Why is the interval solution this?

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary, the given ODE \frac{dy}{dx}-y = x^2 \sin{x} has a solution of y=cx-x\cos{x} and an interval of solution of (0, \infty), rather than (-\infty, \infty). This is because x=0 was eliminated in order to write the ODE in the form \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)=\sin(x), and the interval must be continuous. It is not clear why the interval (0, \infty) was chosen over the interval (-\infty,0). There is no mention of an initial condition.
find_the_fun
The question is solve, give transient term and interval of solution for \(\displaystyle x \frac{dy}{dx}-y = x^2 \sin{x}\) and the answer key has \(\displaystyle y=cx-x\cos{x}\) and \(\displaystyle (0, \infty)\). Why wouldn't the interval be \(\displaystyle (-\infty, \infty)\)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see why $x=0$ is eliminated in order to write the ODE in the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)=\sin(x)\)

But I don't know why they have restricted $x$ only to positive values. :D

MarkFL said:
I can see why $x=0$ is eliminated in order to write the ODE in the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)=\sin(x)\)

But I don't know why they have restricted $x$ only to positive values. :D

Isn't it because interval has to be continuous i.e. can't have a break at 0?

find_the_fun said:
Isn't it because interval has to be continuous i.e. can't have a break at 0?

What I mean is I don't see why the interval $(-\infty,0)$ couldn't be chosen either. Not both, but one or the other. :D

Was there an initial condition? If so, was it in $(-\infty,0)$ or $(0,\infty)$?

FAQ: Why is the interval solution this?

1. Why is the interval solution this?

The interval solution is determined by the specific problem being solved and the available data. It is a mathematical representation of the range of possible values for the solution. This range is often necessary due to uncertainty or variability in the data, and it allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the problem.

2. How is the interval solution different from a single point solution?

A single point solution is a specific value that is determined as the best or most optimal solution to a problem. It does not take into account any potential variability or uncertainty in the data. In contrast, an interval solution considers the range of possible values and provides a more comprehensive understanding of the problem.

3. Can the interval solution change depending on the data used?

Yes, the interval solution can change depending on the data used. As the data is the basis for determining the range of values, if the data changes, the range and therefore the interval solution may also change. This is why it is important to carefully consider the data and its accuracy when determining an interval solution.

4. How do you determine the confidence level for an interval solution?

The confidence level for an interval solution is determined by the level of certainty or probability assigned to the range of values. This can be based on statistical analysis or expert judgement. A higher confidence level indicates a greater certainty in the interval solution.

5. Can an interval solution be used to make a decision?

An interval solution can be used to make a decision, but it is important to consider the level of uncertainty and variability in the data. The interval solution may provide a range of possible outcomes, so it is important to carefully weigh the potential risks and benefits before making a decision based on the interval solution.