Why Did You Choose Your Avatar for Wikipedia?

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: So it's nice to see something that reminds them of the good times.In summary, DaveARF chose this conversation because he likes bicycles, Da Vinci's Leda and Mandelbrot fractals. He thinks his avatar represents what he tries to do on this website, which is to help people.
jtbell said:
I like trains, especially electric ones. This is a closeup of part of the logo on the side of this car (not from this picture, though):

4css21877.jpg

What about electric trains makes you like them more than other types?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is my beloved soccer team's logo. Monterrey F.C.

Cruz Martinez said:
What about electric trains makes you like them more than other types?

Train buffs develop preferences for different kinds of trains in various ways, like people develop preferences for different kinds of music. I probably got hooked on electric trains because when I was a kid, my parents and I often visited Cleveland, Ohio, where we parked our car in a suburb and rode the "Rapid" into town:

streetcar-4706-30.jpg

Cleveland also had these, which I rode a few times:

jt350.jpg

The routes still exist, but the trains use newer cars now.

Quantum Defect said:
This is the cover of a book my parents gave me when I was about six. There was a whole series: dinosaurs, prehistoric mammals, moths and butterflies, and this one on "Beginning Science."

As a grownup person, I really like the picture on the front--showing boys and girls having fun with science. I do volunteer work with fifth graders in the US, and the kids I work with still think science is a fun thing to do. Sometime after this, they have a rotten experience with the subject and are taught to dislike it!
May parents also bought me How and Why Wonderbooks, starting about when I was 6 or 7. I got the books on dinosaurs, prehistoric mammals, stars, planets and interplanetary travel, airplanes, flight, weather, our earth, . . . . I was destined for science and engineering.

How and Why Wonderbooks

My avatar is me.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Coffee makes me happy.

Likes DennisN
Blackberg said:
Coffee makes me happy.

I'll drink (you know what) to that! In fact, I'm doing it right now...

Well mine is Einstein stucking out his tounge.I like it how Einstein gave this pose.

I'm a little slow sometimes, so my fiancée drew this turtle for me to use as my avatar on PF. My previous avatar was also a turtle drawn by fiancée. I'm a little undecided about which one to use. I like the current one because it has the atom symbol in it. But I like the previous one because it seems more aesthetically pleasing. Which one do you like best?

turtle2_zpschbdj1jm.gif

The one you have now. The other one bears a somewhat striking resemblance to a surprised lizard baked into a white chocolate chip cookie.
Not that it's a bad thing or anything. :wink:

Likes BillTre
Bandersnatch said:
The one you have now. The other one bears a somewhat striking resemblance to a surprised lizard baked into a white chocolate chip cookie.
Not that it's a bad thing or anything. :wink:
lol, I see the resemblance. One vote for current avatar.

TurtleMeister said:
Yeah, current avatar is a winner, although I do love the old one. Kudos to your fiancee

My avatar is a forest nymph. I grew up in a small town in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and I spent many hours in the woods. As an adult I love hiking and backpacking. I love being in the woods!

Likes Psinter, Silicon Waffle and Borg
lisab said:
My avatar is a forest nymph. I grew up in a small town in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and I spent many hours in the woods. As an adult I love hiking and backpacking. I love being in the woods!
Lisab, you know you're so cool. : ))

Mine was a happy day in the power plant, figuring out how to test a piece of equipment that does not readily submit itself to testing.
We built our own testing machine and learned how to use it.

It takes so little to make a nerd happy !

Likes cnh1995
It's a vesicle and I like biophysics. :smile: Also it's not ugly.

TurtleMeister said:

Dissenting view here. I like the overhead one as the head is proportionate and it's more symbolic of 'turtle' to me.

I believe in balance and standing for what is right...

thats not as funny as the others on this thread.

Mahmoud.

jim hardy said:
Mine was a happy day in the power plant, figuring out how to test a piece of equipment that does not readily submit itself to testing.
We built our own testing machine and learned how to use it.

It takes so little to make a nerd happy !

Along the same line, mine is me, sitting in a creek, farting.

Hippies are also easily amused. :smile:

Likes jim hardy
OmCheeto said:
Along the same line, mine is me, sitting in a creek, farting.
Huh. I always thought you were a bunch of water lilies. But now, what I've seen cannot be unseen.

It's a realisation not entirely unlike walking up to a girl you've found attractive only to find out up close it's your toothless, balding, bearded Medusa of an ex-wife you've been hiding from the past few years. :eek:

Likes OmCheeto
Bandersnatch said:
Huh. I always thought you were a bunch of water lilies. But now, what I've seen cannot be unseen.

It's a realisation not entirely unlike walking up to a girl you've found attractive only to find out up close it's your toothless, balding, bearded Medusa of an ex-wife you've been hiding from the past few years. :eek:

It's fun getting an explanation once in awhile. I think I've seen these "avatar" posts before.

I always thought phinds was an overly happy harp seal pup
310841.jpg
happy.harp.seal.jpeg

until I heard the "ARF"

and Ryan_m_b was just a fan, as I am, of Jeff Lynne
310350.jpg
Jeff.Lynne.jpg

curly hair, dark glasses, Britannia

Another fun thread, for us old timers, might be to see if people can remember what avatars they've used since arriving at PF.
I seem to recall that I had no knowledge of how to upload an image, and chose some random "anime" character face, with his tongue sticking out.
I also seem to recall, that people got very confused when I figured out how to upload my first(?) image.
It was of David Suzuki, in a very "Atlasesque" world on his shoulders image.

David-suzuki3.jpg

Ah ha!

lisab said:
Nov 20, 2009
I think it's your new avatar that's throwing us all off...:smile:...
That's just David Suzuki. Why would he throw anyone off?

It was time for a new avatar.
I was tired of old fish lips...
:smile:

Attachments

• AtlaSuzuki.jpeg
    AtlaSuzuki.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 536
:oldsmile:

My daughter.

?temp_hash=c78f0d4bf3dba31adf8a19016cd8e3a0.jpg

Attachments

• First-Kick (29.8k).jpg
    First-Kick (29.8k).jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 681
Likes collinsmark and DrClaude
I do not have one because there is no good explanation for me. Ask my wife...

Likes CalcNerd and OmCheeto
A Strange Representative from a mysterious dimension, exterminated long ago.

Just a nice photo I took while in Paris. Maybe some mentors can explain their new avatars to us? :wink:

Maylis said:
Just a nice photo I took while in Paris. Maybe some mentors can explain their new avatars to us? :wink:

A cruel trick by a unceasingly cruel and careless god...

Agreed.

I wouldn't call myself an anime/manga crazed fan, but I definitely like a few ones, like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Beelzebub, Detective Conan and Death Note (but that's it - I have very specific tastes, and a lot of stuff doesn't interest me). When I joined PF, I thought about setting my avatar as a screenshot of me reaching round 39 in Black Ops 2 Zombies or the one where I nuked ******** as Russia in Civilization 5 (yeah, you must've guessed I'd be all about secrets if I choose Russia) for bragging rights, but then I finally decided to settle for a picture of Naruto and Sasuke after reading the last chapter of Naruto. (*sobs mathematically*)

Mine is an extreme close-up of my Pocket Pickett N600-T.

(Slide rule buffs will notice that I'm calculating the quotient of the cube root of 76.8 divided by the sine of 32.5 degrees for no reason other than it made a nice picture.)

Likes dlgoff
Greatest guitarist of all time.

Likes KSG4592
lisab said:
I did not know what was a "nymph" so I googled "forest nymph" and was not disappointed. How come I did not know about those things? They sound awesome :oldlove:. I also love the forests!
Although alone in the forest is better (IMO). Other people hinder your speed and I like to cross those marvelous lands at high speed. You feel alive running thorugh the uneven land and nothing to stop you! Feeling the humidity of the plants razing your body while you run, and your feet getting wet too. An awesome feeling. (Rain forests are the only ones I've visited. Never been in other kind of forests. I just love them.)

Mine is a battery and light bulb apparatus radiating energy [mostly] isotropically.

image173.gif

I originally used it to demonstrate a thought experiment (borrowed from another person) which shows that as an object radiates energy it loses a corresponding amount of mass -- even an apparatus as simple as this one.

-------------------

I had once considered a different avatar of a sacrificial Van de Graaff Generator Monkey.

Slide1.PNG

[Figure 1: Sacrificial Van de Graaff Generator Monkey]

The idea is that if there was a velociraptor attack it could be used to trigger an alarm system thus giving me approximately 0.7 seconds of more life, before being devoured by the velociraptor.

It operates by me first carrying around the Van de Graaff Generator Monkey day and night (even on the bus), keeping it powered on and activated all the time. Even to bed. You can never be too prepared. I got used to the constant noise and electrical shocks after awhile. I even sing a little ditty along with the rhythmic clanging sounds. It's sometimes popular on the bus.

Once a velociraptor breach is detected, I'll toss the Van de Graaff Generator Monkey at the velociraptor where it will be gobbled up immediately, giving the velociraptor a net electrical charge.
Slide2.PNG

[Figure 2: Security breach]

Once the velociraptor has a net electric charge, it will create a magnetic field as it moves toward me at 20 m/s (max). This magnetic field is used to trigger alarms inside and outside of my house to warn my neighbors within a 0.9 mile radius, before I get gobbled up by the velociraptor.
Slide3.PNG

[Figure 3: Alarm system]

In the end though, I just went with the light bulb out of laziness.

Last edited:
Likes Carrock, diogenesNY, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Oh, no. I think I see a velociraptor outside in the garden! :eek::nb) [I don't know what one looks like for sure, but my landlord, after learning of my fears, showed me a picture of one that I used for Figure 3. How thoughful of him! (He also cautioned me that there might be velociraptors that hang out in the back garden and he would understand if I chose to consider moving, just to be on the safe side.)]
Btw, yes I'm kidding.

Last edited:
Hey! That's a bunny. :frown: :oldlove:

Business idea based on collinsmark's post: velociraptor petting zoo