When does average velocity equal instantaneous velocity?

• Thread starter jwxie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, the instantaneous velocity is equal to the average velocity at the following moments of time: 0 seconds, 2 seconds, and 8 seconds. This is because at these points, the function for velocity is either a constant or a linear equation, making the instantaneous velocity equal to the average velocity.
jwxie
instantaneous v = average v (solved)

Homework Statement

Indicate moments of time when the average velocity is equal to instantaneous velocity.

Given values

t (s) 0 | 2 | 5 | 7 | 8
x (m) 0 | 4 | 16 | 12 | 11

t (s) 0 | 2 | 5 | 7 | 8
v (m/s) 0 | 4 | 4 | 0 | -2

Homework Equations

X = At^2 + Bt + C
V = At + B

V(int) = lim delta x / delta t as t approaches zero

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two problems before this.

[a] Find average velocity of the object during first 5 second. 16/5 m/s
Find the average acceleration of the object during the same period. 4-0/5 = 4/5

I also find out the average velocity for each noticeable time intervals.

0 - A : 4-0/2-0 = 2 m/s
A - B = 16-4 / 5-2 = 4m/s
B - C = 12-16/7-5 = -2m/s
C- D = 11-12/8-7 = -1m/s

One way to find the instantaneous velocity is to take the slope of the tangent line on position vs time graph.
Another way is to find out the function of each interval and take ds/dt

So, in general, X(t) = At^2 + Bt + C

If we take V = At + B
let t = 0, and V is also 0,

V = At, and when t = 1, V = 2, 2 = A(1), A = 2, so for velocity of 0 - A time interval, I see the function is
V = 2t

This is true for 0 - A, B - C and C - D interval (i also think C - D is just part of B - C)

For A - B, it is constant velocity, so it is just a constant, V = 4

Now, coming back to solve [c] find instantaneous, I see X = At^2 + Bt + C

I use similar technique, and try to find a function for each time interval. If I do, I take dx / dt, and plug in the time, to find the instanteous velocity at any time.

I also know that constant velocity at any time = its instantaneous, but what about the rest.

So far, is my approach correct? I feel like I am doing too much here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pushed, any thoughts is appreciated.

FAQ: When does average velocity equal instantaneous velocity?

What is the concept of "Instantaneous v = average v"?

The concept of "Instantaneous v = average v" refers to the relationship between instantaneous velocity and average velocity. Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the average rate of change of an object's position over a certain period of time.

How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific point in time, while average velocity is the overall velocity over a period of time. Instantaneous velocity takes into account any changes in an object's velocity over time, while average velocity only considers the initial and final velocity.

Why is instantaneous velocity sometimes equal to average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity can be equal to average velocity if the object is moving at a constant velocity. This means that the object's velocity does not change over time, so the instantaneous velocity at any point in time will be the same as the average velocity.

What factors can cause instantaneous velocity to be different from average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity can differ from average velocity if the object is accelerating or decelerating, as this means the velocity is changing over time. Additionally, any external forces or factors, such as friction or air resistance, can also affect the instantaneous velocity of an object.

How is the concept of "Instantaneous v = average v" used in real-world applications?

The concept of "Instantaneous v = average v" is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and aerodynamics. It is particularly useful in analyzing the motion of objects and understanding the relationship between an object's velocity and its position over time.

Back