Will This Method Yield Absolute Synch?

In summary: Absolute synchronicity of clocks is impossible in relativity. The setup described above may seem like it would work, but it does not hold up under closer scrutiny.
tonto
-simple procedure designed to absolutely synchronize clocks-

Picture the face of a very large clock with a one hand.

Let's place a small clock A at the 9 o'clk position of the
large clock, and let's place another small clock B at the
3 o'clk position.

We use clock A to time the large clock's hand for one
round trip. We then preset clock B to read half of this
time, and we let B be started by the large clock's hand
when it arrives after leaving B at its time zero.

At this point, clocks A and B should be absolutely synch'd.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as absolute simultaneity in relativity, so no.

The specific problem with your setup is that an observer in motion with respect to the clock won't (in general) agree that it will take the same amount of time to sweep out 9-3 as it will to sweep out 3-9.

They also will not generally agree that the large hand is straight.

DaleSpam said:
They also will not generally agree that the large hand is straight.
Interesting, never thought of that... An effect of how rotation is viewed? Even if the clock is viewed "head on" (perpendicular to the direction of sight and motion)?

Ah thanks - not that I quite grasp the effect yet, but at least I see how it could arise.. don't say more it's a fun little puzzle:)

"combo reply"

I realize that special relativity does not have absolute
simultaneity, but this does not make it impossible.

In my setup, it matters not what some outside observers
may see; all that matters is the fact that the large hand's
speed must be constant because the center shaft's speed
is constant.

And any observed hand curvature would not matter as
long as there is no intrinsic curvature.

If there is intrinsic curving, then I suppose it could be
minimized by very slow hand movement.

Of maybe it could be eliminated by replacing the large
hand with a sweeping laser beam.

Just some thoughts.

Likes wabbit
tonto said:
I realize that special relativity does not have absolute
simultaneity, but this does not make it impossible.
If SR is correct, then yes, it does make (or, rather, accurately describe) absolute simultaneity impossible.

to russ:

How?
(What -- physically -- is there about SR that makes abs. sim. not possible?)

The Lorentz transforms don't preserve the angle between lines, so observers in motion won't in general agree that the central axis is rotating at a constant rate (or, more precisely, will say that the rate varies as a function of angle).

As several posters have already noted, there is no absolute simultaneity in relativity. Any scheme purporting to show otherwise must be based on a misconception.

tonto said:
I realize that special relativity does not have absolute simultaneity, but this does not make it impossible.
Maybe not, but it does make it outside of the scope of this forum. Thread closed.

tonto said:
In my setup, it matters not what some outside observers may see
Of course it does. "Absolute simultaneity" means that all observers agree on it. If outside observers don't agree on the simultaneity, then it isn't absolute.

tonto said:
; all that matters is the fact that the large hand's speed must be constant because the center shaft's speed is constant.
The shaft's speed being constant does not, by itself, imply that the large hand's speed is constant. That conclusion also requires the assumption that the shaft's shape remain constant in time, which is not true in all frames.

tonto said:
And any observed hand curvature would not matter as long as there is no intrinsic curvature.

If there is intrinsic curving, then I suppose it could be minimized by very slow hand movement.

Of maybe it could be eliminated by replacing the large hand with a sweeping laser beam.

Just some thoughts.
The math and the experimental evidence simply do not support any of this.

Last edited:

FAQ: Will This Method Yield Absolute Synch?

1. What is the purpose of absolute synchronization in research methods?

Absolute synchronization is used to ensure that all data collected during an experiment is accurate and consistent. It helps to eliminate any factors that may affect the results of the study, such as external variables or errors in measurements.

2. How is absolute synchronization achieved in research methods?

Absolute synchronization is achieved by carefully controlling all variables and procedures involved in the experiment. This includes using standardized protocols, calibrating equipment, and having a detailed plan for data collection and analysis.

3. Can absolute synchronization be guaranteed in all research methods?

No, absolute synchronization cannot be guaranteed in all research methods. Some experiments may involve complex systems or uncontrollable variables that make it difficult to achieve absolute synchronization. However, researchers should always strive to minimize any potential sources of error.

4. What are the potential consequences of not achieving absolute synchronization in research methods?

If absolute synchronization is not achieved, the results of the study may be inaccurate or inconsistent. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and impact the validity of the research. It may also make it difficult for other scientists to replicate the study and verify the findings.

5. Are there any limitations to absolute synchronization in research methods?

Yes, there are limitations to absolute synchronization in research methods. It may not be possible to control all variables in a real-world setting, and some experiments may require a certain level of variability to accurately reflect natural conditions. Additionally, achieving absolute synchronization may be time-consuming and costly.