Why is the baseline of my spectra raised?

• Thread starter magnesium12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectra
In summary, the conversation discusses the results of taking two spectra of a blank cuvette with a spectrophotometer, one with a black cloth covering the system and one without. The baseline of the second spectrum was higher, leading to a discussion on the effects of stray light and the possibility of the instrument or cuvettes being at fault. The suggestion to switch the cuvettes to determine the source of the issue is also mentioned.
magnesium12

Homework Statement

I took 2 spectra (measuring intensity) of a blank cuvette with a spectrometer. The first time (a) I did not put a black cloth on top of cuvette/spectrometer. The second time (b) I did put a black cloth on the system. The baseline of (b) was notably higher than the baseline of (a). Shouldn't it be the other way around since having a black cloth stops stray light from entering the system, which should decrease intensity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to check the spectrophotometer assuming the cuvettes are equal, or the other way round? I presume probably the first.

Is this a double beam spectrophotometer? That works by comparing intensity of light passing through the sample to be measured with another through a reference cuvette. So yes, the effect of covering the instrument seems to indicate stray light. But if, say, they were in balance when uncovered and you seem to have absorption by the sample, you could explain the observations by the stray light entering the pathway of the reference sample more than me one you think you're measuring. Maybe the person who last adjusted the instrument did so without covering it! Anyway a thing surely to do, since you must worry about the cuvettes in themselves, or how they sit exactly in the instrument, is to switch them. If you then have a negative baseline, it's the fault of the cuvettes. If you still have the same positive baseline, it's the fault of the instrument, the electronics of the optics.

If you are able to do anything more come back and tell us any results

Last edited:

Related to Why is the baseline of my spectra raised?

1. What is the baseline of a spectrum?

The baseline of a spectrum is the horizontal line that runs through the bottom of the graph and represents the intensity or signal level when there is no sample present. It is used as a reference point for the rest of the data in the spectrum.

2. Why does the baseline of my spectra appear raised?

There are several possible reasons for a raised baseline in a spectrum. It could be due to electronic noise in the instrument or sample, poor quality or incorrect calibration of the instrument, or contamination of the sample or instrument.

3. How does a raised baseline affect my spectral analysis?

A raised baseline can affect the accuracy and precision of your spectral analysis. It can obscure small peaks or changes in the spectrum, making it difficult to interpret and analyze the data accurately. It can also affect the baseline correction and normalization process, which is necessary for accurate quantitative analysis.

4. How can I correct a raised baseline in my spectra?

There are a few methods for correcting a raised baseline in spectra. One option is to use software tools to adjust the baseline manually. Another option is to subtract a blank or reference spectrum from your sample spectrum to remove any background noise or contamination. It is also important to ensure that your instrument is properly calibrated and maintained to minimize baseline issues.

5. Can a raised baseline be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent a raised baseline in spectra, there are some steps you can take to minimize the likelihood of it occurring. These include using high-quality instruments and properly calibrating and maintaining them, using clean and uncontaminated samples, and utilizing appropriate baseline correction methods during data analysis.

Back