What's the Stupidest Show on Television? My Top Pick Will Shock You!

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Television
In summary: I don't even know what they're called now. :(Babylon 5 is still around, but I haven't seen it in a while.
From the few episodes I watched they messed up on Legend of the Seeker quite a bit. It also reminded me too much of Hercules and Xena.

Absolute worst show I can think of is one I have only listened to as my friend watched it on his laptop... True Blood. Ridiculously horrible. Like a cross between Buffy and one of those crappy new shows like Weeds or Desperate Housewives.
The rest of you lose. I promise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whale wars.

Well the show itself is awesome to watch, just to see the SS get owned. But the people in it are so incredibly stupid it makes it hard to watch.

cronxeh said:
In no particular order: Lost, Desperate Whores, Medium, Days of our Lives, Gossip Girl, The Tyra Banks show, Oprah Show, American Idol, 24, Past Life, Bones, Brothers, Dollhouse, Hells Kitchen, Glee, Wandy Sykes, 90% of all NBC shows, 90% of all ABC shows, etc

Wow! Finally I saw someone who thinks Lost is stupid!:approve:
Everyone I know is so interested in Lost but I've not watched it yet.

So is/was there any TV show that you don't find it stupid? Just curious:blushing:

Lisa! said:
Wow! Finally I saw someone who thinks Lost is stupid!:approve:
Everyone I know is so interested in Lost but I've not watched it yet.

So is/was there any TV show that you don't find it stupid? Just curious:blushing:

Yes:
cronxeh said:
Currently I only watch the following shows:

NCIS, Family Guy, Simpsons, Twilight Zone, Burn Notice, Fringe, House, Psych, White Collar, Leverage, and News.

cronxeh said:
Yes:

Oops! Sorry I hadn't seen that post!

Evo said:
Did you read the books?

Nope, not much of a reader.

I saw the brunette

Same here. Bridget Reagan is a fox.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/9186/bridget-regan-lots.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most shows are pretty stupid, but that's always been the case. Everybody says reality tv is stupid, but then they watch a show about people on a mysterious magical island with a smoke monster, whatever that is (they also watch reality tv). And they think it's "deep" or something.

The Simpsons is garbage now, The Office got pretty dumb, and Arrested Development was canceled. The new Dr. Who was pretty good, but I haven't seen it lately. Nobody mentioned Sportscenter, but is it even possible to repeat the same plays and overly dramatic storylines any more than they do? I wouldn't be surprised if I turned it on and saw Jordan's "last shot" still being replayed endlessly.

But there are some stupid shows that are fully aware of their trashy status and just become good. Married With Children and Jerry Springer come to mind. Unbelievably trashy, but at least they didn't take themselves too seriously.

I recently found out that one of the Real Wives or Orange County, or whatever the name, is my cousin's neighbor. I've seen about five minutes of the show a few times but couldn't take any more. Cuz says the woman is absolutely looney. She also said the woman is the same in real life as she is on tv. It is not a puton.

Another absurd reality show that I saw advertised is Conviction Kitchen, or something like that. The premise is that convicts are used as chefs. Cripes. Who watches this stuff?

Last edited:
Tobias Funke said:
Most shows are pretty stupid, but that's always been the case. Everybody says reality tv is stupid, but then they watch a show about people on a mysterious magical island with a smoke monster, whatever that is (they also watch reality tv). And they think it's "deep" or something.

The Simpsons is garbage now, The Office got pretty dumb, and Arrested Development was canceled.
I was going to say: "Any show that was not 'Arrested Development'," but it just seemed too obvious.

I really don't have time for TV at all.

I am going to find out how LOST turns out, but I'll wait until it's done, and stream the last two or three shows.

I really need to know if they actually had a plan, or if they were starting to make it up as they go along. It's my theory that they had some paid staffers who's job it was to guess where the plot was going, and when they made their guesses, the writers deliberately F'ed up the plot some more. There are so many loose ends right now, that either the whole thing is going to be the most egregious deus ex machina cop-out ending, or the single most brilliant plot twister ever created.

Last edited:
I want to see "Real Engineers" followed by "Real Scientists". They could do 'real experiments' with 'real stuff' and be 'really cool'.

The highlight of the season could be BobG and his amazing collection of slide rules!

Maybe we could do "Real Teachers", or even better "Real High School Science Teachers".

:rolleyes:

Chi Meson said:
I was going to say: "Any show that was not 'Arrested Development'," but it just seemed too obvious.

I really don't have time for TV at all.

I am going to find out how LOST turns out, but I'll wait until it's done, and stream the last two or three shows.

I really need to know if they actually had a plan, or if they were starting to make it up as they go along. It's my theory that they had some paid staffers who's job it was to guess where the plot was going, and when they made their guesses, the writers deliberately F'ed up the plot some more. There are so many loose ends right now, that either the whole thing is going to be a deus ex machina ending, or the single most brilliant plot twister ever created.
Lost lost me after the first season, I missed some of the second season and when I tuned in suddenly there were buildings and weird people and they had all kinds of things that seemed to have appeared by magic and I knew at that point I would never be able to get back into it again. Too bad because the first season was tolerable.

If you've watched the whole thing, maybe you could write a season by season progression of what happened.

Aside from cooking shows, I am hooked on the History Channel's new show American Pickers about two guys that drive around looking for people that have tons of old junk in their yards and try to find and buy things they can resell. I thought, wow, what a dumb idea for a show, but I love it, the memorabilia and the history behind the things is really interesting. It's followed by another show I'm hooked on Pawn Stars about a pawn shop in Las Vegas, again very interesting historical facts and these people are just loveable. An upscale, honest, pawn shop with a love of history. I want to work there.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I want to see "Real Engineers" followed by "Real Scientists". They could do 'real experiments' with 'real stuff' and be 'really cool'.

The highlight of the season could be BobG and his amazing collection of slide rules!

Maybe we could do "Real Teachers", or even better "Real High School Science Teachers".

:rolleyes:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh no,no,no,no,no,no,no you don't want to see that. Not most of them anyway, and I'm not letting the cameras in.

Chi Meson said:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh no,no,no,no,no,no,no you don't want to see that. Not most of them anyway, and I'm not letting the cameras in.
Not evening for "Keeping up with Chi Meson"!?

How about "Real PF Mentors"?

Ivan Seeking said:
How about "Real PF Mentors"?
Will we get paid?

Evo said:
Will we get paid?

Triple our current salaries.

Ivan Seeking said:
Triple our current salaries.
:-p I'm in!

cronxeh said:
I watched them because I keep my horizons open. Currently I only watch the following shows:

NCIS, Family Guy, Simpsons, Twilight Zone, Burn Notice, Fringe, House, Psych, White Collar, Leverage, and News.
Walter Bishop is quite possibly the most interesting character on any type of prime time drama. I think he is absolutely hilarious, and he is the main reason I follow the show. Fringe is the only show of its kind that I watch, and I must say that I find it pretty good considering the norm on those channels.

I usually hover between The Science Channel (How it's Made), Food Network (Good Eats!), National Geographic, Discovery, History, HDNet (K-1), and PBS (mostly for Charlie Rose and Frontline). Occasionally I'll watch Comedy Central for The Daily Show or The Colbert Report.

Edit: Oops, worst show...

I am going to have to go with The Glen Beck Program. Sorry, the guy is looney.

Last edited:
cronxeh said:
I don't watch stupid shows.
cronxeh said:
Currently I only watch the following shows:

Contradiction in bold. :smile:

I see that you only watch shows that fit the description "every episode identical to every other episode", i.e. shows that don't tell any kind of story. I find those pretty boring myself. (OK, Fringe doesn't quite fit that pattern, but it's close. It has far too many standalone episodes for my taste. I also haven't seen White collar).

There's been a bunch of negative comments about Lost, so I'll add my opinion. It's easily one of top 5 most entertaining shows ever. Some of the ideas that the writers came up with were really stupid (the worst one being how they got back to the island), but I really don't agree that it's a stupid show.

I'd rather mention seasons than shows in my stupid list. These are some really stupid ones:

* Heroes, especially season 3 (Season 4 was stupid enough to make the list on its own, but season 3 must be the stupidest season of any show ever1).
* Prison break seasons 3-4.
* 24 seasons 4-6
* Alias season 5

Flash Forward seems like a good candidate to take over Lost's position as the most frustrating/annoying show on TV. (Seriously, why the frak don't they just ask the kid who D. Gibbons is??).1) Don't ask me why I saw season 4. :biggrin:

Dembadon said:
Walter Bishop is quite possibly the most interesting character on any type of prime time drama. I think he is absolutely hilarious, and he is the main reason I follow the show.
I have to agree with that, even though I find the show pretty disappointing, and sometimes really stupid. (A computer virus that turns your brain into liquid? Really?) My favorite Walter moment was when he told Peter that he hopes Olivia won't find out that he used the FBI credit card to buy 2000 dollars worth of baboon semen, because he doesn't remember why he ordered it.

Dembadon said:
Walter Bishop is quite possibly the most interesting character on any type of prime time drama. I think he is absolutely hilarious, and he is the main reason I follow the show. Fringe is the only show of its kind that I watch, and I must say that I find it pretty good considering the norm on those channels.

I usually hover between The Science Channel (How it's Made), Food Network (Good Eats!), National Geographic, Discovery, History, HDNet (K-1), and PBS (mostly for Charlie Rose and Frontline). Occasionally I'll watch Comedy Central for The Daily Show or The Colbert Report.

Edit: Oops, worst show...

I am going to have to go with The Glen Beck Program. Sorry, the guy is looney.

Fringe is a crappy show in general. Walter Bishop is the best actor anywhere near that show, and he makes everyone else better too. Isn't it sad that everyone else still sucks. Walter kills me, he's hilarious.

As for my input, the only thing Lost makes me do is hate the hour i just spent, and be at a loss for words to describe how bad it is. I remember from the end of season 1 to the beginning of season 2 i must have watched about 8 episodes in a row and I tried to write a plot timeline, my page was blank

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Not evening for "Keeping up with Chi Meson"!?

More like "Picking up after Chi Meson."

I do not have the neatest lab.

I'd watch that.

Fredrik said:
A computer virus that turns your brain into liquid? Really?
Well, if Neal Stephenson can make a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash" on the concept, then yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a physical reaction to watching Jerry Springer. It makes me nauseous. I've never seen Maury and I hope to keep it that way. I don't have an opinion about most shows.

Shows I do enjoy, Flash Forward, Fringe, Caprica, House, Legend of the Seeker, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Dexter, Californication. I enjoyed Babylon 5 on dvd from start to finish, and BStar was amazing except for the last half hour of the series.

Has anyone seen Maury with Maury Povich? His show makes Jerry Springer look like an intellectual gathering.
I won't even turn my TV off on that station when that show is on. It's one of those shows where if I come across it, I have to quickly change channels as far away from that channel as I can get just so I can be least associated with it.

But there's too many bad shows to name them all. My friend's wife watches some of the most shameful garbage on TV. Shows so bad I'll just leave the room.
I have a physical reaction to watching Jerry Springer. It makes me nauseous.
I agree completely. It's mentally and physically painful for me to watch that show. My friend used to watch it and I'd catch some portions of it and I would get a pain in my chest. I would also start feeling nauseous and get a slight headache. I'll leave it at that because my head is starting to hurt talking about it.

Huckleberry said:
Shows I do enjoy, Flash Forward, Fringe, Caprica, House, Legend of the Seeker, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Dexter, Californication. I enjoyed Babylon 5 on dvd from start to finish, and BStar was amazing except for the last half hour of the series.
Anything that's not sci-fi or modern drama? :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
Anything that's not sci-fi or modern drama? :wink:

Legend of the Seeker is fantasy. ;-)

dacruick said:
Fringe is a crappy show in general. Walter Bishop is the best actor anywhere near that show, and he makes everyone else better too. Isn't it sad that everyone else still sucks. Walter kills me, he's hilarious.
The son reminds me of a watered down Eddie Izzard.
I watched the first season back to back and was rather appalled by the ridiculous science that put even X-Files to shame. I still thought it was sort of charming in its own way. And Walter was definitely the most entertaining character.

TMZ. What a waste!

DaveC426913 said:
Deal or No Deal. A game show that is so lame it doesn't even bother to have a theme.

I think we have a winner here. I tried watching that show twice. Once I even managed to force myself to watch an entire show.

Ever notice how frequently they change cameras on that show? The one time I watched it all the way through I kept track--there were two camera shots that lasted 3 seconds, and all the rest were 1-2 seconds.

I may be able to provide input here after tomorrow, providing I can convince myself to watch any TV shows. TDS (my phone and broad-band provider) has offered to reduce my phone and DSL bill by $20/mo if I add the lowest-tier of Dish network. Free installation, free HD-ready receiver with free connection to our 2nd TV. Essentially, I'll be paying $14/month for satellite TV, and my phone/DSL rates will be locked in for life. Since we lost about 5 broadcast channels (and their .2 equivalents) in the switch-over to digital TV, it seems like a reasonable way to get more choice for a small charge.

I'm looking forward to getting Discovery, History, CNN, CSPAN, Comedy Central, and others, and my wife likes the Food network. Much of the 120 "favorite channels" are padded with religious programming, info-mercials, and shopping channels, so we'll block those.

turbo-1 said:
I may be able to provide input here after tomorrow, providing I can convince myself to watch any TV shows. TDS (my phone and broad-band provider) has offered to reduce my phone and DSL bill by $20/mo if I add the lowest-tier of Dish network. Free installation, free HD-ready receiver with free connection to our 2nd TV. Essentially, I'll be paying $14/month for satellite TV, and my phone/DSL rates will be locked in for life. Since we lost about 5 broadcast channels (and their .2 equivalents) in the switch-over to digital TV, it seems like a reasonable way to get more choice for a small charge.

I'm looking forward to getting Discovery, History, CNN, CSPAN, Comedy Central, and others, and my wife likes the Food network. Much of the 120 "favorite channels" are padded with religious programming, info-mercials, and shopping channels, so we'll block those.

So, you'll be getting phone, internet, and Sat TV for a total of $34 per month?

Chi Meson said:
So, you'll be getting phone, internet, and Sat TV for a total of $34 per month?
I wish. I was paying about $68 and after the Dish installation, it will be $82.

Still a good deal. We have Gold HD, internet and phone and are paying under 100 a month.

turbo-1 said:
I'm looking forward to getting Discovery, History, CNN, CSPAN, Comedy Central, and others, and my wife likes the Food network.

I think these days the Food Network has more science than the Discovery Channel...if not, it's pretty close.