Why Doesn't Cooking Chicken in Aluminum Foil Cause an Explosion?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminium
In summary, cooking a chicken with pure aluminium foil can be dangerous due to the potential reaction between the metal and the steam released from the chicken, resulting in the production of aluminium oxide and hydrogen. However, this is not likely to occur due to the corrosion resistant properties of aluminium and its protective oxide coating. Other possible explanations may also contribute to preventing this reaction.
Bipolarity
Straight off of one of my textbooks:
"Cooking a chicken with pure aluminium foil should be a dangerous activity. This is because the aluminium metal would react with the steam given off from the chicken to produce aluminium oxide and hydrogen... BANG! Can you explain why this does not happen? ""

I feel that this does not happen because aluminium is corrosion resistant with its own protective oxide coat, but I have a feeling there are other possible explanations.

Discuss.

BiP

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sounds correct to me, aluminum foil is passivated with oxides, so amount of hydrogen that can be produced is way too low.

Related to Why Doesn't Cooking Chicken in Aluminum Foil Cause an Explosion?

1. What are the most common uses of aluminium?

Aluminium is a versatile metal that is used in a wide range of industries. The most common uses of aluminium include construction, transportation, packaging, and electrical applications.

2. What makes aluminium a popular choice for construction?

Aluminium is a lightweight and strong metal, making it an ideal choice for construction projects. It is also highly resistant to corrosion, making it suitable for use in outdoor structures.

3. How is aluminium used in transportation?

Aluminium is used in various forms in transportation, including car bodies, aircraft structures, and bicycle frames. Its light weight helps to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

4. What are the advantages of using aluminium in packaging?

Aluminium is a non-toxic and non-reactive metal, making it safe for use in food and beverage packaging. It is also lightweight and easily recyclable, making it a sustainable choice for packaging materials.

5. Can aluminium be used in electrical applications?

Yes, aluminium is a good conductor of electricity and is used in the production of electrical wiring and components. It is also commonly used in consumer electronics, such as smartphones and laptops.