Why Does a Simple Pendulum Have a Constant ω If Its Velocity Changes?

In summary, a simple pendulum's velocity changes with time, but it changes periodically with the angular frequency ω. The acceleration and position also change periodically with the same ω, and this is reflected in the solutions to the simple harmonic oscillator equation. While ω represents different things in different equations, in the equation ω= √(g/l), it remains constant and represents the frequency at which the instantaneous angular velocity oscillates with time. This can also be shown through the time averages of x(t)^2 and v(t)^2.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

How does a simple pendulum have a constant ω if it's velocity changes?

Homework Equations

(1) v=ωR
(2) [itex]\omega=\stackrel{\sqrt{l}}{\sqrt{g}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Very confused about this. The pendulum bob is at a fixed distance from where it's attached (i.e R is constant). It seems to me that if the velocity changes, from the equations above, the angular frequency has also got to change. I thought perhaps that the angular frequency derived from SHM was perhaps an average and not instantaneous? But I'm not so sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
A simple pendulum's velocity does change with time, but it changes periodically with the angular frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]. The acceleration of the pendulum as well as the posiiton of the pendulum also change with time, but periodically with angular frequency [itex]\omega[/itex].

If you think of the position function with time as being a sine wave

[itex]x(t) = X_{0}Sin[\omega t + \phi][/itex]

the time derivative of this (i.e. the velocity) will also be a sine wave (a cosine wave has the same shape and behavior in any case)

[itex]v(t)= \dot{x}(t) = \omega X_{0}Cos[\omega t + \phi][/itex]

Similarly, differentiating again gives us the acceleration which also varies sinusoidally with the same frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]

[itex]a(t) \ddot{x}(t) = -\omega^{2}X_{0}Sin[\omega t + \phi][/itex]
Note that here we can write the acceleration in terms of the position, and see that sine waves are solutions to the simple harmonic oscillator equation

[itex]\ddot{x}(t) = -\omega^{2}x(t)[/itex]

So in short, the constant [itex]\omega[/itex] does not refer to the instantaneous angular velocity, but it gives how rapidly the instantaneous angular velocity oscillates with time.

In particular, if you look at the time averages of [itex]x(t)^{2}[/itex] and [itex]v(t)^{2}[/itex], you can show that

[itex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{<v^{2}>}{<x^{2}>}}[/itex]

bananabandana said:
Very confused about this. The pendulum bob is at a fixed distance from where it's attached (i.e R is constant). It seems to me that if the velocity changes, from the equations above, the angular frequency has also got to change. I thought perhaps that the angular frequency derived from SHM was perhaps an average and not instantaneous? But I'm not so sure.

I know what you mean. Its natural to get confused, but ω represents different things in both equations.

In ##v=ωr##, ω isn't constant because gravity applies torque. : here ω means angular velocity

in ## ω= \sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}##, ω is constant- its a value associated with Simple harmonic motion, which jfizzix has explained above. : here ω means angular frequency

Related to Why Does a Simple Pendulum Have a Constant ω If Its Velocity Changes?

1. What is the definition of Angular Frequency of Pendulum?

The Angular Frequency of Pendulum refers to the number of complete oscillations or cycles that a pendulum makes per unit time. It is represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is Angular Frequency of Pendulum related to Period?

The Angular Frequency of Pendulum is inversely proportional to the Period of the pendulum. This means that as the angular frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa. The relationship between the two can be represented by the equation ω = 2π/T, where T is the period in seconds.

3. What factors affect the Angular Frequency of Pendulum?

The Angular Frequency of Pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and the initial displacement of the pendulum from its equilibrium position. It is also affected by the presence of external forces such as air resistance or friction.

4. How does the Angular Frequency of Pendulum affect its motion?

The Angular Frequency of Pendulum determines the speed at which the pendulum oscillates back and forth. A higher angular frequency means a faster motion, while a lower angular frequency means a slower motion. The angular frequency also affects the amplitude of the pendulum's oscillations, with a higher frequency resulting in smaller amplitudes.

5. What is the formula for calculating the Angular Frequency of Pendulum?

The formula for calculating the Angular Frequency of Pendulum is ω = √(g/L), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and L is the length of the pendulum. This formula assumes that there is no external force acting on the pendulum and that the initial displacement is small.