Angular Momentum Projection of a Rigid Body: Formula & Proof

In summary, the formula for the projection of the angular momentum of a rigid body along the rotation axis is L = ω ∫r²δm, where ω is the angular velocity and I is the moment of inertia of the body. The moment of inertia can be calculated by integrating r²δm, where m is the mass and r is the radius from the axis of rotation.
nebbione
Hi everyone! Which is the formula and the proof of the projection of the angular momentum of a rigid body along the rotation axis?

I searched on the web and on my mechanics book but cannot find anything... does somebody know this curiosity ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm not mistaken, you're looking for a general formula for the angular momentum of a rigid body?

Angular momentum (L) is given by:
[itex]\displaystyle L=Iω[/itex]
ω is angular velocity
and the moment of inertia (I) of a rigid body is given by:
[itex]\displaystyle I = \int^{m}_{0}r^{2}\delta m[/itex]
m is the mass of the rigid body, and r is the radius from the axis of rotation

So the angular momentum of a rigid body is:
[itex]\displaystyle L = ω \int^{m}_{0}r^{2}\delta m[/itex]

Thank you very much!

Related to Angular Momentum Projection of a Rigid Body: Formula & Proof

1. What is angular momentum projection of a rigid body?

Angular momentum projection of a rigid body is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of a rigid body around a specific axis. It is the product of the angular velocity and the moment of inertia of the body.

2. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum projection of a rigid body?

The formula for calculating angular momentum projection of a rigid body is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle in the rigid body by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing up all these values.

4. Can you provide a proof for the formula of angular momentum projection of a rigid body?

Yes, the formula for angular momentum projection of a rigid body can be derived using the principles of classical mechanics, specifically the laws of motion and the definition of angular momentum.

5. What are the applications of angular momentum projection of a rigid body?

Angular momentum projection of a rigid body has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of rotational motion, gyroscopic motion, and the design of rotating machinery.

Back