Who Solved the Crime in the Latest Problem of the Week?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the most likely culprit in this week's POTW is someone with a motive and opportunity to commit the crime. There could be more than one culprit, as multiple individuals may have collaborated or had their own motives. Scientists determine the culprit by analyzing evidence, conducting interviews, and reconstructing the crime scene. Forensic science plays a crucial role in identifying the culprit through specialized techniques and equipment. While scientific evidence is usually more reliable, the culprit can also be identified through other forms of evidence such as eye-witness testimony and confessions.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's University POTW.

-----

Four suspects of a crime made the following statements to the police:

Andy: Carl did it.
Bob: I did not do it.
Carl: Dave did it.
Dave: Carl lied when he said I did it.

Given that one of them "did it" and that exactly one of them told the truth, who did it?

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fallen Angel and Kiwi both submitted correct solutions to this week's University Problem of the Week. I include Kiwi's solution:

Numbering the statements:

I Andy: Carl did it.
II. Bob: I did not do it.
III. Carl: Dave did it.
IV. Dave: Carl lied when he said I did it.

If Dave did it then statements II and III would both be correct so Dave did not do it.
If Carl did it then statement s I and II are true so Carl is innocent.
If Andy did it then statements II and IV are both correct so Andy is also innocent.
Bob did it and the only correct statement is IV.

Related to Who Solved the Crime in the Latest Problem of the Week?

1. Who is the most likely culprit in this week's POTW?

The most likely culprit in this week's POTW is the person who has the most motive and opportunity to commit the crime. This could be someone who has a grudge against the victim or who stands to benefit from their death.

2. Could there be more than one culprit in this week's POTW?

It is possible for there to be more than one culprit in this week's POTW. In some cases, multiple people may have collaborated to commit the crime or have their own individual motives for wanting the victim dead.

3. How do scientists determine the culprit in a crime?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the culprit in a crime. This could include analyzing evidence such as DNA, fingerprints, and other physical evidence, conducting interviews and interrogations, and reconstructing the crime scene.

4. What role does forensic science play in identifying the culprit in a crime?

Forensic science plays a crucial role in identifying the culprit in a crime. Forensic scientists use specialized techniques and equipment to analyze evidence and provide valuable insights into the crime, which can help identify the culprit.

5. Can the culprit in a crime be identified without scientific evidence?

In some cases, the culprit in a crime can be identified without scientific evidence. Eye-witness testimony, confessions, and other forms of evidence can also be used to identify the culprit. However, scientific evidence is often considered more reliable and can provide concrete evidence to support a conviction.