Wording of a Trigonometry Problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a tree standing on an inclined slope and the angle of elevation of the sun. The person is confused about the wording of the problem and their interpretation of it, but eventually realizes that the angle of elevation should always be measured from the horizontal plane. They also discuss the errors in their analysis and the logic behind measuring elevation with respect to the horizon rather than local topographic features.
Bardagath
Hi,

This is a problem that has been very confusing for me and I feel it could be because I am misinterpreting the wording:

A tree standing (vertically) on a slope inclined at an angle of 11° to the horizontal casts a shadow of length 15m up the slope. If the angle of elevation of the sun is 72.5°, how high is the tree?

From what I interpret from this, I imagine a horizontal line connected to another line (which is inclined at 11°). I make a vertical line perpendicular to the horizontal line which passes through the incline and this represents a tree. I then draw another line passing through the vertical line which connects at an angle of 72.5° (Angle A) to the incline. The line AB is 15 units in length and is labeled as side c of our triangle, which is opposite angle C.

I consider the "tree" and the horizontal perpendicular at 90° to each other. Therefore I reason that 90°-11°=79° which is correct when deducing this from a geometric drawing. I use this for determining Angle B of our subject triangle and subtracting Angles A and B from 180, determine angle C. We now calculate the length of the "tree" (line AB) using the sine rule.

Is my interpretation of the wording of this problem correct or am I constructing the wrong triangle? My answer for the side A of the triangle, the "tree", is 29.98 but according to my study guide the side A is 49.56. What are the errors in my analysis?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The error is that the angle A is not 72.5°. 72.5° is the angle between the line AC and the horizontal. The angle between AC and the incline is 72.5° + 11°.

Thanks hamster143,

So the problem is that I misinterpreted the wording of the problem. Should angles of elevation always be measured from a horizontal? Why would you not measure the angle of elevation to the sun from the incline?

The key word here is "angle of elevation"? ( Defined as always measured from a horizontal? )

Precisely. Angle of elevation is by definition always measured from the horizontal plane. Besides, it would be illogical to measure elevation of the Sun or any other celestial object with respect to local topographic features rather than the horizon.

Related to Wording of a Trigonometry Problem

1. What is the best way to word a trigonometry problem?

The best way to word a trigonometry problem is to clearly state what is being asked for and provide all necessary information, such as given angles and sides. Use precise and concise language to avoid confusion.

2. How can I make a trigonometry problem more challenging?

To make a trigonometry problem more challenging, you can include multiple steps or require the use of more advanced trigonometric concepts, such as inverse trigonometric functions or trigonometric identities. You can also vary the type of problem, such as using real-life scenarios or incorporating other mathematical concepts.

3. What is the importance of wording in a trigonometry problem?

The wording of a trigonometry problem is crucial because it determines the level of understanding and clarity for the students. Poorly worded problems can lead to confusion and incorrect answers. Clear and concise wording can help students focus on the mathematical concepts being tested.

4. How can I ensure my wording is clear and understandable?

To ensure your wording is clear and understandable, you can have someone else read the problem and provide feedback. You can also use simple and precise language, avoid unnecessary information or distractions, and provide diagrams or visuals to aid in understanding.

5. How can I motivate students to solve trigonometry problems with word problems?

One way to motivate students to solve trigonometry problems with word problems is to use real-life scenarios that are relevant and interesting to them. You can also incorporate group work or competition to make the problems more engaging. Providing positive reinforcement and encouraging critical thinking can also motivate students to solve trigonometry problems with word problems.