Why Does Kittel's Equation for Fermi Level Include ln(me/mh)?

In summary: The density of states for the electron (or holes) depends on the effective mass. The flatter the curvature of the parabola (i.e., E(k) near it's minimum) the greater the density of states... but that is (by definition) the same as saying that the greater the effective mass the greater the density of states.The density of states of the electron and hole comes into the calculation of the total number of excited electrons and holes (N_e and N_h). That's how the terms m_e and m_h come into the calculation. The term m_h is in this calculation defined to be the negative of the curvature of the valence band near the
DrBrainDead

Homework Statement

In chapter 8, page 207 Kittel derives an equation for the fermi level in an intrinsic conductor:
[tex]\mu[/tex]=½Eg + [tex]\frac{3}{4}[/tex]kBT*ln(me/mh)

How am I to understand the ln(me/mh) part? Earlier he states that the effective mass is proportional to the curvature of the energy band, and hence me = - mh.. thus it would be ln(-1) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
DrBrainDead said:

Homework Statement

In chapter 8, page 207 Kittel derives an equation for the fermi level in an intrinsic conductor:
[tex]\mu[/tex]=½Eg + [tex]\frac{3}{4}[/tex]kBT*ln(me/mh)

How am I to understand the ln(me/mh) part? Earlier he states that the effective mass is proportional to the curvature of the energy band, and hence me = - mh.. thus it would be ln(-1) ?

No. First of all, that is absurd since ln(-1) is imaginary...

In my version of Kittel he gives an example right after the equation in which m_e=m_h=m. I.e., it is apparent from context that the masses m_e and m_h are taken as positive quantities here.

Naturally the masses will have to be of the same sign for anything to make sense; what I'm asking is why? The masses than enter the ln(x) are the effective masses, right? How is the equation then to be understood? Is the mass of the hole just assumed to be positive, or...?

DrBrainDead said:
Naturally the masses will have to be of the same sign for anything to make sense; what I'm asking is why? The masses than enter the ln(x) are the effective masses, right? How is the equation then to be understood? Is the mass of the hole just assumed to be positive, or...?

The density of states for the electron (or holes) depends on the effective mass. The flatter the curvature of the parabola (i.e., E(k) near it's minimum) the greater the density of states... but that is (by definition) the same as saying that the greater the effective mass the greater the density of states.

The density of states of the electron and hole comes into the calculation of the total number of excited electrons and holes (N_e and N_h). That's how the terms m_e and m_h come into the calculation. The term m_h is in this calculation defined to be the negative of the curvature of the valence band near the band maximum.

Kittel gives explicit expressions for N_e and N_h and says that by setting them equal to each other one arrives at the equation given in your original post. Have you reproduced these calculations of N_e and N_h yourself yet?

Related to Why Does Kittel's Equation for Fermi Level Include ln(me/mh)?

1. What is the concept of effective mass in solid state physics?

The concept of effective mass refers to the mass of an electron or hole in a solid material, which can differ from its actual mass due to interactions with the surrounding crystal lattice. It is a useful parameter in understanding the behavior of charge carriers in semiconductors and other materials.

2. How is effective mass related to band structure in materials?

Effective mass is directly related to the curvature of the energy bands in a material's band structure. A higher curvature corresponds to a lower effective mass, while a flatter band results in a higher effective mass. This relationship plays a crucial role in determining the electrical and optical properties of a material.

3. What factors can affect the effective mass of electrons in a material?

The effective mass of electrons can be influenced by several factors, including the material's crystal structure, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects. It can also vary depending on the direction and energy of the electron within the material's band structure.

4. How is effective mass experimentally measured?

Effective mass can be experimentally measured through various techniques, such as cyclotron resonance, Hall effect, and optical absorption measurements. These methods involve applying an external magnetic field or electric field to the material and measuring the resulting changes in the charge carriers' motion.

5. What are some practical applications of effective mass in materials science?

Effective mass is an essential concept in understanding the electronic properties of various materials, such as semiconductors, metals, and insulators. It is used in the design and development of electronic devices, such as transistors, solar cells, and LEDs. Effective mass also plays a crucial role in the study of novel materials for potential applications in quantum computing and energy storage.