Will past personal issues affect Obama's 2012 campaign?

• News
  • Thread starter WhoWee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strategy
In summary: LA Times.In summary, White House press Secretary Robert Gibbs is stepping down. This signals the start of campaign 2012. Gibbs has been with the President since 2004 and has been an effective advocate.
No, I don't think the president has to regain the independent voters, provided he replaces each one that stays home with one from the base, and each one that votes for his opponent with two from the base. It certainly would be numerically easier to try and shift to the middle, but he could adopt the same strategy Speaker Pelosi did in passing ObamaCare - don't worry about losing the 34 democrats in the center so long as you don't lose any on the left.

The beauty of a proposal like Citizen's Guaranteed Income is that it doesn't have to be practical, or even passable. It just has to drum up votes from the base. The numbers don't work, but the degree to which they don't work is comparable to other plans where the numbers don't work. That will let the talking heads gush about it on TV.

Physics news on Phys.org
Char. Limit said:
I don't think you guys saw the point. I wasn't saying "Vote Obama!" I was saying "Yes he does have experience".

Finally. He doesn't seemed to have learned much or gained much common sense during his time in office, though. He's still pursing ideals rather than making decisions based upon facts.

Vanadium 50 said:
The beauty of a proposal like Citizen's Guaranteed Income is that it doesn't have to be practical, or even passable. It just has to drum up votes from the base. The numbers don't work, but the degree to which they don't work is comparable to other plans where the numbers don't work. That will let the talking heads gush about it on TV.

I think the President would lose all credibility with the center if he attempts such a proposal. Worse yet, he might lose the unions - when they calculate the tax increases required in the $40K+ income range to pay for such a plan. Do you recall the push-back about taxing the "Cadillac" health plans enjoyed by unions?

WhoWee said:
I think the President would lose all credibility with the center if he attempts such a proposal.

That ship may have already sailed. Did you see the latest polls? Only 22% of people say they approve of the GOP leadership, and the president is still running neck and neck in the polls against "unnamed republican".

I like what Newt is doing - wider brush strokes for now - the specific details will be posted a month or 2 before the 2012 election.
http://www.latimes.com/health/healthcare/la-na-0930-gingrich-20110930,0,3829718.story

"Gingrich presents another 'Contract with America'
The Republican presidential hopeful unveils a set of policy proposals, much like he did in 1994. His plan addresses healthcare, taxes and the border, among other issues."

When asked for a few specifics - Newt said he would fire all of the "czars" and re-work healthcare reform through formal Congressional process and in the open - with all hearings televised this time.

I received 3 invitations to contribute to the re-election campaign today - Michelle, Barack, and Joe Biden emails. Apparently there is a deadline of some type this evening? At least Michelle and Barack are offering a dinner - Joe just wants me to send cash (same as the guy yesterday and the day before, and the day before that). :smile: I really do love America!

Is it possible to raise $1Billion in election funds and still be the underdog?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pres...erdog-2012-race-white-house/story?id=14656286

"Calling himself an "underdog," President Obama today said the faltering economy is a drag on his presidency and seriously impairing his chances of winning again in 2012.

"Absolutely," he said in response to a question from ABC News' George Stephanopoulos about whether the odds were against him come November 2012, given the economy. "I'm used to being the underdog. But at the end of the day people are going to ask -- who's got a vision?"

The American people, he conceded, are "not better off" than they were four years ago.

"The unemployment rate is way too high," he said of the 9 percent jobless rate, the highest in more than half a century.

Obama said his proposed American Jobs Act will put construction workers, teachers and veterans to work and give "more consumers more confidence.""

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...bout-the-money/2011/04/04/AFflkfcC_story.html

Apparently, the $1Billion isn't enough unless the base is motivated to hit the streets?

The time frame for investigating Attorney General Eric Holder of perjury charges (in front of Congress) could not be worse for President Obama.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/04/eric-holder-investigation_n_994429.html

"House Republicans have asked the White House to appoint a special counsel to determine whether Attorney General Eric Holder lied during his testimony about a botched gun-trafficking operation, Fox News reports.

Documents obtained by CBS News show that Holder knew about the operation, dubbed "Operation Fast And Furious," as early as July 2010, which would contradict his testimony in May of this year, during which he said, "I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks."

A Justice Department official told The Huffington Post that the attorney general "has consistently said he became aware of the questionable tactics in early 2011 when ATF agents first raised them publicly, and then promptly asked the IG to investigate the matter.""

I find this very strange. Is it even possible that Holder didn't bother to open the file - to see what went across his desk (and when) - prior to testifying (on the subject) in front of Congress? Why would the Attorney General testify unprepared in front of Congress?

Sure it could have come at a worse time. The election is 13 months away.

Vanadium 50 said:
Sure it could have come at a worse time. The election is 13 months away.

An investigation of this type might require 13 months.

By that time, people will have forgotten all about it.

Vanadium 50 said:
By that time, people will have forgotten all about it.

Not if it results in perjury charges against the Attorney General - an agent was killed with one of these weapons.

President Obama mentioned the other scandal in his news conference.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/white-house-donor-george-kaiser-lobby-solyndra/story?id=14676071

"President Obama said Thursday that his administration has loaned billions to start-up high tech firms like the now-bankrupt solar firm Solyndra based not on political influence, but "on the merits."

"I have confidence decisions were made based upon what's good for the American people," Obama said in a press conference Thursday in response to questions from ABC News senior White House correspondent Jake Tapper. "There were going to be some companies that did not work out. Solyndra was one of them."

The president addressed multiple questions Thursday about Solyndra, the first recipient of a government loan under a program to help finance start-up companies in the fledgling field of green energy. Solyndra declared bankruptcy last month, locking out 1,100 workers. The Energy Department loan is now the focus of investigations by Congress and by the Department of Justice.

"All I can say is the Department of Energy made these decisions based on their best judgments," Obama said, defending the decision to make Solyndra the country's first loan guarantee recipient."

President Obama may regret the words "on the merits" and "decisions were made based upon what's good for the American people". Perhaps future loans exceeding a half billion dollars should be evaluated on the company's ability to repay - not on the "merits"?:rolleyes:

I visited the Department of Labor website today - to gather the latest jobs report (unemployment 9.1%) - and found this.
http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/opa/OPA20111474.htm

"Statement by Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis on September employment numbers"

""In September, we saw 34,000 local government workers lose their jobs, including 24,000 teachers and other education professionals. The American Jobs Act will stop these losses and give municipalities the support they need to put our educators back in the classroom. Giving our youth a first-class education is critical to our long-term success in the global economy.
"Independent forecasters estimate that the American Jobs Act will create as many as 1.9 million jobs and increase economic growth by as much as two percentage points, if enacted. That's more than 150,000 additional jobs a month. It's crucial that this bill gets an up-or-down vote in both the House and Senate. If leaders in Congress refuse to put the bill to a vote, respected forecasters believe we will see lackluster GDP and job growth in 2012. Inaction is not a responsible option for any lawmaker who is serious about putting this country back to work.""

While it may be acceptable for her to comment on political issues - I think she should be held fully accountable (along with the President) for definitive statements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought President Obama wanted to help US Green Energy firms compete in the global market? Shouldn't the companies receiving loan assistance - especially $1.2 Billion in loan assistance - be owned by US companies and citizens? my bold

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/10/12/dept-energys-sunpower-loan-guarantee-under-fire/

"Here’s why people should be upset at yet another Department of Energy guaranteed loan to a solar company:

The company, SunPower, got a conditional guarantee for a $1.2 billion loan from the Energy Dept. back in the spring, according to the DOE's website.But this company was getting financing in the capital markets. Why hit up taxpayers to get backstops on loans?
And soon after the project run by SunPower got this loan guarantee, SunPower sold a big stake in itself, an estimated $1.3 billion, to French energy giant Total, at a 46% premium to its shares at the time

Total also gave it a $1 billion credit line, according to the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Total deal, along with the loan guarantee, helped SunPower's stock rise.

A SunPower spokesman confirmed all this, but said the company is in a quiet period in advance of its next quarterly profit report, due out in early November. The Department of Energy did not return calls for comment, but its press statement on this loan guarantee says it conducted "months of rigorous technical, financial and legal due diligence" on this project so it met "the requirements of the program -- helping America win the clean energy race and create new industries for American workers." "

There's more

"This project will only create 15 new, permanent jobs, according to the DOE website. If it fails, that would come at a cost of more than $80 million in taxpayer money for each of those jobs. "

Sounds like Total got a huge bargain, just around the time U.S. investment firms battened down the hatches on domestic investment.

DoggerDan said:
Sounds like Total got a huge bargain, just around the time U.S. investment firms battened down the hatches on domestic investment.

I'll label this IMO - given the source.
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46761

"According to the Department of Energy (DOE) website, the CVSR project will create 350 construction jobs during the two-year build and 15 permanent jobs—presumably those are the squeegee men for keeping the panels clean.

Capitol Hill powerbroker Rep. George Miller (D.-Calif.), center, hosted Interior Sec. Kenneth L. Salazar, left, on an Oct. 14, 2010 tour of SunPower's Richmond, Calif., plant. During the tour, Salazar said plants like SunPower's transform renewable energy ideas into reality. One month later, the company announced it had restated its 2008 and 2009 financial filings to correct for unsubstantiated accounting entries.

If $80 million per permanent job seems a little high, even for the current Obama administration, you are correct. In addition to the 350 construction jobs and the 15 squeegee men, there will an as-yet-undetermined number of jobs created building the panels for the CVSR—in Mexicali, Mexico.

The company is looking for a facility of up to 320,000 square feet, where it will build three different solar panel models and its solar roof tiles, according the company’s Aug. 5 statement.

Marty T. Neese, the company's chief operating officer, said, “Establishing our own manufacturing facility in Mexicali means we will be positioned to quickly deliver our high-efficiency, high-reliability solar products to a growing North American solar market.”

Mexicali Mayor Francisco Perez Tejada Padilla said he was thrilled. “Mexicali is rapidly becoming an industrial hub for high-tech companies, offering an educated workforce and a growing manufacturing area,” he said. “We welcome SunPower to our city and are pleased that they have chosen Mexicali to establish its solar panel manufacturing facility.”

The good news for Mexican jobs seekers did not affect the DOE's loan guarantee to SunPower. Hours before the DOE 1705 loan program expired at the end of Fiscal Year 2011 on Sept. 30, the $1.2 billion in loan guarantees was approved for the company."

WhoWee, I think we're in agreement, but please, chill, dude, as I feel I'm in Katrina when I'm reading your stuff.

Perhaps that just how much counter-obamination stuff that's out there.

Don't know, though. I prefer to make up my own mind.

DoggerDan said:
WhoWee, I think we're in agreement, but please, chill, dude, as I feel I'm in Katrina when I'm reading your stuff.

Perhaps that just how much counter-obamination stuff that's out there.

Don't know, though. I prefer to make up my own mind.

Please sit in a comfortable chair with a refreshing beverage and a snack - then read this slowly.:wink:

You can't make his stuff up - the last story involves $1.2 Billion in tax payer guarantees to create jobs and establish the US as the solar leader(?). Then we find out a French company acquired them - once the guarantees were in place. Now it's determined there will only be 15 permanent US jobs (squeegeeing panels) and the manufacturing jobs will be created in Mexico at a 320,000 sq ft facility.

Is the base going to like this move?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/world/africa/africa-obama-troops/

"Obama orders U.S. troops to help chase down African 'army' leader"

""I have authorized a small number of combat-equipped U.S. forces to deploy to central Africa to provide assistance to regional forces that are working toward the removal of Joseph Kony from the battlefield," Obama said in letter sent Friday to House Speaker John Boehner and Daniel Inouye, the president pro tempore of the Senate. Kony is the head of the Lord's Resistance Army.

U.S. military personnel advising regional forces working to target Kony and other senior leaders will not engage Kony's forces "unless necessary for self-defense," Obama said.
"I believe that deploying these U.S. armed forces furthers U.S. national security interests and foreign policy and will be a significant contribution toward counter-LRA efforts in central Africa.""

What sounds better - the "Warlord of Washington" or the "Washington Warlord"?

WhoWee said:
What sounds better - the "Warlord of Washington" or the "Washington Warlord"?

What sounds better - 2,400 killed, 3,400 abducted, or 380,000 displaced?

"According to the State Department, "since 2008 alone, the LRA has killed more than 2,400 people and abducted more than 3,400. The United Nations estimates that over 380,000 people are displaced across the region because of LRA activity."

DoggerDan said:
What sounds better - 2,400 killed, 3,400 abducted, or 380,000 displaced?

"According to the State Department, "since 2008 alone, the LRA has killed more than 2,400 people and abducted more than 3,400. The United Nations estimates that over 380,000 people are displaced across the region because of LRA activity."

Shouldn't the "UN" be doing more than studying the problem?

From the same link:

"It noted that U.S. Africa Command is "exploring ways to support the military of South Sudan."
In early October 2010, the U.S. military had more than 1,700 troops deployed in sub-Saharan Africa, the Pentagon said. The majority of them -- around 1,380 - were deployed in Djibouti. But U.S. troops had at least a small presence in 33 different nations in sub-Saharan Africa. At this time last year they had nine troops in Uganda."

Let's not forget we also have drone bases in Africa.

WhoWee said:
Shouldn't the "UN" be doing more than studying the problem?

I don't like the UN sticking their noses in other people's business. For that matter, I don't like the US sticking our noses in other people's business. What I like even less, however, is to stand idly by doing nothing while some power-hungry faction displaces, maims, and murders others, often simply to eliminate the competition.

From the same link:

"It noted that U.S. Africa Command is "exploring ways to support the military of South Sudan."
In early October 2010, the U.S. military had more than 1,700 troops deployed in sub-Saharan Africa, the Pentagon said. The majority of them -- around 1,380 - were deployed in Djibouti. But U.S. troops had at least a small presence in 33 different nations in sub-Saharan Africa. At this time last year they had nine troops in Uganda."

Let's not forget we also have drone bases in Africa.

Looks like we're poised to do something. I don't mind doing something, provided its needed, but only if we do it and leave. If we have to stick around, we didn't do what needed to be done.

DoggerDan said:
I don't like the UN sticking their noses in other people's business. For that matter, I don't like the US sticking our noses in other people's business. What I like even less, however, is to stand idly by doing nothing while some power-hungry faction displaces, maims, and murders others, often simply to eliminate the competition.

Looks like we're poised to do something. I don't mind doing something, provided its needed, but only if we do it and leave. If we have to stick around, we didn't do what needed to be done.

I think you need to start with an exit strategy in a place like Africa.

Personally, I'd start by organizing agriculture and trying to train a workforce - to build shelters and basic manufacturing/assembly of some type. While some might consider it exploitation of the people - they need an economy of some type.

Anyone that tried to interfere would be given one opportunity to retire as a soldier. If the people see that the focus is different - that a better standard of living is possible (for everyone) - the mindset MIGHT change?

Label this last part IMO - I have a friend that served the Clinton Administration as an Ambassador to a really poor African nation (don't recall the name). Their primary export was artwork - made from things they collected such as butterfly wings. He helped organize exports and the local economy thrived - by their standards.

Good points, whowee. And it's somewhat true that areas where the standard of living is increased have a lot more vested (a lot more to loose) if they allow things to go downhill. Generally speaking, they tend to make the effort to keep it.

WhoWee said:
I think you need to start with an exit strategy in a place like Africa.

Personally, I'd start by organizing agriculture and trying to train a workforce - to build shelters and basic manufacturing/assembly of some type. While some might consider it exploitation of the people - they need an economy of some type.

Anyone that tried to interfere would be given one opportunity to retire as a soldier. If the people see that the focus is different - that a better standard of living is possible (for everyone) - the mindset MIGHT change?

Label this last part IMO - I have a friend that served the Clinton Administration as an Ambassador to a really poor African nation (don't recall the name). Their primary export was artwork - made from things they collected such as butterfly wings. He helped organize exports and the local economy thrived - by their standards.

Your exit strategy is to spend years building up their economy so they'll be capable of supporting factories that take away American jobs?

BobG said:
Your exit strategy is to spend years building up their economy so they'll be capable of supporting factories that take away American jobs?

I imagine some folks would prefer to provide $Billions in Aid to yet another regime - with hopes they would build housing and feed their people - and purchase from US factories? I'd rather help the people become self sufficient and open a new market for free trade with US factories. Let's be realistic, the average family might need a basic (kit type) house with a solid floor and running water (toilet and sink), a light bulb and a portable electric grill.

As for taking years - can you recall a time in your life when starvation wasn't a problem in Africa?

Does anyone think voters will consider this a good investment in 2012?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...to-company-building-electric-cars-in-finland/

"The Department of Energy is standing by a $529 million loan guarantee to a company building an electric car line in Finland.
A department official, in a lengthy response posted on a government blog Thursday night, confirmed that the company Fisker is assembling its Karma electric car at its "overseas facility."
The response comes after ABC News reported that the Obama administration gave the green light for the company to move the manufacturing to Finland two years after announcing the loan. "

To be fair - J. Carney indicated all of the money will stay in the US. The article mentions a plant in Joe Biden's home state of Delaware and a possible tie to Al Gore - apparently we'll have to wait for more details to emerge?

WhoWee said:
Does anyone think voters will consider this a good investment in 2012?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...to-company-building-electric-cars-in-finland/

"The Department of Energy is standing by a $529 million loan guarantee to a company building an electric car line in Finland.
A department official, in a lengthy response posted on a government blog Thursday night, confirmed that the company Fisker is assembling its Karma electric car at its "overseas facility."
The response comes after ABC News reported that the Obama administration gave the green light for the company to move the manufacturing to Finland two years after announcing the loan. "

To be fair - J. Carney indicated all of the money will stay in the US. The article mentions a plant in Joe Biden's home state of Delaware and a possible tie to Al Gore - apparently we'll have to wait for more details to emerge?
Fisker absolutely is a deal arranged by Gore. All the money will stay in the US? Unless Finland is kicking in heavily on the deal this is idiotic at best.

mheslep said:
Fisker absolutely is a deal arranged by Gore.

"Gore?" As in "Al Gore?" What in the world is his involvement with all this?

DoggerDan said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Al+Gore+Fisker+loan"

DoggerDan said:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125383160812639013.html

"A tiny car company backed by former Vice President Al Gore has just gotten a $529 million U.S. government loan to help build a hybrid sports car in Finland that will sell for about $89,000."

WhoWee said:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125383160812639013.html

"A tiny car company backed by former Vice President Al Gore has just gotten a $529 million U.S. government loan to help build a hybrid sports car in Finland that will sell for about $89,000."

Why? Can't Finland fund their own business ventures? Or is this merely one Dem doling out favors by padding the income of another? Perhaps in return for financial support? Step 1: Give Gore U.S. Taxpayer Funds. Step 2: Gore gets a ridiculous salary. Step 3: Gore contributes half of his ridiculous salary to Obama's campaign. Net Result: Misuse of government tax dollars to fund one candidate's campaign.

I think I'll write my Congressman about this. If these funds are being funneled through Gore back into Obama's campaign, it's probably an ethics violation.

DoggerDan said:
Why? Can't Finland fund their own business ventures? Or is this merely one Dem doling out favors by padding the income of another? Perhaps in return for financial support? Step 1: Give Gore U.S. Taxpayer Funds. Step 2: Gore gets a ridiculous salary. Step 3: Gore contributes half of his ridiculous salary to Obama's campaign. Net Result: Misuse of government tax dollars to fund one candidate's campaign.

I think I'll write my Congressman about this. If these funds are being funneled through Gore back into Obama's campaign, it's probably an ethics violation.

I think the funds will be invested into the car programs. I also believe the plant in Joe Biden's home State of Delaware will be retrofitted. I just don't think the venture will succeed as the cars are too expensive.