Why Did I Get a Different Average Velocity Calculation for the Particle?

In summary, Halc used the equation ##v_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\Delta t - 6## to solve for the average velocity. However, he got -4 ft/s.
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1682484540942.png

The solution to (a)(i) is 0 ft/s. However I got -4 ft/s.

The formula I used was,
##v_{avg} = \frac{s_f - s_i}{t_f - t_i}##
##v_{avg} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}t^2_f - 6t_f + 23 - \frac{1}{2}t^2_i - 6t_i + 23}{t_f - t_i}##
##v_{avg} = \frac{ \frac{1}{2}(t^2_f - t^2_i) - 6(t_f - t_i)}{t_f - t_i}##

If someone could please point out what I did wrong, that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just plug in the times in question to get the two positions in question? All the algebra seems unnecessary.

That aside, I don't see where the -4 comes from. Your bottom line seems correct.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker, member 731016 and malawi_glenn
Halc said:
Can't you just plug in the times in question to get the two positions in question? All the algebra seems unnecessary.

That aside, I don't see where the -4 comes from. Your bottom line seems correct.
Thank you for your reply @Halc!

Sorry, my mistake. The formula that I forgot to write above was ## v_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\Delta t - 6## because I mistakenly cancelled some of the change in times.

Many thanks!

1) You should include some parenthesis in your second line where you have substituted for ##s_i##.
ChiralSuperfields said:
The formula that I forgot to write above was ## v_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\Delta t - 6##
2) This looks wrong to me. I think it should be ##v_{avg} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}(t_f+t_i)(t_f-t_i) - 6(t_f-t_i)}{(t_f-t_i)}= \frac{1}{2}(t_f+t_i) - 6##.
3) You could always follow the advice @Halc gave in post #2 of just calculating the initial and final positions. At least use that to check your algebra.

Last edited:
Likes member 731016
ChiralSuperfields said:
##v_{avg} = \frac{ \frac{1}{2}(t^2_f - t^2_i) - 6(t_f - t_i)}{t_f - t_i}##

If someone could please point out what I did wrong, that would be much appreciated.
Formula seems correct. Did you simply forget the ##1\over 2## ?

[edit] never mind :smile:

Likes member 731016
ChiralSuperfields said:
##v_{avg} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}t^2_f - 6t_f + 23 - \frac{1}{2}t^2_i - 6t_i + 23}{t_f - t_i}##
Typo: Missing parentheses around the ##t_i## terms, leading to wrong signs.
ChiralSuperfields said:
The formula that I forgot to write above was ## v_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\Delta t - 6##
What is ##\frac{x^2-y^2}{x-y}##?

Likes member 731016, FactChecker and jbriggs444
FactChecker said:
1) You should include some parenthesis in your second line where you have substituted for ##s_i##.

2) This looks wrong to me. I think it should be ##v_{avg} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}(t_f+t_i)(t_f-t_i) - 6(t_f-t_i)}{(t_f-t_i)}= \frac{1}{2}(t_f+t_i) - 6##.
3) You could always follow the advice @Halc gave in post #2 of just calculating the initial and final positions. At least use that to check your algebra.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker ! I agree.

BvU said:
Formula seems correct. Did you simply forget the ##1\over 2## ?

[edit] never mind :smile:
haruspex said:
Typo: Missing parentheses around the ##t_i## terms, leading to wrong signs.

What is ##\frac{x^2-y^2}{x-y}##?
Thank you for your replies @BvU and @haruspex!

Yes, sorry I forgot the parentheses. ##\frac{(x + y)(x - y)}{x - y} = x + y##

Many thanks!

Related to Why Did I Get a Different Average Velocity Calculation for the Particle?

What is the definition of average velocity?

Average velocity is defined as the total displacement of a particle divided by the total time taken for that displacement. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity considers the direction of motion and is calculated using displacement, while average speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the total distance traveled, regardless of direction.

What is the formula for calculating average velocity?

The formula for average velocity (v_avg) is given by v_avg = (total displacement) / (total time), or mathematically, v_avg = Δx / Δt, where Δx is the displacement and Δt is the time interval.

Can average velocity be zero? If so, under what conditions?

Yes, average velocity can be zero if the total displacement of the particle is zero. This occurs when a particle returns to its starting point after a certain period, resulting in no net change in position.

How can average velocity be determined from a velocity-time graph?

Average velocity can be determined from a velocity-time graph by calculating the area under the curve (which represents displacement) and then dividing it by the total time interval. Alternatively, if the graph is a straight line, the slope of the line can be used to find the average velocity.