• Start date
  • Tags
    Dielectric
portace
Homework Statement
idk
Relevant Equations
idk
Hello! I'm studying a Dielectrics subject in my master's degree which is a little distant from my Electronics area. The teacher asked for a report on the following graph.In this case, the class was about rupture in gaseous dielectrics. The teacher is a little scattered and presents the class in a confusing way. But the caption before the graph is:

"From a practical engineering point of view, rod-to-rod gap and ball-to-ball gap are of great importance, as they are used for the measurement of high voltages and for the protection of electrical equipment such as transformers. The rupture characteristics of rod-rod gaps are shown below."
NOTE: Translated from Portuguese.

The professor asked to explain what happens and why there are different values of breakdown voltage when the impulses shown in the graph are added. However, I'm having difficulty interpreting this data and I'm not finding good references for my work (I'm not using the correct words in the search, I think).

Can you help me with references or textbooks? Thank you very much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
portace said:
Can you help me with references
A key term here is Paschen Curves -- Have a look at this Wikipedia article and some of its references for more background.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law

Also, on the different breakdown voltages for short pulses, look into the propagation time for the ionizing particles between the gaps... :smile:

Likes DaveE

1. What is the purpose of a breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph?

A breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph is used to determine the relationship between the breakdown voltage (the minimum voltage required for a material to conduct electricity) and the gap spacing (the distance between two electrodes) of a material. This graph can provide valuable information about the electrical properties of a material and its ability to withstand high voltages.

2. How is the breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph created?

The breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph is created by conducting a series of experiments where the gap spacing is varied while measuring the breakdown voltage of the material. The results are then plotted on a graph, with the gap spacing on the x-axis and the breakdown voltage on the y-axis.

3. What factors can affect the shape of a breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph?

The shape of a breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph can be influenced by various factors, such as the type of material being tested, the purity of the material, the temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. These factors can affect the breakdown voltage and the relationship between the breakdown voltage and the gap spacing.

4. How can the breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph be used in practical applications?

The breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph can be used in various practical applications, such as designing high voltage equipment, determining the insulation properties of materials, and selecting the appropriate materials for specific electrical applications. It can also be used to identify any potential weaknesses or limitations of a material in terms of its ability to withstand high voltages.

5. Are there any limitations to the breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph?

While the breakdown voltage x gap spacing graph can provide valuable information about the electrical properties of a material, it does have some limitations. For instance, it may not accurately represent the behavior of a material under extreme conditions or in complex electrical systems. Additionally, the results of the graph may vary depending on the testing methods and equipment used.