When is the sample median preferred to the sample mean?

In summary: In that case, the range would be very large. For d & e): I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.
sara_87

Homework Statement

i have a few easy questions but i need some help with them:
1)
a) Why do we need averages?
b) Which average can have more than one value?
c) Which average represents the value when the total of all the sample values is shared out equally?
d) Which average has the same number of values above it below it?
e) When is the sample median preferred to the sample mean?
f) When is the sample mode preferred to the sample mean?
g) When is the sample mean preferred to both the sample median and the sample mode?

2)
a) Why do we need measures of variation ?
b) What measure of variation is most useful in the case of: (i) a symmetrical distribution, (ii) a skew distribution'?
c) Think of an example of sample data where the range would be a misleading measure of variation.
d) Name the measure of variation associated with the: (i) sample mean, (ii) sample median, (iii) sample mode.
e) Name the average associated with the: (i) sample standard deviation, (ii) sample inter-quartile range, (iii) range.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
a) to analyse the data
b) when there's more than one dependent variable
c) i don't know
d)i don't know
e)when there's numerical data
f) when there's discrete data
g) when the histogram is symmetrical

2)
a) i don't know
b) i) mean/standard deviation ii) median/interquartile range
c) i don't know
d) i don't know
e) i don't know

any help would be very appreciated.
thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1)
a) to analyse the data: WOULD "SUMMARIZE" BE A BETTER WORD THAN "ANALYZE"?
b) when there's more than one dependent variable: NO. I AM INCLINED TO SAY "MOVING AVERAGE" BUT THAT'LL DEPEND ON THE CONTEXT.
c) i don't know: CAN YOU THINK OF AN EXAMPLE?
d)i don't know: DITTO
e)when there's numerical data: NO -- IT HAS TO DO WITH SYMMETRY AND OUTLIERS
f) when there's discrete data: NO -- IT HAS TO DO WITH "NUMERICAL DATA" VS. _________ ("DISCRETE" CAN ALSO BE NUMERICAL; E.G., INTEGER NUMBERS ARE DISCRETE)
g) when the histogram is symmetrical: THIS WILL FOLLOW FROM E AND F ABOVE

2)
a) i don't know: TO SUMMARIZE EXPANSIVENESS OF DATA?
b) i) mean/standard deviation ii) median/interquartile range: MEAN AND MEDIAN AREN'T MEASURES OF VARIATION. (THEY ARE MEASURES OF LOCATION.)
c) i don't know: THINK "OUTLIER(S)"
d & e) i don't know: D & E ARE "MATCHING PAIRS," YOU NEED TO MAKE THE RIGHT MATCHES.

Last edited:
i don't undrerstand what they mean by measures of vairation ??

sara_87 said:
i don't undrerstand what they mean by measures of vairation ??
Consider these two sets of numbers:
Set #1 : {2,1,2,2,2,3,2,2}
Set #2 : {3,1,2,2,0,2,4,2}
Both sets have the same mean, median, and mode. The second set exhibits a lot more deviations from the mean than does the first set.

so why do we need measures of variation, I'm sorry i just don't understand.

and i still don't know how to do question 2

:(

For a), D H practically gave you the answer: because they give us some information we would otherwise miss.
For c): How is the range determined? Can you think, for example, of a set with a very wide range but very small variations?

Related to When is the sample median preferred to the sample mean?

1. What is the sample median?

The sample median is the middle value in a set of data when the values are arranged in ascending or descending order.

2. How is the sample median calculated?

To calculate the sample median, the data must first be arranged in ascending or descending order. If there is an odd number of values, the median is the middle value. If there is an even number of values, the median is the average of the two middle values.

3. When is the sample median preferred to the sample mean?

The sample median is preferred to the sample mean when the data is skewed or has extreme outliers. In these cases, the median is a more accurate representation of the central tendency of the data.

4. What are the advantages of using the sample median?

Using the sample median can provide a more robust measure of central tendency, as it is not affected by extreme values. It can also be more appropriate when the data is not normally distributed.

5. Are there any situations where the sample mean is preferred over the sample median?

Yes, the sample mean is preferred over the sample median when the data is normally distributed and does not have any extreme values. In these cases, the mean is a more precise measure of central tendency.