Why are ice cubes not really cubes, but trapezes?

• Thread starter Nantes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary: You could argue that the offset shape (1) provides more surface area for thermal transfer and, perhaps more importantly, (2) facilates removing the cubes from the tray.
Nantes
In other words, why are ice cubes trays shaped like the left-hand figure instead of the right-hand one?

d25d00fd19c0d60f71344b6039001d8f.png

If the cube were more square-shaped like the second figure, it would have more volume, thus having more ice in total and keeping the drink cold for longer. I also suspect it would be less likely to slip from people's hands. So why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well beside the fact that I have seen ice cube trays in many different shapes I will pretend that you are right, All ice cubes are shaped as you say.

Release, the sloped walls of the tray make it much easier to get the ice out.

Volume of ice is only one consideration in engineering an ice cube tray. I can see the offset shape (1) provides more surface area for thermal transfer and, perhaps more importantly, (2) facilates removing the cubes from the tray.

What do you think?

Integral said:
Well beside the fact that I have seen ice cube trays in many different shapes I will pretend that you are right, All ice cubes are shaped as you say.Release, the sloped walls of the tray make it much easier to get the ice out.

I apologize for not living in the same country as you, where you have more variety. In Brazil, all ice trays I can remember are indeed shaped as I described.

TumblingDice said:
Volume of ice is only one consideration in engineering an ice cube tray. I can see the offset shape (1) provides more surface area for thermal transfer and, perhaps more importantly, (2) facilates removing the cubes from the tray.

I was thinking about the issue since I posted the thread and I reached the same two conclusions. Are there any more reasons you can think of? Thanks!

Nantes said:
I was thinking about the issue since I posted the thread and I reached the same two conclusions. Are there any more reasons you can think of? Thanks!

Working with the premise to maximize 'functionality', the items I can think an engineer would consider during design would be:
1) Ease of filling.
2) Speed of making ice.
3) Ease of removing ice.
4) Chilling performance.

These are the goals I can think of. There are easy answers to items when taken one at a time, but best solutions for each item can contradict best for others. Maximizing surface area is good for #2, and also #4 but only if rate of chilling is considered better than lifespan of ice cube. Trapezoid assists in #3, and I'm not sure, but maybe slopes also help ease of filling (#1) by reducing 'backsplash'...? Not sure about that one!

So unless you can think of any other 'goals' of the utopian ice cube tray, I'd say these four topics are what the engineers are doing max/min analysis on based on the goals/bias of the end result.

They might be easier to manufacture that way. But that's just a guess. I was also thinking that because ice expands, the cubes might automatically eject themselves a tiny fraction during the freezing process, making them easier to remove.

A quick google search indicates you can get ice cube trays that have all sorts of interesting shapes.

Here's a cool assortment:

20 Unusual and Creative Ice Cube Trays

My current set of ice cube trays create 1/2 inch diameter half cylinders. They are awesome for putting in small necked plastic pop bottles, which I re-use for years as water bottles.

TumblingDice said:
Working with the premise to maximize 'functionality', the items I can think an engineer would consider during design would be:
1) Ease of filling.
2) Speed of making ice.
3) Ease of removing ice.
4) Chilling performance.

And the marketing department could or would negate items 1,2,3,4 for look, packaging, return on cost of production, sex appeal and whatever criteria they would consider to make their product stand out from the rest. Engineering would be predominant only for "can we make it" and how much does manufacturing cost".

The shape also helps with stacking, keeping transport costs (from whatever Chinese manufacturing plant actually makes them) down.

I have the impression that some ice making machines produce cubes, not trapezoial shapes. The clear ice cubes are made by repeatedly layering thin films of water that then freeze to form the cubes.

The shape not only helps release the ice from the tray but it also helps release the tray from the moulding machine that made the tray.

FAQ: Why are ice cubes not really cubes, but trapezes?

1. Why are ice cubes not really cubes?

Ice cubes are not really cubes because they are formed through a freezing process where water molecules arrange themselves in a hexagonal structure. This means that the ice cube will have six sides instead of four, making it more of a hexagon shape than a cube.

2. How does the freezing process affect the shape of ice cubes?

During the freezing process, water molecules move closer together and form a crystal lattice structure. This lattice structure creates a geometric shape with six sides, resulting in the familiar hexagonal shape of ice cubes.

3. Why do ice cubes sometimes have rounded edges?

Ice cubes can have rounded edges due to the pressure of the freezing process. As the water molecules freeze, they expand and push against the walls of the ice cube tray, causing the edges to round out. This is also why ice cubes can sometimes stick together, as the rounded edges can create a bond between cubes.

4. Can ice cubes be made into perfect cubes?

Technically, it is possible to make ice cubes into perfect cubes by controlling the freezing process and ensuring that the water molecules are arranged in a perfect lattice structure. However, this is not practical for everyday use and would require specialized equipment.

5. Why are ice cubes sometimes cloudy instead of clear?

Cloudy ice cubes are caused by impurities in the water, such as minerals and gases, that get trapped in the freezing process. These impurities can affect the crystal lattice structure of the ice, resulting in a cloudy appearance. Using filtered or distilled water can help create clearer ice cubes.

Back