What's the View Like From My New Place?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, Bear with me, I'm learning how to use my camera phone and I've just e-mailed these to myself from my phone. When I get my SD adaptor hopefully they'll look better.
Well, I'm renting a space to store some of it.

I have a central vacuum at my new place, but I'm wary of using it. I'm afraid I'll do something wrong, there's some bag that goes into this big drum attached to the wall in the laundry room and the top is above my head. The manager said when I need it emptied to call and maintenace will pick it up. I already have an expensive vacuum. One of the girls I work with said she loves central vacs. Anyone use them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:

I have a central vacuum at my new place, but I'm wary of using it. I'm afraid I'll do something wrong, there's some bag that goes into this big drum attached to the wall in the laundry room and the top is above my head. The manager said when I need it emptied to call and maintenace will pick it up. I already have an expensive vacuum. One of the girls I work with said she loves central vacs. Anyone use them?

well-try to empty out the storage unit into the new place soon ---if you can---things get put it and (almost) forgotten and not done anything with---PLUS they're expensive when you think about it over the long tem which it usually what happens (does that sound like personal experience?)

does a shopvac count?----yeah--I haven't got one, I've used one one place---they seem great and I would like to put one in here. (yes--here on the PF)

Last edited:
My sister-in-law has a central vac and loves it. Her house has three levels, and she only has to lug the hose and vacuum head around. The vac motor is larger and more powerful than regular vacs, and since it is isolated in an insulated room, it is very quiet in use.

I guess I could get a step stool so I can look into the drum to see if there is a bag in it, there is one laying on top of it. With two long haired animals, I'm constantly vacuuming.

turbo-1 said:
It's probably a red-tail, Evo.

You got to watch out for those red-tail Evo's. dangerous animals, especially when they are wounded or guarding their young.

I know people who had those, and lugging around all that hose seemed cumbersome to me (I needed to use it while house sitting for them once...black cat and white carpets/furniture meant vacuuming needed to get done often). The only place it was beneficial was on stairs where you didn't have to lug a heavy vacuum up and down to get them cleaned well (all those really lightweight vacuums that are easy to move on stairs really don't clean so well).

On the other hand, if someone else was emptying the vacuum bag for me, I think I'd go for that option. :biggrin:

I've got a Fathom and its really good, --I think I'd either go with a Dyson or a central system

----I had a storage rental for about 1 1/2 years ----it bothered me all the time, that I had it. When I finally build my garage and unloaded the unit--things were ruined--I should have put everything up on pallets and thrown some mouse killer in there.

---anyway, Evo, if your stuff's not on pallets, putting some mouse proofing (D-con) may do some preventive damage (just a suggestion, though)

-----
edit, edit, edit, EDIT!

(may prevent some damage)

Last edited:
rewebster said:
may do some preventive damage (just a suggestion, though)

Q: What are you doing?

A: Preventive damage.

:biggrin:

funny---

it sounded better when I was typing it out

(I guess that's why they invented the 'edit' button)

Evo said:

If I burn down my neighbor's house to keep it from being damaged by a potential earthquake, is that a good defense? :rolleyes:

depends---how many earthquakes are there in Maine?

Evo said:

:smile: I guess that depends on whether you're the furniture/clothing owner or the mouse.

rewebster said:
depends---how many earthquakes are there in Maine?
Lots, but they tend to be little. A big one could slam us, though, and help mitigate the effects of a lot of minor arson episodes. :biggrin:

Evo said:

My wife and I got one installed in our home last year, and it's been great. For us the biggest improvement is that the dust is entirely exhausted outside (we insisted on an exterior exhaust), which is important for my wife and her allergies. Even the best filters still let some stuff through.

The down side is lugging around a 30' hose. I can manage, but my wife, who's only 5'4" has a harder time with it.

My younger daughter, The Child of Evo, was just here. I took a picture of her with the fruitbat.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5576/ecfbliteef5.jpg

She wants to go into medicine, would you trust her with your life?

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2116/ecaptws1.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6622/ecpumpkinvr3.jpg

ecdogta7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your daughter's a beautiful young woman.

I can imagine coming out of anesthesia and seeing the bunny-face...

lisab said:
Your daughter's a beautiful young woman.

I can imagine coming out of anesthesia and seeing the bunny-face...
Thank you.

Funny, she's thinking about becoming an anesthesiologist. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Thank you.

Funny, she's thinking about becoming an anesthesiologist. :biggrin:
Sorry, Evo ... I'm not sure how I feel about her being an anesthesiologist after seeing her plying that Jack o'lantern with alcohol. Unless maybe she treats only social acquaintances that way! ;-)

belliott4488 said:
Sorry, Evo ... I'm not sure how I feel about her being an anesthesiologist after seeing her plying that Jack o'lantern with alcohol.

:smile: Indeed, that was quite the mad scientist expression there! :smile:

Alcohol is my favourite anaesthetic.

I'm thinking that pumpkin is feeling no pain. :-p

Can she travel? If I need surgery, a cute and pragmatic anesthesiologist would be a plus! Especially if she'd spin some tunes by Muddy Waters, , Jimi, or early Fleetwood Mac while I was getting cut.

turbo-1 said:
Can she travel? If I need surgery, a cute and pragmatic anesthesiologist would be a plus! Especially if she'd spin some tunes by Muddy Waters, , Jimi, or early Fleetwood Mac while I was getting cut.
Oh ... are you a Peter Green fan? Hardly anyone seems to remember him any more! He was amazing.

My sister is in band that plays covers, and they do one of the songs from the megapop version of FM, but I had to tell her that they also did another FM song - Black Magic Woman, which, of course, they thought was a Santana song.

Evo said:
I'm thinking that pumpkin is feeling no pain. :-p

When I was that age, I'd have never let my mother get ahold of such pictures. Now I'm sure I made the right choice, seeing as how they get so rapidly spread all over the internet. :smile:

Moonbear said:
When I was that age, I'd have never let my mother get ahold of such pictures. Now I'm sure I made the right choice, seeing as how they get so rapidly spread all over the internet. :smile:
These came off of her facebook page.

It's probably good that the internet was not around when I was young.

Last edited:
Evo said:
These came off of her facebook page.

It's probably good that the internet was not around when I was young.

And people wondered why I wasn't too keen on Facebook. :biggrin:

It's way too easy for parents to check up on kids anymore, between the internet and cell phones. I'm not sure it's always for the best either. I think there was some value in moving away from home and NOT being able to reach our parents immediately to solve problems for us, or to have them constantly checking in.

Then again, when we were off at a boyfriend's dorm room when our parents called, they KNEW we weren't in our own room. With cell phones, they don't have a clue where you are when you answer, and you don't have to count on roommates providing good cover stories.

belliott4488 said:
Oh ... are you a Peter Green fan? Hardly anyone seems to remember him any more! He was amazing.

My sister is in band that plays covers, and they do one of the songs from the megapop version of FM, but I had to tell her that they also did another FM song - Black Magic Woman, which, of course, they thought was a Santana song.
Peter was killer. When he agreed to come over to Apple records, the Beatles released "Here Comes the Sun King" to seal the deal. Peter had a tone so sweet that BB King said his music made him break out in a cold sweat. I glommed onto PG in the 1960's and followed him every step of the way since, through his apprenticeship with John Mayall, through Fleetwood Mac (which he named to honor Mick Fleetwood and John MacVie) ande he was stunning.

I spent a lot of time trying to copy his tone (including modifying my guitars) and trying to replicate his music. I hope I did well enough. People seemed happy enough with my versions of Black Magic Woman and especially Jumping at Shadows.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
And people wondered why I wasn't too keen on Facebook. :biggrin:

It's way too easy for parents to check up on kids anymore, between the internet and cell phones. I'm not sure it's always for the best either. I think there was some value in moving away from home and NOT being able to reach our parents immediately to solve problems for us, or to have them constantly checking in.

Then again, when we were off at a boyfriend's dorm room when our parents called, they KNEW we weren't in our own room. With cell phones, they don't have a clue where you are when you answer, and you don't have to count on roommates providing good cover stories.
Actually, I don't post on facebook or My Space because it is for teens and young 20's mainly. I can see professors posting on facebook to try to keep in touch with students. My Space, I feel, is just for teenagers. I don't think even my kids post there, but maybe so. Yes, I know older people post there, which IMO, is creepy. It's a kid thing, old geezers need to back off. Get a life, you're not 16 anymore, mkay?

Evo said:
My younger daughter, The Child of Evo, was just here. I took a picture of her with the fruitbat.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5576/ecfbliteef5.jpg

She wants to go into medicine, would you trust her with your life?

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2116/ecaptws1.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6622/ecpumpkinvr3.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3920/ecdogta7.jpg[/QUOTE][/URL]

Ok, one time I was at an award ceremony for pilots, and there was this BIMBO woman, who acted like 'barbie pilot'. This woman actually flew a 767, but dressed and talked like she was 16 (she was in her 40's). Yes, she was blonde. Everyone looked at each other like, how the hell does this woman fly an airplane, because I sure as hell don't want to be on that plane! Total moron that woman was. She looked exactly like barbie derssing up to play pilot. When she got her award, she said: 'hehehe thanks for this award, hehehe' ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
Ok, one time I was at an award ceremony for pilots, and there was this BIMBO woman, who acted like 'barbie pilot'. This woman actually flew a 767, but dressed and talked like she was 16 (she was in her 40's). Yes, she was blonde. Everyone looked at each other like, how the hell does this woman fly an airplane, because I sure as hell don't want to be on that plane! Total moron that woman was. She looked exactly like barbie derssing up to play pilot. When she got her award, she said: 'hehehe thanks for this award, hehehe' ...
What does that have to do with my 3.9GPA daughter that has won National Honors in Chemistry, Biology, Math and English? In high school she took all AP and honors classes. Are you saying my daughter is dumb?

Evo said:
What does that have to do with my 3.9GPA daughter that has won National Honors in Chemistry, Biology, Math and English? In high school she took all AP and honors classes. Are you saying my daughter is dumb?

No! Relax mama bear. I don't want to get eaten.

Im just saying that woman was dumb as bricks and was trusted with a multi million dollar airplane and hundreds of peoples lives. If she can do that, anything is possible.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Actually, I don't post on facebook or My Space because it is for teens and young 20's mainly. I can see professors posting on facebook to try to keep in touch with students. My Space, I feel, is just for teenagers. I don't think even my kids post there, but maybe so. Yes, I know older people post there, which IMO, is creepy. It's a kid thing, old geezers need to back off. Get a life, you're not 16 anymore, mkay?

I don't think that's true. I have a myspace page, and everyone that I have as "friends" on it is well over 20 (over 30 even). It seems that most of my students have pages on both sites. You should check out Tom's myspace thread. :-p The "kids" are all over at Facebook. I think Myspace has more adults on it.

Moonbear said:
I don't think that's true. I have a myspace page, and everyone that I have as "friends" on it is well over 20 (over 30 even). It seems that most of my students have pages on both sites. You should check out Tom's myspace thread. :-p The "kids" are all over at Facebook. I think Myspace has more adults on it.

Thats because facebook was originally made for only people with a .edu school account. Its a great way to send out/receive mass invites to parties and events.

Cyrus said:
No! Relax mama bear. I don't want to get eaten.
And you would get eaten. I finished High School when I was 14. I was one of those bizarre
children that the schools didn't know what to do with. Or with what to do. I fell off the scales. Downside, I was self educated because the public school system couldn't keep up with me and I refused to go to a school for the "Academically Able".

You are lucky that school has not tried to confine you to a lower level of achievement, which was the case back when I was in school. As one teacher told me "I cannot teach two classes, and since the other kids can't keep up with you, you will have to slow down."

Are you kidding me. I got my A's in high school by doing the minimal amount of work. My high school was HORRIBLE. Boy, college sure did slap me in the face hard first semester. What do you mean I have to do WORK?

I got a big fat D- in calculus 2. I mean, I took AP calclus in high school, so its the same thing right? Errrrrrrrrr, wrong.

I had no study habbits my first semester of college. I went out and rode my bike instead of studying. Mmmm, yeah. Not so smart.

Last edited: