Wiping VMs/PMs and latex images

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure if everyone would be in favor of this. Can you give a little more information about why you want to do this?Although from what...you've said, it sounds like a good idea, I'm not sure if everyone would be in favor of this. Can you give a little more information about why you want to do this?
I am asking for everyone support in wiping the database clean of VMs and PMs. I can clear everything in a few SQL queries, nothing needed on your part. We're near 300k over 10 years and most are inactive members. It would be nice to reclaim that space. Before you ask, no I'm not going to take the time to write a conditional to detect activeness. I'd give proper notice to members and give them roughly a week to download their PMs they want to keep.

Sort of unrelated, in the next few days I'll be clear the 3gigs of old latex images. After that, there really is no going back to the old plugin :) It will help reclaim a ton of backup space.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you're deleting everyone's PMs and VMs?

Hootenanny said:
So you're deleting everyone's PMs and VMs?

That is the proposal yes

Greg Bernhardt said:
That is the proposal yes
Fine with me - they're all warnings and infractions anyway!

Sounds good. They can also copy their VM's easily if they wish.

How about people's thread subscriptions, do they take up much space?

Hootenanny said:
How about people's thread subscriptions, do they take up much space?

Interesting, I haven't looked exactly how they are stored yet.

I'm fine with a global cleaning-out of VMs and PMs.

Did we ever hard delete that HUMONGOUS latex thread we had for years that everyone used for "testing". I kept telling people that after they did their tests to delete them, but no one ever listened. I think chroot may have locked or soft deleted it.

Evo said:
Did we ever hard delete that HUMONGOUS latex thread we had for years that everyone used for "testing". I kept telling people that after they did their tests to delete them, but no one ever listened. I think chroot may have locked or soft deleted it.

It's in locked and in Learning materials. Harmless now because of the mathjax.

I'm okay with deleting PMs and VMs. A week's notice seems kind of short, but a month's notice might be longer than necessary. Maybe give 2 week's notice? (and send it out as an e-mail notification too?)

I'm fine with the cleaning of VM's and PM's. I'll suggest that the notification contain a note about how to download PM's, as many members could be unaware that this is an option. Something along the lines of:

To download all of your private messages, first go to your private messages page. At the bottom right of the page, look for Download all Private Messages and click on one of the options (XML | CSV | Text). This will download all PM's, not just those in the active folder -- but you should confirm for yourself that all PM folders were included in the download.

Alternatively, you can select certain messages and download only those.

Redbelly98 said:
I'm fine with the cleaning of VM's and PM's. I'll suggest that the notification contain a note about how to download PM's, as many members could be unaware that this is an option. Something along the lines of:
I tried dowloading only certain messages, but all were downloaded. My option was to copy and paste individual pm's.

Evo said:
I tried dowloading only certain messages, but all were downloaded. My option was to copy and paste individual pm's.
Download messages downloads the whole set of Inbox and Sent. I periodically save the whole collection, but then also save PMs by the person with whom I exchange PMs, so that I have a record.

There are some I just delete.

Hootenanny said:
Fine with me - they're all warnings and infractions anyway!
Umm. Wait. How did we let you back in?

Seriously, now: Greg, is there a way you can put an expiration date on VMs and PMs so in our new pristine system those PMs and VMs will be auto-deleted when they expire?

Astronuc said:
Download messages downloads the whole set of Inbox and Sent. I periodically save the whole collection, but then also save PMs by the person with whom I exchange PMs, so that I have a record.

There are some I just delete.
Yeah, there are some members that always dispute infractions, so I keep all of the pm exchanges so when they claim we never discussed something, I have copies.

D H said:
Seriously, now: Greg, is there a way you can put an expiration date on VMs and PMs so in our new pristine system those PMs and VMs will be auto-deleted when they expire?

Unfortunately that is not an option

As long as people have enough time and have it explained to them how to download and upload their messages I see no problem.

Ryan_m_b said:
As long as people have enough time and have it explained to them how to download and upload their messages I see no problem.

+1

Although from what I understand it is not possible to save VMs. Not that I remember about any I would like to save. PMs I save now and then, when my PM box becomes full. I am deleting automatic infraction PMs, as these are also present in the User Infractions forum, but everything else I keep, just in case.

Now that I think about it - is it necessary that infraction PMs land in our PM boxes?

Borek said:
+1

Although from what I understand it is not possible to save VMs. Not that I remember about any I would like to save.
Well, I would save the VM I got from Negitron's sister if I could. ITOH it's just as well to move on.
Now that I think about it - is it necessary that infraction PMs land in our PM boxes?
I don't think it's necessary, but at the moment I'm not sure if it can be turned off by default or you must specify no PM everytime you issue an infraction.

I'm OK with flushing the VMs and PMs. (I'd like to keep a few of them, but OK to move on.)

Please don't flush the subscriptions! Yikes--that's the only way I can keep track of threads.

Is there any way to turn off the default option that sends a copy of every warning/infraction sent to your sent PM folder? (I've started to manually uncheck that option whether I think of it, but would prefer not to have to do that.) PMs from warnings really add up. [Looks like Borek and RB have already brought up this issue.]

Doc Al said:
Is there any way to turn off the default option that sends a copy of every warning/infraction sent to your sent PM folder? (I've started to manually uncheck that option whether I think of it, but would prefer not to have to do that.) PMs from warnings really add up. [Looks like Borek and RB have already brought up this issue.]

There isn't an obvious way, but I can shoot an email to the devs.

Doc Al said:
Is there any way to turn off the default option that sends a copy of every warning/infraction sent to your sent PM folder? (I've started to manually uncheck that option whether I think of it, but would prefer not to have to do that.)

Hey, I didn't know we had the option to do it manually! I'll have to try to remember to do that. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Hey, I didn't know we had the option to do it manually! I'll have to try to remember to do that. Thanks.

In that case I can make the default unchecked

Greg Bernhardt said:
In that case I can make the default unchecked
That would be great.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I am asking for everyone support in wiping the database clean of VMs and PMs. I can clear everything in a few SQL queries, nothing needed on your part. We're near 300k over 10 years and most are inactive members. It would be nice to reclaim that space. Before you ask, no I'm not going to take the time to write a conditional to detect activeness. I'd give proper notice to members and give them roughly a week to download their PMs they want to keep.

Sort of unrelated, in the next few days I'll be clear the 3gigs of old latex images. After that, there really is no going back to the old plugin :) It will help reclaim a ton of backup space.
We had under 300K members yesterday, but about 24 hrs later, we have 300,300 members. Of course, most are inactive.

Greg Bernhardt said:
ok done! easiest thing I did all day! :D
Thanks! I had to remember to uncheck the box. It's nice not to have to do that step.

Greg Bernhardt said:
ok done! easiest thing I did all day! :D
That is a huge timesaver since you had to scroll down to get to that box.

berkeman said:
Hey, I didn't know we had the option to do it manually!
So, what, you've been waiting till you were married? I've known about the manual option since I was like 14!

:smile:

*Wipes coffee from screen*

Redbelly98 said:
So, what, you've been waiting till you were married? I've known about the manual option since I was like 14!

Ahahahaha!

Somewhat relevant to cleaning up the site. I've been getting requests to remove accounts.

For example,
mmatras said:
Hello,

I would like to delete my account. Could you gave me some info how I can do this? Or if you could do this I would be thankful.
My login email is: mmatras @ gmail . com

Best Regards
Daniel Matras
this is one of several