Why Does Connecting Multiple Ohmmeters Result in Cumulative Resistance?

• Thread starter XZ923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the speaker is working on a project involving a panel of ohmmeters to measure the resistance values of a 3-phase generator. They encountered an issue where connecting all three ohmmeters resulted in one reading a combination of the other two. After conducting a quick experiment, they discovered that when two ohmmeters with separate 9V power sources are connected to the same resistor simultaneously, they display cumulative resistance instead of the lowest possible resistance. The speaker is seeking an explanation from someone more familiar with test equipment.
XZ923
This might be a forehead-slap moment but I'll ask anyway...

I'm working on a project building a panel of ohmmeters that will simultaneously measure the line-to-line resistance values a 3-phase generator and was running into trouble connecting all three ohmmeters to the three-phase measurement point, where two would read accurately and the third always reads a combination of the other two. So I ran a quick experiment, taking two ohmmeters with separate 9V power sources. When each is connected individually to a 4.7 ohm resistor, they read 4.7 ohms. When you connect them both to the same resistor simultaneously they both read 9.4 ohms. I'm hoping someone more familiar than me with test equipment can tell me why they display cumulative resistance when both connected to the single resistor (I was under the impression an ohmmeter would always display the lowest possible resistance between the test leads).

Engineering news on Phys.org
To measure a resistance, some meters inject a current and read the resulting voltage...

(I was under the impression an ohmmeter would always display the lowest possible resistance between the test leads).
An ohmmeter means one (1) ohmmeter.

think about it, crudely as,
A nine volt nominal source across a 4.7 R -> current through the resistor is 2 A.
Now connect a second nine volt nominal supply -> each source sends 1 A through the resistor, for the resistor to have still the nominal 9 v across it.

The second time, the guts of this "ohmmeter" will interpret the lessor current as a higher resistance than before.

FAQ: Why Does Connecting Multiple Ohmmeters Result in Cumulative Resistance?

1. What is the purpose of connecting multiple ohmmeters?

The purpose of connecting multiple ohmmeters is to measure the resistance of different components in a circuit simultaneously. This allows for a more efficient and accurate measurement of the overall resistance of the circuit.

2. Can I connect multiple ohmmeters in parallel or series?

Yes, you can connect multiple ohmmeters in both parallel and series. In parallel, each ohmmeter measures the resistance of a different component in the circuit. In series, the ohmmeters are connected one after the other, with each one measuring the resistance of the entire circuit.

3. How do I ensure that the readings from the multiple ohmmeters are accurate?

To ensure accurate readings, it is important to use ohmmeters with the same range and accuracy, and to connect them to the circuit in the correct polarity. It is also important to make sure that the circuit is not powered on while taking the measurements.

4. Is there a limit to the number of ohmmeters that can be connected to a circuit?

The number of ohmmeters that can be connected to a circuit is limited by the amount of current that can flow through the circuit without damaging the components. It is recommended to consult the specifications of the circuit and the ohmmeters to determine the appropriate number to use.

5. Can I use different types of ohmmeters (analog or digital) when connecting multiple ohmmeters?

Yes, you can use different types of ohmmeters when connecting multiple ohmmeters. However, it is important to note that analog and digital ohmmeters may have different measurement ranges and accuracies, so it is best to use ohmmeters of the same type for more accurate readings.

Back