Why Does a Spring Return to Its Original Position After Being Stretched?

• B
  • Thread starter tellmesomething
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Applied force
tellmesomething
Consider a spring in its natural length. I start pulling the string and the force i apply increase from 0 to 5, while this happens theres a restoring force wanting to be back in its original position(intermolecular force) and i am able to stretch the string until this spring force or restoring force equals to my applied force. Now when i remove my hand why does it go back to its original position, i understand the reaction force is opposite in direction to my applied force and at the point where the extension stops the net force on the string is 0. But when i remove my hand does the external force vanish? Its still there right shouldnt the spring still be in equilibrium?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your hand is the source of the applied force. Why would the applied force remain after its source leaves?

Dale said:
Your hand is the source of the applied force. Why would the applied force remain after its source leaves?
when i push an object on a frictionless surface i dont remain in contact i merely give it a push and it continues moving until hit by an obstacle. can it not be similar to this?

tellmesomething said:
when i push an object on a frictionless surface i dont remain in contact i merely give it a push and it continues moving
It doesn’t require a force to move in a straight line at a constant speed. That is Newton’s 1st law. When you stop pushing then the force stops in this case too.

Last edited:
tellmesomething said:
Consider a spring in its natural length. I start pulling the string and the force i apply increase from 0 to 5, while this happens theres a restoring force wanting to be back in its original position(intermolecular force) and i am able to stretch the string until this spring force or restoring force equals to my applied force.
The force that you apply deforms the crystals that form the metal.
The reactive force is directly proportional to that deformation, which is elastic (until certain point).
tellmesomething said:
Now when i remove my hand why does it go back to its original position, i understand the reaction force is opposite in direction to my applied force and at the point where the extension stops the net force on the string is 0.
When you remove your hand, the force that was deforming the metal disappears, and the crystals naturally go back to the original position.
tellmesomething said:
But when i remove my hand does the external force vanish? Its still there right shouldnt the spring still be in equilibrium?
Yes, the external force suddenly disappears, which breaks the previous equilibrium of hand-elastic forces.
The elastic force makes the spring return to its original length, while its magnitude goes from 5 to 0.

Related to Why Does a Spring Return to Its Original Position After Being Stretched?

Why does a spring return to its original position after being stretched?

A spring returns to its original position after being stretched due to the restoring force described by Hooke's Law. This law states that the force exerted by a spring is proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction. This restoring force pulls the spring back to its original length.

What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to a spring's behavior?

Hooke's Law is a principle of physics that states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. Mathematically, it is expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. This law explains why a spring returns to its original position after being stretched; the force exerted by the spring increases as it is stretched further, pulling it back to equilibrium.

What is the spring constant and how does it affect a spring's return to its original position?

The spring constant, denoted by k, is a measure of a spring's stiffness. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to be stretched or compressed. The spring constant directly affects the magnitude of the restoring force; a stiffer spring (with a higher k) will exert a stronger force to return to its original position compared to a less stiff spring.

Are there any limits to a spring's ability to return to its original position?

Yes, there are limits to a spring's ability to return to its original position. If a spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit, it can undergo plastic deformation and will not return to its original shape. This limit is known as the yield point. Beyond this point, the material of the spring is permanently deformed.

How do material properties of a spring influence its ability to return to its original position?

The material properties, such as the type of metal or alloy used, affect a spring's elasticity and its ability to return to its original position. Materials with high elastic limits and good fatigue resistance are better at returning to their original shape after being stretched or compressed. The choice of material determines the spring constant and the range within which the spring can operate elastically.