What would this open set in R look like?

• Thread starter lunde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a well ordering of the real numbers using singleton sets of odd numbers. The set U is defined as the intersection of the real numbers and the singleton sets, and it is argued that U is closed. However, there are concerns about the construction and the possibility of infinite ordinals. The conversation concludes by discussing the issue of limit ordinals and their relationship to the concept of being even or odd.
lunde
Well order the real numbers, let [tex] {a_n}_{n \in S_{\Omega} } [/tex] be the the singleton sets of odd numbers in the well order (i.e. skip a number, grab a number, skip a number, grab a number). Since the real numbers are [tex] T_1 [/tex] then singleton sets are closed. [tex] \mathbb{R} [/tex] as a topological space is closed by definition. Let [tex] U := \mathbb{R} \bigcap_{n \in S_{\omega} } {a_n} [/tex] . Then U is closed and hence [tex] \mathbb{R} \backslash U [/tex] is open.

Is my logic correct here? It just seemed strange to me that this set would be open. Does anyone know what this set would look like? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your construction is somewhat confusing, and in my best guess at your intent, U is the empty set.

Incidentally, what are you doing about infinite ordinals? I suppose you could decree limit ordinals to be even, and extend the notion of being even/odd from there.

As a well ordening of the reals requires the axiom of choice, I don't think one could imagine how the set looks like.

More importantly, while any set can be "well ordered", that does NOT imply that, given one number, there exist a "next" number. That is only possible for "countable" sets and the real numbers are not countable.

You could ask this question of the rational numbers but then I think that Landau's comment is valid.

HallsofIvy said:
More importantly, while any set can be "well ordered", that does NOT imply that, given one number, there exist a "next" number.
That one's guaranteed -- every ordinal has a successor. It's the reverse that can fail: limit ordinals do not have a predecessor.

FAQ: What would this open set in R look like?

1. What is an open set in R?

An open set in R is a subset of the real numbers that contains all the points within it without including its boundary points. In other words, it is a set that does not include its endpoints.

2. How is an open set different from a closed set?

An open set and a closed set are opposites. While an open set does not include its endpoints, a closed set contains all its boundary points. Another way to think of it is that an open set is "open" in the sense that it does not have any restrictions on its boundary points, while a closed set is "closed" in the sense that it includes all its boundary points.

3. What are some examples of open sets in R?

Some examples of open sets in R include the interval (0,1), which contains all real numbers between 0 and 1 but does not include 0 or 1, and the set of all positive real numbers, which does not include 0.

4. Can an open set in R be unbounded?

Yes, an open set in R can be unbounded. For example, the set of all real numbers (R) is an open set that is unbounded, as it does not have any limitations on the values it can contain.

5. How is an open set visualized?

An open set in R is often visualized as a shaded region on a number line or coordinate plane. The shaded region represents the set of all real numbers within the open set, while the unshaded regions represent the numbers not included in the set.