What Physics Topics Can Be Self-Studied Pre-Calculus?

• Thread starter megatyler30
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of an introduction in a scientific paper is to provide background information, explain the significance of the research, and outline the objectives and hypotheses. It should typically include an overview of the topic, relevant literature, research question or hypothesis, and methodology. The length of the introduction can vary, but it is recommended to keep it concise. Personal opinions or anecdotes should not be included, and citations should be used to support statements and establish credibility.
megatyler30
Hi, I just joined today. My name is Tyler and I'm a Junior in high school. Currently I'm in AP Physics C and next semester I'm starting Physical Chemistry. I enjoy physics although my favorite science is chemistry. I'm most likely going to be going into Chemical Engineering in the future. Nice to meet all of you.

Also it won't let me start a new thread in Physics Learning Materials section so I'll ask here, I want to self study some physics so what can I self-study without having to be done with calculus-based general physics? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tyler, welcome to PF :smile:!

Yes you have discovered we keep the Learning Materials forum under control. But there are other options for you.

In the book forum, you will find reviews of textbooks:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224

If you have specific questions that are homework (or like homework, e.g. questions from the end of a chapter), try the homework forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153

For general or conceptual questions, try the General Physics Forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111

Btw, what is your favorite fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok, thanks for letting me know and for all the info. And favorite fish? In what context? To eat to just in general?

megatyler30 said:
... I want to self study some physics so what can I self-study without having to be done with calculus-based general physics? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to Physics Forums.

My suggestion; try to get a heads-up on calculus. You may be interested in this:

PF partnership with Educator.com

This past semester I completed Calculus 3 (and I'm taking Differential next semester). Thank you though, any other self-study suggestions? And I already signed up for that website.

hi, iam new to this forum, hello to every one here

megatyler30 said:
Oh ok, thanks for letting me know and for all the info. And favorite fish? In what context? To eat to just in general?

It's for a particular pleasant and delightful purpose, which we cannot declare it until you reveal your favorite fish. So, what is it? :biggrin:

Salmon then

Lol :)

welcome & physics-self study

hi tyler,
Welcome to our forum. I see you were treated to our official fish welcome, congratulations :biggrin:

In addition to the references mentioned for physics self study. I would also suggest the Khan Academy free online talks. My link points to their physics section. We also had a thread discussing Khan Academy.
If you haven't reviewed any of those yet, they also cover topics in several other areas, including chemistry.

I've known about Khan Academy for a while but I didn't know they had AP level physics videos, I'll check it out, thank you :) any reading suggestions for better understanding ?

Reading suggestion

There are so many good texts. I found: University Physics by Young and Freedman, to be very useful, in my first three introductory physics classes. :smile: It offers lots of diagrams and they explain concepts in understandable language. It also has many good homework problems to reinforce concepts. Although this text was used for college level courses, I feel it is understandable to high school physics students, especially taking advanced placement.

This text is also one of the those referenced in the first link on post #2 by Lisab. :wink:

As with most texts these days, this one is not cheap. If you have a college or university that you know you will be attending, you may want to look up what text they use in your program of study, for their intro physics courses. You might want to look through it, if you have a chance and see how readable it appears to you (and also see if we referenced it in our book forum link). That way you could have a good reference and one less text to purchase (or rent) your freshman year at college. :approve:

megatyler30 said:
Salmon then

that's what i said... they didn't like it :( , oh well, you'll learn..

It's best to choose a small fish, like a minnow for example. If you get slapped with a salmon, it hurts...

Mark44 said:
It's best to choose a small fish, like a minnow for example. If you get slapped with a salmon, it hurts...

Try megadolon, its very small*.
*well, compared to the milky way for example...

Related to What Physics Topics Can Be Self-Studied Pre-Calculus?

1. What is the purpose of an introduction in a scientific paper?

The purpose of an introduction in a scientific paper is to provide background information on the topic, explain the significance and relevance of the research, and outline the objectives and hypotheses of the study.

2. How should an introduction be structured?

An introduction should typically include a brief overview of the topic, a review of relevant literature, a statement of the research question or hypothesis, and a summary of the methodology used in the study.

3. How long should an introduction be?

The length of an introduction can vary depending on the type of scientific paper and the specific requirements of the journal or publication. However, it is generally recommended to keep the introduction concise and focused, typically around 10-15% of the total length of the paper.

4. Can I include personal opinions or anecdotes in the introduction?

No, the introduction should be written in an objective and scientific tone, and should not include personal opinions or anecdotes. It should be based on factual information and relevant research.

5. Is it necessary to include citations in the introduction?

Yes, it is important to include citations in the introduction to support any statements or claims made. This also helps to establish the credibility of the research and provide context for the study.