Which flash memory is the best?

In summary, there are so many to choose from, Compact Flash, SD/MMC, memory stick etc. SD cards are the best IMO. They are the smallest in size for a given capacity and have the largest possible future capacity (8GB).
Saint
there are so many to choose, cpmpact flash, SD/MMC, memory stick etc.
I just bought a card reader, USB2.0, now plan to invest in flash memory, donno which is better? :confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
I heard of a thing called a skeleton key, seems to be the best memory stick of them all :)
Has about a gig so I am told

SD cards are the best IMO. They are the smallest in size for a given capacity and have the largest possible future capacity (8GB). For comparison, Compact Flash is technologically limited to 2GB. I have a 256 MB SD card I use with a Fujifilm S5000.

Compact Flash is technologically limited to 2GB
Why?
I also plan to buy SD for my camera.

How newer compact flash breaks the 2GB limit

Saint said:
Sirus said:
Compact Flash is technologically limited to 2GB
Why?
Older digital cameras only used FAT16 formatting and so all compact flash (CF) has to also use FAT16 in order to be compatible. FAT16 addressability is limited to 2GB.

Newer digital cameras can use both FAT16 and FAT32. CF can be manufactured for either one, but manufacturing CF with excusive FAT32 compatibility is not economically feasible since such CF would be incompatible with legacy digital cameras. The very latest high-capacity CF solves this problem by simultaneously offering compatibility with both FAT16 AND FAT32:

• 4GB Compact Flash Card

SanDisk also just announced the first 4 GB CompactFlash card that can be used in any CompactFlash device.

The card features a three-position switch so consumers can choose between either a single 4GB (FAT32) volume or two separate 2GB (FAT16) volumes. The switchable 4GB card ensures that users of cameras with either file format will be able to use the new card...

The File Allocation Table (FAT) is an area on storage media that contains certain information such as the location of data files, their names, sizes and so on. FAT16, the initial file allocation table that is used by a number of current and most older digital cameras, cannot use CompactFlash cards that are greater than 2GB. FAT32 uses a 32-bit number to point to where the pieces of a file are stored and circumvents the 2GB capacity limit to allow access to storage media up to several Terabytes.

Last edited:
a salesman told me SD is better than MMC, true?

Related to Which flash memory is the best?

1. What is the difference between SLC, MLC, and TLC flash memory?

SLC (Single Level Cell) flash memory stores one bit per cell, MLC (Multi-Level Cell) stores two or more bits per cell, and TLC (Triple-Level Cell) stores three or more bits per cell. SLC is faster and more durable, but also more expensive compared to MLC and TLC.

2. How do I determine the storage capacity I need for my device?

The storage capacity you need depends on the size and type of files you plan to store. For example, photos and videos take up more space compared to documents and spreadsheets. It is recommended to estimate your storage needs and choose a flash memory with slightly more capacity than what you think you will require.

3. Is it better to choose a larger or smaller storage capacity for flash memory?

It ultimately depends on your needs and budget. A larger storage capacity means you can store more files and have room for future growth. However, a larger capacity also means a higher cost. If you only need to store a few files, a smaller capacity may be more cost-effective.

4. What are the read and write speeds of flash memory and why are they important?

Read speed refers to how quickly data can be accessed from the memory, while write speed refers to how quickly data can be written to the memory. These speeds are important for tasks such as transferring large files or running applications. Higher read and write speeds can improve the overall performance of your device.

5. How do I ensure the reliability of flash memory?

To ensure the reliability of flash memory, it is important to purchase from a reputable brand and to properly care for the device. Avoid exposing the memory to extreme temperatures, moisture, and magnetic fields. It is also recommended to regularly back up your files to prevent data loss in case of a memory failure.