Wiring Generator: Connect 3 Phase Wild AC

In summary, the individual's two wind turbines must be connected in parallel only if they are perfectly synchronized, otherwise it can cause damage. However, they can each have their own rectifiers and be connected to a charge controller for a battery system. It is recommended to get a second charge controller if the first one cannot handle the total output of both turbines. Detailed information about the system, such as make/model numbers and wiring diagrams, would be helpful in providing more specific advice. Additionally, there are online forums with experienced individuals who can provide valuable insights and guidance.
Isimanica
I have two wind turbines that I am trying to wire up for power generation. They are three phase wild ac. I have a charge controller setup with dump resistor but I want to know if I can take the wires and connect each of the three wires to their counter part from the other generator and then through a rectifier that is built into my charge controller setup?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Three phase generators can be connected in parallel only when they are "in phase" and can be expected to remain so. If one's phase tries to drift then maximum current tries to flow and that can mean smoke and fire! Accordingly, your two wind turbine three phase generators will probably need their power output rectified separately, and then summed together as DC.

You have not given enough detailed information about your system to expect usable advice. Can you please provide make/model numbers of both the generators and the charge controller? Can you show your proposed wiring diagram? Is there any battery storage in your planned system? All the technical specifications of each element in the system would be useful. What does "three phase wild ac" mean? What is a "dump resistor"?

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

That won't work unless both turbines ran at exactly the same speed and were just alike. They will just short each other out.

You can put rectifiers on each turbine before the charge controller and feed them both into it but the turbines will still tend to 'fight' each other electrically as it's unlikely they will both run at the exact same speed even if they were side by side.

The proper way to do it is by getting a second charge controller. They will both work at the same time connected up to a battery system. Also the second controller might not need to have the dump function if the first one can handle the total possible output from both turbines. You'll have to check your controller manual for info on that.

There are a number of wind turbine forum groups on the net (a couple of very good ones are on Yahoo) that can give you all the information you could want for setting up your system and it will be coming from people that have already done it and learned all the pitfalls.

Related to Wiring Generator: Connect 3 Phase Wild AC

1. What is a 3-phase wild AC generator?

A 3-phase wild AC generator is a type of electrical generator that produces alternating current (AC) in three separate phases. The term "wild" refers to the fact that the AC voltage produced by the generator is not regulated or controlled, and can vary significantly in magnitude and frequency.

2. How do I connect a 3-phase wild AC generator?

The specific method of connecting a 3-phase wild AC generator will depend on the type and model of the generator, as well as the specific electrical system it is being connected to. Generally, the generator will have three output terminals that correspond to the three phases of the AC current, and these will need to be connected to the corresponding inputs in the electrical system.

3. What are the benefits of using a 3-phase wild AC generator?

One of the main benefits of using a 3-phase wild AC generator is that it can produce a high power output, making it suitable for large industrial or commercial applications. Additionally, the three phases of AC current can be more efficient for powering certain types of equipment compared to single-phase AC generators.

4. How do I determine the correct wiring size for a 3-phase wild AC generator?

The correct wiring size for a 3-phase wild AC generator will depend on the power output of the generator and the length of the wiring. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions or an electrician to ensure that the wiring is sized correctly to handle the load and prevent any potential safety hazards.

5. Can a 3-phase wild AC generator be used with single-phase equipment?

Yes, a 3-phase wild AC generator can be used with single-phase equipment. However, it is important to properly convert the three phases of AC current into a single phase before connecting it to the equipment. This can be done using a phase converter or a special wiring setup.