Wind Turbine generator on a camper

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a "Tiny Home" on an old camper travel trailer using recycled materials and solar power. The individual is considering a hybrid system with wind energy and is looking for a horizontal wind turbine that will not cause drag while in motion. It is suggested to store the turbine and generate power directly from the car engine when in motion. A useful website is also mentioned for determining the appropriate size of wind turbine based on energy consumption.
TarheelFootpr
I am building a "Tiny Home" on an old camper travel trailer. I am using all recycled materials and any leftover building supplies I can find. I am going to use solar power to generate most of my electric power (lights, outlets, etc.). I am considering using a hybrid system and utilizing wind as well. I know all about the drag issues for generating power to run a car, that is not my desire but to be able to provide power in all weather situations without being on the grid. I want to know if there exists a horizontal wind turbine that will not cause a lot of drag and also be an effective source while sitting still and in motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Generating power and not producing drag are opposite goals. Generating power is what causes the drag! So it would be best to store the turbine and get the power directly from the car engine when in motion and use the turbine when parked.

For practical purposes Russ is right.

But in general, if there is true wind, you can of course use a moving turbine to get wind energy out of it. You just have to make sure that you are slowing the air down relative to the ground (complicated to achieve automatically for all possible situations). On a windless day the moving turbine will inevitably speedup the air relative to the ground. Same goes for tailwind slower that car speed.

I appreciate your desire to use renewable energy sources in your "Tiny Home" project. Wind turbines can definitely be a useful addition to a solar power system, as they can generate electricity even when there is no sunlight available. However, there are some factors to consider when installing a wind turbine on a camper.

Firstly, the size and weight of the wind turbine must be taken into account. The camper trailer is not a stable structure like a building, so the turbine needs to be lightweight and compact to avoid causing any imbalance or damage to the camper. Additionally, the turbine should be securely attached to the camper to prevent any accidents while in motion.

Secondly, the type of wind turbine is important. Horizontal axis wind turbines, which have blades that rotate around a horizontal axis, are generally more efficient and produce more power than vertical axis turbines. However, they may also cause more drag and resistance while in motion. To minimize this, you could consider using a smaller turbine or a more streamlined design.

It is also worth noting that wind turbines require a minimum wind speed to start generating electricity, typically around 6-9 mph. If you plan on traveling to areas with low wind speeds, the turbine may not be as effective as a power source.

In summary, there are horizontal wind turbines that can be suitable for use on a camper, but it is important to carefully consider the size, weight, and design to minimize drag and ensure safe installation. It is also important to keep in mind the potential limitations of wind power in certain weather conditions. I wish you the best of luck with your project and your efforts to use sustainable energy sources.

FAQ: Wind Turbine generator on a camper

1. How does a wind turbine generator work on a camper?

A wind turbine generator on a camper works by using the force of the wind to spin the blades of the turbine, which then rotates a shaft connected to a generator. The generator uses this rotational energy to produce electricity, which can be stored in a battery and used to power various devices in the camper.

2. What are the benefits of having a wind turbine generator on a camper?

There are several benefits to having a wind turbine generator on a camper. It provides a renewable and sustainable source of energy, reducing the need for fossil fuels. It also allows for more independence and flexibility in remote camping locations, where traditional power sources may not be available.

3. How much electricity can a wind turbine generator on a camper produce?

The amount of electricity produced by a wind turbine generator on a camper can vary depending on factors such as wind speed and the size and efficiency of the turbine. On average, a small wind turbine can produce between 100-400 watts of electricity, while larger turbines can produce up to 1,500 watts.

4. Is it difficult to install a wind turbine generator on a camper?

The difficulty of installing a wind turbine generator on a camper can vary depending on the specific model and the experience of the installer. However, most manufacturers provide detailed instructions and support for installation, making it a manageable DIY project for many campers.

5. Are there any safety concerns with having a wind turbine generator on a camper?

As with any source of electricity, there are safety concerns to consider when using a wind turbine generator on a camper. It is important to carefully follow all installation and maintenance instructions provided by the manufacturer. Additionally, it is recommended to use caution and take appropriate safety measures when working near the turbine, such as wearing gloves and safety glasses.

Back