X^6 - y^6 As Difference of Squares

In summary, to factor x^6 - y^6 as a difference of squares, you can first use the difference of cubes to get (x^3 - y^3)(x^3 + y^3). Then, you can apply the difference of squares to the first factor and use the sum/difference of cubes on the second factor. This will result in (x^2-y^2)(x^4+x^2y^2+y^4). To further factor the second factor, you can use the difference of squares again and then use the sum/difference of cubes to get the final factored form of (x^2+xy+y^2)(x^2-xy+y^2).
mathdad
Factor x^6 - y^6 as a difference of squares.

Solution:

(x^3 - y^3)(x^3 + y^3)

The problems states to use the difference of squares.

I can apply the difference of cubes to the left factor and the sum of cubes to the right factor but how do I continue using the difference of squares?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Once you've done that' you've applied the difference of squares...to continue factoring further, as you noted, you need to use the sum/difference of cubes. Now, if you begin with the difference of cubes, you'd have:

\(\displaystyle x^6-y^6=(x^2-y^2)(x^4+x^2y^2+y^4)\)

Now to continue, you would use the difference of squares on the first factor. To factor the second factor, we can try:

\(\displaystyle x^4+x^2y^2+y^4=(x^2+axy+y^2)(x^2+bxy+y^2)=x^4+(a+b)x^3y+(ab+2)x^2y^2+(a+b)axy^3+y^4\)

Equating coefficients, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle a+b=0\implies a=-b\)

\(\displaystyle ab+2=1\implies ab=-1\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle (a,b)=(\pm1,\mp1)\)

And we may write:

\(\displaystyle x^4+x^2y^2+y^4=(x^2+xy+y^2)(x^2-xy+y^2)\)

This is what we would find by using the difference of squares first, and then applying the sum/difference of cubes, so that's the simpler route to take. :D

MarkFL said:
Once you've done that' you've applied the difference of squares...to continue factoring further, as you noted, you need to use the sum/difference of cubes. Now, if you begin with the difference of cubes, you'd have:

\(\displaystyle x^6-y^6=(x^2-y^2)(x^4+x^2y^2+y^4)\)

Now to continue, you would use the difference of squares on the first factor. To factor the second factor, we can try:

\(\displaystyle x^4+x^2y^2+y^4=(x^2+axy+y^2)(x^2+bxy+y^2)=x^4+(a+b)x^3y+(ab+2)x^2y^2+(a+b)axy^3+y^4\)

Equating coefficients, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle a+b=0\implies a=-b\)

\(\displaystyle ab+2=1\implies ab=-1\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle (a,b)=(\pm1,\mp1)\)

And we may write:

\(\displaystyle x^4+x^2y^2+y^4=(x^2+xy+y^2)(x^2-xy+y^2)\)

This is what we would find by using the difference of squares first, and then applying the sum/difference of cubes, so that's the simpler route to take. :D

I can use u and v in terms of (x^4+x^2y^2+y^4) just like I did in the other post, right?

RTCNTC said:
I can use u and v in terms of (x^4+x^2y^2+y^4) just like I did in the other post, right?

You'd wind up with radicals if you do that. :D

Good information.

FAQ: X^6 - y^6 As Difference of Squares

1. What is the formula for X^6 - y^6 as difference of squares?

The formula for X^6 - y^6 as difference of squares is (X^3 + y^3)(X^3 - y^3).

2. How do you factor X^6 - y^6 as difference of squares?

To factor X^6 - y^6 as difference of squares, first identify the two perfect squares that make up the equation. In this case, it is X^6 and y^6. Then, use the formula (X^3 + y^3)(X^3 - y^3) to factor the equation.

3. What is the difference between X^6 - y^6 and X^6 + y^6?

The main difference between X^6 - y^6 and X^6 + y^6 is the sign between the two terms. In X^6 - y^6, the sign is a minus (-) whereas in X^6 + y^6, the sign is a plus (+). This difference makes X^6 - y^6 a difference of squares and X^6 + y^6 a sum of squares.

4. Can X^6 - y^6 be factored further?

No, X^6 - y^6 cannot be factored any further. It is already in its simplest form as the product of two binomials.

5. How is X^6 - y^6 used in mathematics and science?

X^6 - y^6 is commonly used in algebra and calculus to simplify and solve equations. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to motion, energy, and force.