Why is the relativistic mass a rejected concept?

In summary, the failure of some students affects the scientific models so because it makes increase of energy of an object with velocity or momentum appear to be connected with some change in internal structure of the object.
Drakkith said:
No. It is not length contracting in its own frame. The density of the object is not increasing.

I hope you realize that was a joke, poking at my insistence that if only we stop using relativistic mass, newbie questions about fast moving objects will turn into black holes will go away. Atyy certainly doesn't believe that a black hole would form. Getting the joke, and the point, I responded, "no that's a black pancake, not a black hole".

Physics news on Phys.org
PAllen said:
I hope you realize that was a joke, poking at my insistence that if only we stop using relativistic mass, newbie questions about fast moving objects will turn into black holes will go away. Atyy certainly doesn't believe that a black hole would form. Getting the joke, and the point, I responded, "no that's a black pancake, not a black hole".

It makes so much sense now!

I guess that's what I get for not reading the whole thread lol.