Why do rockets turn horizontally so soon after launch?

In summary, rockets turn close to horizontal almost immediately after liftoff to minimize air resistance and wasted energy. This allows them to achieve horizontal speed quickly while also gaining altitude. A slower ascent with a gradual turn would result in more energy being wasted in fighting against gravity. Additionally, pitching over sooner allows the rocket to reach maximum aerodynamic pressure in a shorter amount of time, reducing the effects of atmospheric drag. Overall, this trajectory is more efficient in achieving orbital velocity and altitude.
sophiecentaur said:
Revisiting that earlier post, it makes me wonder why they don't use wings to aid takeoff. Up as far as several tens of km, a wing would provide some lift. More efficient than a rocket at low speeds. All the combinations must have been tried over the years - as has aircraft-assisted takeoff.
They don't fly at low speed for long, and that's a lot of added aerodynamic stress to design for. The takeoff weight is about 20x the landing weight!

Likes sophiecentaur
Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
They don't fly at low speed for long,
Why not a high speed wing design then? Not much use at low altitude but a comparatively long time at supersonic speeds? I'm not arguing - just after a fuller picture.

sophiecentaur said:
Why not a high speed wing design then? Not much use at low altitude but a comparatively long time at supersonic speeds? I'm not arguing - just after a fuller picture.
I don't see how this changes the answer: massive aerodynamic stresses for little* benefit, for a short time. Except perhaps to say that in addition to going fast, the atmosphere gets thin fast too.

[edit]
*Given that it isn't done at all, it is probably better to say no net benefit. Any lift you add increases drag too, and that's a net harm, not benefit, to what you are trying to achieve.

russ_watters said:
Except perhaps to say that in addition to going fast, the atmosphere gets thin fast too.
I guess that is the answer I was after - plus the fact that they don't tend to do it (except in experimental systems (X15 etc)
The principle is obviously not favoured for good reason.

DaveC426913 said:
Maybe a primitive comparison to a mundane scenario:

When you finish fixing a flat on the loose gravel shoulder of a highway (let's assume it's empty), do you:
- pull straight out onto the road then make a right turn and begin accelerating? Or do you
- pull out at an angle so that an ever-increasing component of your movement is in the direction you ultimately want to go?

(Oh, and the road is tilted, so that you have to steer to the left, just to keep from sliding back into the gravel shoulder.)

View attachment 224211
Very good analogy. Thanks DaveC.

DTM said:
My son also noted that when Max Q is announced, the shuttle is way beyond 45 degrees (closer to horizontal then vertical). So the observation that the shuttle is going "partially sideways" way before it's out of the relevant atmosphere is confirmed by that.

It's worth noting that this is incorrect. At max q, it's flying at a flight path angle a bit less than 45 degrees off vertical (though it's pretty close to 45 at that point), as can be seen in the STS-116 ascent data here: https://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts116/fdf/116ascentdata.html

As for why this is done? Rockets weigh a lot and have a lot of thrust. Thus, aerodynamic losses are actually fairly small. On the other hand, gravity losses (which occur due to the thrust fighting gravity while flying vertically) are much more significant. As you pitch away from the vertical, gravity losses shrink, since more of the thrust is accelerating the rocket and less is being wasted just holding it up. From what I can find, out of a total ΔV budget of a bit over 9km/s, the space shuttle lost about 107 m/s to drag loss, and about 1222 m/s to gravity losses, so this gives a good idea why you would want to start accelerating away from vertical quickly, in order to reduce the gravity loss even at the cost of some drag, since gravity loss is 10x more significant anyways.

Likes russ_watters
cjl said:
As you pitch away from the vertical, gravity losses shrink, since more of the thrust is accelerating the rocket and less is being wasted just holding it up.
I don't doubt you, I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around this.
Why would gravity losses shrink? I mean, doesn't it take just as much fuel to hold up against gravity regardless of the angle?
Taking that logic to the limit, wouldn't that mean loss due to gravity would approach zero as you approach horizontal?

It's basically just a function of trigonometry. If your rocket is thrusting with 1.4 times the force of the rocket's weight (pretty standard right after liftoff), and you're aimed straight up, your net acceleration is 0.4G, with 1G loss (most of the thrust is wasted just holding the rocket up). If you've got the same scenario but you're pitched over to 45 degrees, the vertical component of the thrust is equal to the rocket's weight, so you have zero vertical acceleration, and the horizontal component is 1G (each is equal to 1.4/sqrt(2)). Even though the vertical component still loses 1G, the rocket is only accelerating at a rate 0.4G less than what would occur in a zero-gravity environment, so it is gaining velocity more efficiently.

Also, it's true that gravity loss goes to zero as you approach horizontal, but your ability to do that is constrained by the requirement that the rocket gain altitude and not crash during the ascent.

cjl said:
From what I can find, out of a total ΔV budget of a bit over 9km/s, the space shuttle lost about 107 m/s to drag loss, and about 1222 m/s to gravity losses, so this gives a good idea why you would want to start accelerating away from vertical quickly, in order to reduce the gravity loss even at the cost of some drag, since gravity loss is 10x more significant anyways.
That's a great factoid, largely answering the 3rd part of the OP's energy budget question.

cjl said:
It's basically just a function of trigonometry. If your rocket is thrusting with 1.4 times the force of the rocket's weight (pretty standard right after liftoff), and you're aimed straight up, your net acceleration is 0.4G, with 1G loss (most of the thrust is wasted just holding the rocket up). If you've got the same scenario but you're pitched over to 45 degrees, the vertical component of the thrust is equal to the rocket's weight, so you have zero vertical acceleration, and the horizontal component is 1G (each is equal to 1.4/sqrt(2)). Even though the vertical component still loses 1G, the rocket is only accelerating at a rate 0.4G less than what would occur in a zero-gravity environment, so it is gaining velocity more efficiently.

Also, it's true that gravity loss goes to zero as you approach horizontal, but your ability to do that is constrained by the requirement that the rocket gain altitude and not crash during the ascent.
Well; note it also drops to zero as your speed rises to orbital speed. That's the whole reason you are gaining the speed!

The equation for centripetal acceleration is a square function of velocity, so for your 1.4g engine output example, at half orbital speed the angle for zero vertical acceleration is 32 degrees instead of 45.

This is part of the reason why the total gravity drag is so small (about 15% of final speed) despite starting so large (about 67%* of takeoff acceleration).

*Note: I'm uncertain of that number. The profile I posted lists 1.5g, which I initially assumed was speed change, but looking at the speed numbers it appears to be total (0.5g of speed change). That's lower than I thought and also doesn't make sense as they also say acceleration start at 0, instead of 1. But I think I need to trust the speed numbers.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Well; note it also drops to zero as your speed rises to orbital speed. That's the whole reason you are gaining the speed!

The equation for centripetal acceleration is a square function of velocity, so for your 1.4g engine output example, at half orbital speed the angle for zero vertical acceleration is 32 degrees instead of 45.

This is part of the reason why the total gravity drag is so small (about 15% of final speed) despite starting so large (about 67%* of takeoff acceleration).

*Note: I'm uncertain of that number. The profile I posted lists 1.5g, which I initially assumed was speed change, but looking at the speed numbers it appears to be total (0.5g of speed change). That's lower than I thought and also doesn't make sense as they also say acceleration start at 0, instead of 1. But I think I need to trust the speed numbers.

That's about right - most rockets lift off with a thrust to weight ratio of between 1.2 and 1.6 to 1, so they waste most of the thrust just fighting gravity. However, note that the vast majority of the rocket's weight is fuel, so the thrust to weight ratio improves dramatically as the fuel burns away. As a result, most rockets finish their burns at 4-6G of acceleration, in some cases even throttling down to reduce structural loading as the acceleration climbs. This also helps minimize gravity drag later in the burn, since 5G at a nearly horizontal flight path angle really has next to no gravity loss.

Likes russ_watters
So that the SRB's can splash down and not fall directly on the space center they just took off from 50km ago :D It's not a very elegant answer mathematically but it does account for why they would need to move horizontally so quickly.

Curiose said:
So that the SRB's can splash down and not fall directly on the space center they just took off from 50km ago :D It's not a very elegant answer mathematically but it does account for why they would need to move horizontally so quickly.
Funny, I was just reading about that while looking for something called "speed bonus".

Finally, it should be noted that there are additional reasons for launching the Shuttle to the east in addition to the speed bonus. The primary reason for launching to the east from Cape Canaveral is because of range safety constraints. A Shuttle will not launch due west from the Cape since it would be launching over populated land. The same rule applies for launches off the West coast. If it is necessary to launch a rocket to the west or into polar orbit, it must be done from the West coast, again because of range safety.
- answer by Joe Yoon, 16 March 2003
[ref: aerospaceweb.org ]

Now I know why they call it "Rocket Science".

Ehr... Mehr... Gerd...

ps. Can anyone tell me what "downrange" means in "Rocket Science"?

From the video:

10:29 video time audio; "30 seconds into the flight, Atlantis almost 2 miles in altitude, almost 6 miles downrange from the Kennedy Space Center already, traveling 500 mph."

and from the video snapshot:

tplus30seconds.png

the range was only 0.1 statute miles.

pps. As a reminder, I am not a rocket scientist.

Attachments

• tplus30seconds.png
    tplus30seconds.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 377
Simply means the amount of distance the rocket has traveled horizontally with regard to the Earths surface.
The distance between the place where it is now directly above the surface compared to the launch site.
I'm not sure why the audio mentions a different figure to what the data display is showing.
There is also a discrepancy with the velocity which has been achieved at this point.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
Don't worry; it's not brain surgery.

OmCheeto said:
Now I know why they call it "Rocket Science".

Ehr... Mehr... Gerd...

ps. Can anyone tell me what "downrange" means in "Rocket Science"?

From the video:

10:29 video time audio; "30 seconds into the flight, Atlantis almost 2 miles in altitude, almost 6 miles downrange from the Kennedy Space Center already, traveling 500 mph."

and from the video snapshot:​

the range was only 0.1 statute miles.

I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to tell that you can't get 6 miles in any direction by accelerating from zero to 500mph in 30 sec...

Likes jbriggs444
russ_watters said:
I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to tell that you can't get 6 miles in any direction by accelerating from zero to 500mph in 30 sec...

That's what I thought, until I watched another shuttle launch.
I assumed that the person in the first video(STS-129) didn't see a decimal point or something.
But then...

STS-127

video time: 1:03
liftoff​
video time: 1:33
t+ 30 seconds
"400 mph
1 mile in altitude and
7 miles downrange"
video time: 2:13
t+ 70 seconds
"1100 mph
10 miles in altitude and
10 miles downrange"

So it went sideways really fast, and then it went upways really fast?
??

Do they add in the 915 mph the moment spacecraft leave the ground?
I'm grasping for rocket science straws here.

OmCheeto said:
video time: 1:33
t+ 30 seconds
"400 mph
1 mile in altitude and
7 miles downrange"
video time: 2:13
t+ 70 seconds
"1100 mph
10 miles in altitude and
10 miles downrange"
Sounds like non-zero starting offset from the tracking station.

jbriggs444 said:
Sounds like non-zero starting offset from the tracking station.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. @OmCheeto , coming from multiple sources it probably is on purpose. My guess is they are using a non-rotating reference frame since ultimately that's what your orbital speed is calculated with respect to. The numbers seem to work; it's 840 mph, which sounds about right (dont feel like trying to calculate what it should be).

jbriggs444 said:
I found some data that looks reliable. It is, at least, detailed.

https://spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts124/fdf/124ascentdata.html
Did you find it on page 1 of the thread? :wink:

That data is nice because it includes the speed with respect to a stationary Earth in a separate column from rocket velocity. And it doesn't include that speed in its range calculation, which makes better sense to me. Since I hadn't looked at that column, I didn't note the speed: 914mph. That's 7.6 miles in 30 seconds; in the same ballpark as @OmCheeto 's numbers.

russ_watters said:
Did you find it on page 1 of the thread? :wink:

That data is nice because it includes the speed with respect to a stationary Earth in a separate column from rocket velocity. And it doesn't include that speed in its range calculation, which makes better sense to me. Since I hadn't looked at that column, I didn't note the speed: 914mph. That's 7.6 miles in 30 seconds; in the same ballpark as @OmCheeto 's numbers.
The problem with that theory is the video's claim of 10 miles at T+70. That's another 3 miles in 40 seconds. The speed is decreasing?!

But yes, the posted speed numbers in the table seem to be based on an Earth-centered inertial frame.

jbriggs444 said:
The problem with that theory is the video's claim of 10 miles at T+70. That's another 3 miles in 40 seconds. The speed is decreasing?!
Well, I had a thought about how the orbit's inclination angle affects how the the downrange speed and distance change (the Earth isn't quite spinning in the right direction for that 914mph to be completely helpful. I haven't tried to put any effort into developing that thought...

Possibly, the fact that the Earth is rotating away from the rocket's launch point makes it seem to turn to the horizontal, when it's actually moving in a straight line.

poor mystic said:
Possibly, the fact that the Earth is rotating away from the rocket's launch point makes it seem to turn to the horizontal, when it's actually moving in a straight line.
Except for the fact that this effect makes it tip upward relative to the local surface, not downward. That would be at a rate of only one rotation per approximately 90 minutes. Less until orbital velocity is achieved.

poor mystic said:
The Earth is rotating west to east; in the direction of flight, not away from it.

Rockets tip shortly after launch so as to gain the benefit of Earth's rotation added to final orbital speed., so they are accelerating horizontally, with the Earth's spin, as they climb, an eventual 'permanent' horizontal flight is what is the desired end (orbit).

I did have another thought: Military missiles, typically cruise missiles, launch vertically for a short distance and then attitude jets rapidly kick it horizontal, or close to it. Those critters also tend to have wings which deploy, so they are, in effect, launching a jet airplane vertical, tipping it over after launch and deploying wings for long flight. If THIS kind of rocket is what the kid asked about, then it is a whole different critter than orbital mechanics of launch as it is an 'in atmosphere' weapons launch instead.

Steelwolf said:
Rockets tip shortly after launch so as to gain the benefit of Earth's rotation added to final orbital speed.
They have that benefit already on the platform.

Likes russ_watters
A.T. said:
They have that benefit already on the platform.
True, though in order to fully utilize the pre-existing velocity, one needs to thrust parallel to it rather than perpendicular.

Likes Steelwolf
There's a game you can get on smart phones called SimpleRockets. It's a simplified clone of Kerbal Space Program. I don't know enough rocket science to attest to the accuracy but you can learn some things playing it. You do launch vertical and start turning to the side once you pass much of the thicker atmosphere.

Steelwolf said:
Rockets tip shortly after launch so as to gain the benefit of Earth's rotation added to final orbital speed.

Perhaps I missunderstand your answer but rockets get that benefit just standing on the pad. It's and advantage of launching nearer the equator than the poles.

I don't see how turning horizontally increases that.

CWatters said:
Perhaps I missunderstand your answer but rockets get that benefit just standing on the pad. It's and advantage of launching nearer the equator than the poles.

I don't see how turning horizontally increases that.
Vector addition of velocities. You get the biggest increase if the added delta v is parallel to the existing v.

Likes Steelwolf
jbriggs444 said:
Vector addition of velocities. You get the biggest increase if the added delta v is parallel to the existing v.
Why does the order of applying velocities affect the final velocity? Is this a rocket / reaction engine thing to do with efficiency?