Why Does Current Remain Constant in Series Circuit?

• Thread starter Lim Y K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: However, if the voltage is increased, the current can stay the same. This is because the voltage is what pushes the charges through the circuit, and adding more resistors means there is more resistance to overcome. Therefore, a higher voltage is needed to maintain the same current throughout the circuit. In summary, the equation for current in series is I1=12=13 as the charges remain constant as it passes through the circuit regardless of the resistances of the resistors. The resistance in the resistors does not affect the speed of the charges, but rather requires a higher voltage to push them through. The current remains constant throughout the circuit because adding more resistors would create an imbalance of charges, resulting in overwhelming E fields and potentially damaging the
Lim Y K
The equation for current in series is I1=12=13 as the charges remain constant as it passes through the circuit regardless of the resistances of the resistors. i1 being the current before the resistor, i2 being the current after resistor 1 and i3 being the current after the last (2nd) resistor before going back to the battery. However, I=Q/T and since the resistors have resistance, the current will move slower through it. Wont this affect the current? why the current remains constant throughout the circuit (i1=i2=i3)?? can someone explain to me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Current is like a bicycle chain. The whole thing moves, and all at the same speed, or it doesn't move at all (if you have an open circuit or a broken chain). That probably doesn't answer you question at the level of fundamental physics, but it IS the way it works.

Lim Y K said:
since the resistors have resistance, the current will move slower through it.

The charges don't slow down. Instead the resistance means that we have to push the charges harder to keep them moving at the same speed; that push comes from the voltage, which is higher at one end of the resistor than the other.

could you draw a circuit diagram? I am not sure what you mean by "current before" a resistor and after a resistor.

Chandra Prayaga said:
could you draw a circuit diagram? I am not sure what you mean by "current before" a resistor and after a resistor.
Think of a resistor drawn horizontally with the current flowing left to right. The left side is "before" the resistor and the right side is "after" the resistor.

Lim Y K said:
why the current remains constant throughout the circuit (i1=i2=i3)??
Ask yourself, what would happen if ##I_1 > I_2##. Specifically, what would happen to the charge on the first resistor?

DaleSpam said:
Ask yourself, what would happen if ##I_1 > I_2##. Specifically, what would happen to the charge on the first resistor?

there will be more chrage flowing through resistor one?

More than that. There will be charge accumulating in resistor 1. It will gain more and more net charge the longer the imbalance between the currents persists.

How long do you think any power source can push against the enormous E field that would be created by such a net charge?

oh so the reason why there's no charge build-up at any components of circuit is because the current remains the same throughout?

Yes. If there were 1 A entering a resistor and 0.9 A leaving, then the resistor would be gaining 0.1 C every second. The E fields generated would quickly overwhelm any power source and crush any circuit material. The forces we are talking about are simply enormous.

if more resistors are added into a circuit, the current will decrease but it will remain the same throughtout the circuit? or will more voltage be required to keep the current at the same speed?

To your first question - Yes it will - if in series - Resistors only cause potential drop .

Current does not have speed . If you mean that you wish to keep the rate flow of charge constant
( current) , Yes you would have to increase the potential difference applied across the circuit by the battery or cell .

Last edited:
Lim Y K said:
if more resistors are added into a circuit, the current will decrease but it will remain the same throughtout the circuit? or will more voltage be required to keep the current at the same speed?

If the resistors are added in series with other components, and the voltage is kept the same, then the current will decrease.

Related to Why Does Current Remain Constant in Series Circuit?

1. Why does current remain constant in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains constant because there is only one path for the current to flow. The same amount of current must flow through each component in the circuit, so it remains constant throughout the entire circuit.

2. How is current affected by the components in a series circuit?

The components in a series circuit, such as resistors and light bulbs, affect the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. Each component adds resistance to the circuit, which can decrease the overall current. However, since the current remains constant in a series circuit, the total resistance of the circuit must also remain constant.

3. What happens to current if a component in a series circuit fails?

If a component in a series circuit fails, the current in the circuit will stop flowing. This is because the circuit is broken and there is no longer a complete path for the current to flow through. The other components in the circuit will not receive any current and will not function.

4. Can the current in a series circuit ever change?

In a series circuit, the current can only change if the components in the circuit are changed. For example, if a resistor with a higher resistance is added to the circuit, the overall resistance will increase, causing the current to decrease. However, as long as the components remain the same, the current will remain constant.

5. Why is it important for current to remain constant in a series circuit?

It is important for current to remain constant in a series circuit because it ensures that all components in the circuit receive the necessary amount of current to function properly. If the current were to vary, it could cause some components to receive too much current and potentially overheat or fail. In addition, a constant current allows for accurate calculations and predictions of the circuit's behavior.