Why is this happening? (losing confidence in my math and science skills)

• Thread starter QuantamMaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    math
QuantamMaster
Hello, I am a middle schooler who likes doing math, physics, and other forms of science. This year, when school starts, I will be attending clubs such as the science olympiad and Math Counts.

In a previous thread, I have asked how to study for math counts, but when I started studying I noticed that I am very bad at the content and I lack the skills and confidence. I am going into 8th grade but am already doing algebra II/advanced geometry at home and at school, I should be doing honors geometry.

I am really confused and questioning whether I should compete because all my friends who are of the same intelligence or less are doing better than me because they qualified for the top 10 in the school district, went to state, and almost went to nationals.

I am losing confidence, so any advice helps! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Being good in Math and being good in competitions are to some extent different qualifications. It is hard to tell without specific examples where you could improve, especially as I am unfamiliar with Math Counts. Practice is generally a key to improving in certain tasks. That said you could solve the many problems in
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solution-manuals-for-the-math-challenges.977057/
(search the pdf for "HS") that gives you many problems on all levels and provides solutions.

Likes Math100, Klystron, berkeman and 1 other person
QuantamMaster said:
Hello, I am a middle schooler who likes doing math, physics, and other forms of science. This year, when school starts, I will be attending clubs such as the science olympiad and Math Counts.

In a previous thread, I have asked how to study for math counts, but when I started studying I noticed that I am very bad at the content and I lack the skills and confidence. I am going into 8th grade but am already doing algebra II/advanced geometry at home and at school, I should be doing honors geometry.

I am really confused and questioning whether I should compete because all my friends who are of the same intelligence or less are doing better than me because they qualified for the top 10 in the school district, went to state, and almost went to nationals.

Like your enthusiasm, however similar to any athletic competition, I would not jump into any competition without first having a grip on the material. I would wait until instruction by your teacher so that you have a better idea of where you are at with algebra II/geometry.

I once participated in a physics olympiad and failed miserably when I was 15. Later I studied physics and got myself a PhD in a string theory related subject. Admittedly, to some critics again a miserable failure :P

Confusion and making mistakes is an important and inherent part of learning. Some people also admit their confusion more easily than others. I met some 'fakers' during my PhD; people who pretended to understand stuff by throwing with jargon.

Likes berkeman and fresh_42
QuantamMaster said:

Competitions can be great ... if you enjoy them. But if they are starting to make you feel bad about yourself, skip them.

At this point in your life, you should be exploring a variety of subjects and discovering activities that you enjoy (e.g., science fair projects and clubs not narrowly focussed on competitions).