Word problem(finding dimensions)

• MHB
  • Thread starter pita0001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the children at Tiny Tots Day Care planted a rectangular vegetable garden with a perimeter of 210m. The length is 3/4 the width and after setting up and solving an equation, the dimensions of the garden are 60m by 45m.
pita0001
The Children at Tiny Tots Day Care plant a rectangular vegetable garden with a perimeter of 210m. The length is 3/4 the width, Find the dimensions of the garden.

I have no idea how to set up an equation. Any help is appreciated.

Would it be like 210=2(3/4+x)?

or 210=2(x-.25)?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are close. Let's let $W$ be the width and $L$ be the length, and so the perimeter is:

\(\displaystyle 210=2(L+W)\)

Now, if the length is 3/4 the width, how can we rewrite $L$ in terms of $W$?

I don't know:confused::confused:

210=2(L-3/4)

or 210=2(L*3/4)?

The statement "The length is 3/4 the width" translates into an equation as follows:

\(\displaystyle L=\frac{3}{4}W\)

So, substituting that into the first equation, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 210=2\left(\frac{3}{4}W+W \right)\)

So, now you want to solve this equation for $W$, and then use the relationship above between $L$ and $W$ to obtain the value of $L$. What do you find?

I get 210=1.5w+2w
so W=60?
and length 45

pita0001 said:
I get 210=1.5w+2w
so W=60?

Yes that's correct, and so if $L$ is 3/4 of that value, what is the length?

Length=45

thanks!:)

Related to Word problem(finding dimensions)

1. What is a word problem?

A word problem is a mathematical problem that is presented as a written or spoken statement, rather than a numerical equation. It requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to translate the words into a numerical equation and find a solution.

2. How do I approach a word problem?

To approach a word problem, it is important to read the problem carefully and identify the key information. Then, determine what type of problem it is (e.g. addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) and create a numerical equation using the given information. Finally, solve the equation and check your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. How do I find the dimensions of a shape in a word problem?

To find the dimensions of a shape in a word problem, you need to identify what information is given about the shape (e.g. length, width, height) and use that information to create a mathematical equation. You may also need to use algebraic equations to solve for missing dimensions.

4. What are some strategies for solving word problems?

Some strategies for solving word problems include creating a visual representation of the problem, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and using real-life examples to better understand the problem. It is also helpful to check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Why are word problems important in math?

Word problems are important in math because they require critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also help students apply mathematical concepts to real-life situations, making the learning more meaningful and applicable. Word problems also help develop analytical skills and improve mathematical reasoning abilities.