What is the unit value of coulomb constant(k)?

In summary, the coulomb constant, also known as the electric constant or vacuum permittivity, has a fixed value of approximately 8.9875517923 x 10^9 N⋅m^2⋅C^-2. It is measured in units of newton meters squared per coulomb squared (N⋅m^2⋅C^-2) and is important in electrostatics as a proportionality constant between electric charge and electric force. The coulomb constant is related to other fundamental constants, such as the speed of light and the permittivity of free space, through the equation k = 1/(4πε_0c^2), and its value
Hardik Batra
What is the unit value of coulomb constant(k)?

I just want to know the CGS unit value of k.

In my book it is said the CGS unit value of k is 1.

By i don't know how it come.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hardik Batra said:
In my book it is said the CGS unit value of k is 1.
Your book is correct. It is 1 and is dimensionless.

Related to What is the unit value of coulomb constant(k)?

1. What is the value of the coulomb constant?

The coulomb constant, also known as the electric constant or vacuum permittivity, has a value of approximately 8.9875517923 x 10^9 N⋅m^2⋅C^-2.

2. What unit is coulomb constant measured in?

Coulomb constant is measured in units of newton meters squared per coulomb squared (N⋅m^2⋅C^-2).

3. Why is the coulomb constant important?

The coulomb constant is important because it is a fundamental constant in electrostatics, serving as a proportionality constant between electric charge and electric force.

4. How is the coulomb constant related to other fundamental constants?

The coulomb constant is related to other fundamental constants, such as the speed of light and the permittivity of free space, through the equation k = 1/(4πε_0c^2), where ε_0 is the permittivity of free space and c is the speed of light.

5. Can the value of coulomb constant change?

No, the value of the coulomb constant is a fixed constant and does not change. It is considered a fundamental constant of nature.