Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #3,396
Wordle 955 4/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜🟦
🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟦🟧🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,397
Wordle 955 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,398
Wordle 956 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,399
Wordle 956 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,400
Wordle 956 5/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,401
Wordle 956 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
🟨🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,402
Wordle 956 3/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟦🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,403
Wordle 956 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,404
Been a little busy lately....

Wordle 956 5/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,405
Wordle 957 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,406
Wordle 957 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,407
Wordle 957 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

This is the first time I've noticed that Wordlebot, given only 2 choices, incorrectly chose a word which had been the solution to a previous game.

• #3,408
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 957 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

This is the first time I've noticed that Wordlebot, given only 2 choices, incorrectly chose a word which had been the solution to a previous game.
I have consciously avoided memorising or writing down the solutions to previous puzzles. I prefer going in ”blind” and seeing each puzzzle as independent.

• #3,409
Wordle 957 5/6*

🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,410
Wordle 957 2/6

⬜🟧🟦⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Orodruin said:
I have consciously avoided memorising or writing down the solutions to previous puzzles. I prefer going in ”blind” and seeing each puzzzle as independent.
A while back we had this exchange when I was a proponent of hard mode. It convinced me to abandon it because what you wrote made eminent sense.
kuruman said:
Yes, that would narrow things down. However, I have decided to set the appropriate switch to "hard" mode which forces the use of any revealed hints in subsequent guesses. My decision was based mostly on philosophical reasons. You might think I'm silly, but if one views entering a word as a working hypothesis of what the target word could be, then that hypothesis better fit the facts that are already known. It goes against my grain to propose a hypothesis that I know a priori as incorrect. The Edisonian approach is viable in Wordle because there is a limited amount of solutions. I am trying to see how far the scientific approach can take me.

Orodruin said:
Ah, but the aim is not to guess the correct word immediately but to gain information. As such it is not necessarily about making the guess you think may be correct but the guess that you think will give you the most information.
So, in response to your post #3,408, I say "Ah, but since the puzzles use words only once, you are throwing away information if you view each puzzle as independent."

Today's solution matched my seed quite well leaving 4 choices. Removing previously used words left me with 2 possibilities. I had a priori probabilities of 50% in 2 tries and 100% in 3 tries. I chose the more commonly used word and got the answer in 2 tries.

If I didn't ignore the previously used words and considered all 4, my second try would be a "throwaway" word with unique letters picked from 3 of the 4 possibilities. That would have resulted in a priori probabilities of 0% in 2 tries and 100% in 3 tries.

Likes OmCheeto
  • #3,411
Wordle 957 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Orodruin said:
That is also my approach. It increases the challenge, which I find appealing. Also, I did not play from the start, there are hundreds of games I never saw. So I could not compile a list of "taken" words. I also do not have the list of "possible" words (I did have it for a time, when the java script was easily found online, but I deleted that file from my machine a long time ago).

• #3,413
Wordle 958 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I did not think that would be the actual solution… πŸ˜›

• #3,414
Wordle 958 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,415
Wordle 958 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,416
Wordle 958 3/6

⬜🟧⬜🟦🟦
⬜🟧🟧🟦🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,417
Wordle 958 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,418
That was close ...

Wordle 959 6/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

... and a good example for a German proverb: I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

• #3,419
Wordle 959 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,420
Wordle 959 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,421
fresh_42 said:
German proverb: I couldn't see the forest for the trees.
I think that one is pretty language independent …

I know it exists in Swedish, English, Spanish, German, …

• #3,422
Wordle 959 4/6*

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,423
Wordle 959 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I wouldn't call that a word.

Likes Mister T and fresh_42
  • #3,424
One can't say I have a run ...
Wordle 960 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

... but it was enough to set a new maximum.

• #3,425
Wordle 960 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,426
Wordle 960 2/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• Wow
  • Love