Why Does V1 Equal Zero in My KCL Thevenin Calculation?

• Thread starter Fjolvar
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not quite sure what you mean :/In summary, I tried solving this problem using KCL, but V1 keeps adding up to zero for my second set of equations. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help is much appreciated.
Fjolvar
I tried solving this problem using KCL, but V1 keeps adding up to zero for my second set of equations. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help is much appreciated.

1. Homework Statement

I need to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit. I chose to find the Isc and the Voc by using KCL, since I don't see another way.

o72d0w.jpg

Homework Equations

KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
You can see for equation 2, my V1 equals zero due to the dependent current source relation. Not sure how to get around this.

2vltrf5.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Right at the start you write is = 8v/2Ω

Why do you say this?

NascentOxygen said:
Right at the start you write is = 8v/2Ω

Why do you say this?

My mistake. That should read (v1-8)/2.

I'm still stuck on the second equation however since v1 equals zero. Am I missing something obvious here?

My mistake. That should read (v1-8)/2.

I don't think that's right either.

Edit: Do you mean "Is = (v1-8)/2" or that term in equation should be (v1-8)/2 ? The latter is correct.

Last edited:
CWatters said:
I don't think that's right either.

Edit: Do you mean "Is = (v1-8)/2" or that term in equation should be (v1-8)/2

That's for the term in the first KCL equation. But V1 in the second equation equals zero which has me stuck. I can't set up my equations to find any of the unknowns.

I think you mean V2 = 0 not V1.

CWatters said:
I think you mean V2 = 0 not V1.

I mean (-1/20 + 1/20) zeroes out V1 at node 2, since the dependent source is equal to 0.05V1

Fjolvar said:
You can see for equation 2, my V1 equals zero due to the dependent current source relation. Not sure how to get around this.
I see the problem. They cunningly have the current source always draining the entire current sourced through the 20Ω.

An alternative method to determine the impedance at ab is to apply a test voltage across ab and calculate how much current is drawn from that source. I guess that means the Thévenin equivalent will then be a simple resistance.

NascentOxygen said:
I see the problem. They cunningly have the current source always draining the entire current sourced through the 20Ω.

An alternative method to determine the impedance at ab is to apply a test voltage across ab and calculate how much current is drawn from that source. I guess that means the Thévenin equivalent will then be a simple resistance.

I'm not quite sure what you mean :/

If V2=0 you can connect node V2 to 0V with a wire. Try that and redraw the left hand side of the circuit.

Fjolvar said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean :/
Connect a 1v supply to the right-hand side of a-b and calculate the current that flows into a-b from that 1v source.

Related to Why Does V1 Equal Zero in My KCL Thevenin Calculation?

What is KCL and how is it used in circuit analysis?

KCL, or Kirchhoff's Current Law, is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in an electric circuit must be equal to zero. This law is used to determine unknown currents in a circuit and can simplify complex circuits into smaller, more manageable ones.

What is the Thevenin theorem and how is it applied?

The Thevenin theorem is a method for simplifying complex electrical circuits into an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor. This equivalent circuit can then be used to analyze the behavior of the original circuit. It is applied by determining the open-circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance of the original circuit.

How do I solve a circuit using KCL and Thevenin theorem?

To solve a circuit using KCL and Thevenin theorem, you first need to identify the node of interest and apply KCL to determine the unknown currents. Then, use the Thevenin theorem to simplify the circuit and determine the equivalent voltage source and resistance. Finally, use Ohm's law to calculate the voltage or current at the node of interest.

What are the limitations of using KCL and Thevenin theorem?

While KCL and Thevenin theorem are powerful tools for circuit analysis, they do have some limitations. KCL assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that the currents and voltages are constant. Thevenin theorem is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning that the components follow Ohm's law.

What are some tips for effectively using KCL and Thevenin theorem?

Some tips for effectively using KCL and Thevenin theorem include clearly identifying the node of interest, breaking down complex circuits into smaller ones, and double-checking your calculations. It can also be helpful to draw out the circuit and label all known and unknown values before beginning the analysis.