Determining a vehicle's translational acceleration from wheel torque

In summary, to determine a vehicle's translational acceleration you first need to know its torque, which can be found by multiplying torque by the angular velocity of the wheel. Next, you need to use a formula to determine the tangential force at the wheel/road interface. This force is the same magnitude as the friction force, provided the wheels are not slipping.
TB123

Homework Statement

I am trying to figure out how to determine a vehicle's translational acceleration given a torque at the wheels so that I can determine what effect wheel diameter and mass will have on the ultimate translational acceleration.

Homework Equations

F = Ma

I*alpha = Torque

I = .5mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Torque = I*alpha = .5*m*a*r^3

a = (Torque*2)/(m*a*r^3)

I think I know how to find the translational acceleration of a rolling wheel, but how can I relate this to the total acceleration of a vehicle with a mass?

Also, there are 4 wheels (only 2 are supplied with a torque). Do I need to think about this as well?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need to consider there being four wheels, if the wheels do not slip or slide then the magnitude of the velocity at the circumference of the wheel is the same as the velocity of the car.

How can I incorporate the mass of the vehicle in the equation?

The car's forward acceleration is due to the force of friction between the driving wheels and the road surface. The wheel pushes back on the road, the road pushes forward on the wheel where they meet. For the car, a = F/M.

Use your torque value to determine the tangential force at the wheel/road interface. This will be the same magnitude as the friction force (provided the wheels are not slipping). What's a formula for torque given the applied tangential force and the radius of the moment arm?

Ok, so just divide torque by the radius to get the force and then apply f=ma. That's easy enough.

TB123 said:
Also, there are 4 wheels (only 2 are supplied with a torque). Do I need to think about this as well?
This problem appears to be ignoring any angular inertia effects due to the wheels, since it doesn't include any information about the angular inertia of the wheels.

I see you already figured this out, but I'm unable to delete this message.

Related to Determining a vehicle's translational acceleration from wheel torque

What is translational acceleration?

Translational acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time in a straight line, measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is translational acceleration related to wheel torque?

Translational acceleration is directly proportional to wheel torque, meaning that an increase in wheel torque will result in a greater translational acceleration and vice versa.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining a vehicle's translational acceleration from wheel torque?

Factors such as tire pressure, surface friction, and air resistance can affect the accuracy of determining a vehicle's translational acceleration from wheel torque. Additionally, any external forces acting on the vehicle, such as wind or inclines, can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.

What equipment is needed to determine a vehicle's translational acceleration from wheel torque?

To accurately determine a vehicle's translational acceleration from wheel torque, you will need a torque sensor, an accelerometer, and a data recording device. The torque sensor measures the amount of force applied to the wheels, while the accelerometer measures the vehicle's acceleration.

Can wheel torque be used to determine a vehicle's translational acceleration in all situations?

No, there are certain situations where wheel torque may not accurately reflect a vehicle's translational acceleration. For example, if the wheels are slipping or if the vehicle is experiencing a loss of traction, the calculated translational acceleration may not be accurate.