Who is being honored on 'call everyone Dave day' in the UK?

• Thread starter Dadface
  • Start date
In summary, there is a "call everyone Dave day" in the UK as a tribute to the late Roger Lloyd-Pack aka Trigger from "Only Fools and Horses". This was mentioned in a conversation where one person read "Good morning Dave" in a HAL 9000 voice. They also shared a funny experience of being in a meeting with multiple people named Dave. The conversation then digressed to discussing the proper way to refer to HAL 9000.
Dadface
Many UK members will know that it's "call everyone Dave day".This is as a tribute to the comedic talents and life of the recently departed Roger Lloyd-Pack aka Trigger in "Only Fools and Horses".

And so..."Good morning Dave"

Physics news on Phys.org
Somehow I read it in a HAL's 9000 voice.

(Is it HAL's 9000 or HAL 9000's? Or something even different?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=r6TsxDGtMpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=eucpZjDCat0

Noooooooooooo!

Dadface said:
Many UK members will know that it's "call everyone Dave day".This is as a tribute to the comedic talents and life of the recently departed Roger Lloyd-Pack aka Trigger in "Only Fools and Horses".

And so..."Good morning Dave"
That's funny. I was once in a meeting with over dozen people. There were 5 or 6 Daves in the meeting (there were at least 8 Daves in the organization). So when someone said "Dave", we weren't quite sure which Dave it was being addressed. :smile:

Awright Dave!

Borek said:
Somehow I read it in a HAL's 9000 voice.
That was my reaction too. I was going to reply with "I'm sorry Dave...", then got sidetracked.
(Is it HAL's 9000 or HAL 9000's? Or something even different?)
I expect it should be "HAL 9000's". But most of us just call him HAL, as in "Open the pod bay doors, HAL."

HAL 9000: That is what I thought too.

Related to Who is being honored on 'call everyone Dave day' in the UK?

What does "Good morning Dave" mean?

"Good morning Dave" is a common greeting used to wish someone a good morning, typically named Dave.

Why do people say "Good morning Dave" instead of just "Good morning"?

This phrase is often used as a casual and friendly way to greet someone, adding their name adds a personal touch and makes the interaction more warm and welcoming.

Is "Good morning Dave" only used in the morning?

While it is most commonly used in the morning, it can also be used throughout the day as a friendly greeting.

Where did the phrase "Good morning Dave" originate?

The phrase originated from the 1968 science fiction film 2001: A Space Odyssey, where the character HAL 9000 says it to astronaut Dave Bowman every morning.

What is the significance of the phrase "Good morning Dave" in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey?

The phrase is used by the AI character, HAL 9000, to greet and communicate with the human character, Dave Bowman. It is also used to emphasize the growing tension and conflict between the two characters as the film progresses.