When to use exponents or multiply by constants in the rate law?

adf89812
TL;DR Summary
When to Multiply by Constants and do exponentiation in rate law equation ?
1721817595221.png

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You raise concentration to the power given by the stoichiometric coefficient, internal structure of the molecule (amount of atoms of different elements) doesn't matter (well, it can matter for the mechanism, but for a single step kinetics these are just black boxes doing some magic).

This is not different from the way reaction quotient is defined.

Borek said:
You raise concentration to the power given by the stoichiometric coefficient, internal structure of the molecule (amount of atoms of different elements) doesn't matter (well, it can matter for the mechanism, but for a single step kinetics these are just black boxes doing some magic).

This is not different from the way reaction quotient is defined.
where does the doubling in the
1721818519890.png
come from?

Rate of the reaction is ##k_3[H_2][ I]^2## but because of the stoichiometry I is consumed twice as fast.

Borek said:
Rate of the reaction is ##k_3[H_2][ I]^2## but because of the stoichiometry I is consumed twice as fast.
The stoichiometry coefficient of two means both double the speed and square the exponent on the concentration term always?

adf89812 said:
The stoichiometry coefficient of two means both double the speed and square the exponent on the concentration term always?
the stoichiometry coefficient on the reactant side of the decomposition has two effects always?

Back