Worship, Reference Points & Time: A Story of an Old Lady

In summary, the ancient Romans named the days of the week after the seven celestial bodies known at the time, starting with the Sun and ending with Cronus. Saturday is then Saturn's day, and the last day of the week. The seven days were named after the seven celestial bodies known at the time, starting with the Sun and ending with Cronus.
william7580
Last Tuesday ,I came across an old lady[looking a bit disorientated] in the street who asked me "Is today a Sunday ,I need to go to church?"
I said to her "Its a Tuesday" This set me thinking about "phases of the moon","364.25 days for Earth to orbit Sun", 52 weeks made up of 7 days etc etc. and to the question about a reference point in time ,before starting the calendar , when humans decided "We will call today a Saturday[ worship on the Sabbath] ,next day Sunday[worship of the Sun god]"

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think the names given to the days of the week are just assigned by us humans and really has no physical significance, but I could be wrong.

Sunday used to be the first day of each of the four quarters of the lunar month in rarely used ancient Greek tradition, who otherwise used to divide months into three decades, which is more accurate.
The seven days were named after the seven celestial bodies known at the time, starting with the Sun and ending with Cronus. The division and naming scheme was adopted by Romans at some time in history, with names of the Greek gods used for planets changed to their Roman equivalents. Saturday is then Saturn's day(Roman Saturn=Greek Cronus), and the last day of the week.
One of the reasons for entrenchment of the seven day week division is the influence of Jewish numerological tradition via Christianity.
In the English language, four of the days of the week got their names changed to those of Germanic pantheon.

In the ancient Romulan (as in Romulus', not from Star Trek, mind you) calendar the time of the year was counted from the first lunar phase after winter cold abated enough to allow working the fields.

Thus we could say that Sunday is the first day after the first new Moon in Spring, and every seventh day thereafter - but such explanation would be anachronistic. By the time of the seven day week adoption, the Roman calendar was already divorced from lunar observations and agrarian tradition, and which particular diurnal cycles of the year ended up as particularly named days is best though of as a product of chance and arbitrary decisions of calendar codifiers.

Last edited:
Likes elusiveshame and Nugatory

Related to Worship, Reference Points & Time: A Story of an Old Lady

1. What is the main focus of "Worship, Reference Points & Time: A Story of an Old Lady"?

The main focus of this story is the concept of worship and how it relates to our perception of time and reference points in our lives.

2. How does the old lady's story illustrate the theme of worship?

The old lady's story serves as a metaphor for how we worship certain things or beliefs in our lives, and how these acts of worship shape our perception of time and reality.

3. What are some examples of reference points in our lives?

Reference points can include milestones such as birthdays, anniversaries, or major life events. They can also be everyday occurrences or habits that we use to mark the passing of time, such as daily routines or seasonal changes.

4. How does worship play a role in our understanding of time?

Worship can influence our perception of time by creating a sense of significance and purpose in our lives. It can also serve as a way to mark the passing of time and create reference points for ourselves.

5. What is the significance of the old lady's final act of worship?

The old lady's final act of worship, where she returns to the same spot every day to pray, highlights the power of habit and how it can shape our understanding of time and our relationship with the divine. It also raises questions about the role of faith and ritual in our lives.