Why body A has greater acceleration?

Iamconfused123
Homework Statement
question is which body A has greater acceleration?
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Apparently body A has greater acceleration and I don't get why. Can someone please explain.

It's stated to take g=10/s^2.
Both bodies have same mass.
Nothing about rope elasticity is added, and nothing about the pulley. So I assumed they are both massless, and no friction between them.
Also, the table surface is frictionless.
Thank you
pf.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The pulley and string may be massless, but the 1 kg mass is definitely not massless!

Likes Iamconfused123
yeah but, 1kg×10m/s^2=10N so both forces are the same, masses the same, thus accelerations are the same

Iamconfused123 said:
yeah but, 1kg×10m/s^2=10N so both forces are the same, masses the same, thus accelerations are the same
No, they are not. If the tension in the string were 10 N then the net force on the 1 kg mass would be zero and it would not accelerate.

Likes Iamconfused123
Iamconfused123 said:
Yeah but, the 1 kg mass is not massless.

Likes Iamconfused123
Orodruin said:
No, they are not. If the tension in the string were 10 N then the net force on the 1 kg mass would be zero and it would not accelerate.
But the bodies(A and B) are not connected, if that is what you are saying.

Iamconfused123 said:
But the bodies(A and B) are not connected, if that is what you are saying.
The 1kg mass is connected to B.

Likes Iamconfused123
PeroK said:
The 1kg mass is connected to B.
Okay, but why does that matter? 1kg is falling with 10N pulling B with 10 N, same force as the hand is pulling A

Iamconfused123 said:
Okay, but why does that matter?
It;s fundamental.
Iamconfused123 said:
1kg is falling with 10N
What does that mean?
Iamconfused123 said:
pulling B with 10 N, same force as the hand is pulling A
Is it? What about Newton's third law? If the 1 kg mass pulls B with a force of 10N, then B pulls the 1kg mass with an opposite force of 10N, and the 1kg won't move, as it has a zero net force acting on it.

Likes Iamconfused123
May I suggest drawing free body diagrams of each mass ( A,B, and 1kg) for us to examine together?

Likes Iamconfused123
ohh. I figured. How stupid am I :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Thanks everyone. :bow:

Likes PeroK
erobz said:
May I suggest drawing free body diagrams of each mass ( A,B, and 1kg) for us to examine together?
Like, I never draw those. And the best thing is that I have solved whole bunch of problems with like these, but they were like, calculate acceleration. I did take a brake from physics for 2 weeks or so, but still, like I knew how to do these problems. Is it normal for people to forget that fast?

Iamconfused123 said:
ohh. I figured. How stupid am I :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
It's not that big a deal. It's tricky like that on purpose. Thats why its important to draw a FBD, because it becomes apparent when to "see" the forces.

Likes Iamconfused123

Related to Why body A has greater acceleration?

Why does body A have greater acceleration if the same force is applied to both bodies A and B?

Body A has greater acceleration because it has a smaller mass compared to body B. According to Newton's second law of motion (F = ma), the same force will produce a greater acceleration in a body with a smaller mass.

How does the mass of body A affect its acceleration?

The mass of body A inversely affects its acceleration. A smaller mass results in a greater acceleration when the same force is applied, as acceleration is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to mass (a = F/m).

What role does friction play in the acceleration of body A?

Friction opposes the motion of body A, reducing its acceleration. If body A experiences less friction compared to body B, it will have a greater net force acting on it, resulting in a higher acceleration.

Can the material composition of body A affect its acceleration?

Yes, the material composition can affect the mass and surface characteristics of body A, which in turn can influence its acceleration. A material with lower density will result in a lower mass, and smoother surfaces can reduce friction, both contributing to greater acceleration.

How does the surface on which body A moves impact its acceleration?

The surface can impact the amount of friction body A encounters. A smoother or lubricated surface will reduce friction, allowing body A to accelerate more easily compared to a rougher surface.