Albedo shouldn't change the temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between albedo and temperature of an object. It is explained that albedo determines the amount of light reflected off the surface, which affects the energy absorbed and lost through black-body radiation. While an introductory geophysics book states that a low albedo object will radiate at a higher rate, this is not entirely accurate as albedo is also dependent on wavelength. This means that the commonly held belief that a high albedo object, such as snow, will cause a decrease in temperature may not be true without considering the albedo for expected black body radiation wavelength.
DrDress
I've never understood why changing the albedo of an object will change the temperature of the object.

As I understand it the albedo is a factor that determines the amount of light reflected off the surface. This means that a low albedo will mean that more light-energy is absorbed. Thermal equilibrium is then achieved when absorbed light-energy equals the energy lost through black-body radiation, determining the temperature. However I've read in an introductory geophysics book the black-body radiation is modified by the exact same factor (I think there was even a simple convincing proof), so that a low-albedo object will radiate at a higher rate. I've haven't been able to find any other sources on the matter. In this case the factor will cancel out, yielding the same temperature, albeit at a slower equilibrium time. I've even simulated this on a computer once.

So what's up!? I'm really puzzled by this.

Science news on Phys.org
That's because that fact that you read in this introductory book isn't exactly correct. Albedo is a function of wavelength and is perfectly possible for a surface to have high albedo at visible wavelength (reflecting sun's light) while having low albedo a IR wavelength being efficient IR emitter.

I knew that the factor was wavelength dependent and suspected that it could have some effect. But this means that the typical approach to albedo problem is a little one sided, at least. For example saying that if the Earth is covered in snow (giving an albedo of 0,8-0,9 for visual light) will cause the Earth temperature to drop. This is not necessarily true, until you also supply the albedo for the expected black body radiation wavelength.
Well thanks for the answer.

FAQ: Albedo shouldn't change the temperature

1. Why does albedo affect temperature?

The albedo of a surface or object refers to its ability to reflect light. When a surface has a high albedo, it reflects more light and therefore absorbs less heat. This can result in lower temperatures compared to surfaces with lower albedo that absorb more heat.

2. Can albedo really change the temperature?

Yes, albedo can have a significant impact on temperature. Changes in albedo can alter the amount of solar radiation that is absorbed or reflected, leading to changes in temperature. This is especially true for large-scale changes, such as melting of polar ice caps or deforestation.

3. How does albedo affect global warming?

Albedo plays a role in global warming by influencing the Earth's energy balance. As the Earth's temperature increases due to the greenhouse effect, there is less ice and snow to reflect sunlight, resulting in even more warming. This positive feedback loop is a major contributor to the current rate of global warming.

4. Can we control albedo to mitigate climate change?

Yes, we can control albedo to some extent by making changes to land use and land cover. For example, planting more trees or using lighter-colored materials for buildings and roads can increase albedo and help mitigate the effects of climate change. However, these actions alone cannot solve the issue and must be combined with other efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

5. Why is albedo important for understanding climate change?

Albedo is an important factor in understanding climate change because it is one of the many variables that can affect the Earth's temperature. By studying changes in albedo, scientists can better understand how the Earth's climate is changing and make more accurate predictions about future climate scenarios.