Any Virtual Summer Research/Internships for High-school Graduates?

Maddy467
I wanna spend my summers doing something meaningful before I join.
I don't want to do it for Money or anything - just want to gain some experience and be useful.
I have decent/good Maths, Physics, Chemistry and engineering foundation as well as programming skills and just wanna put them to use.

For some context:
I'm an international student and I'd be joining college this fall.
I do have some plans to create some simulations and models for physics (some nice VSEPR and particle Simulations that evolve over time on their own). But I'll be done with them anyway. I want to gain some real experience, work with people, solve problems, think critically and write things up.

All the research opportunities that I looked up online however have their applications closed. The only thing I could find was EnergyMag - which seems pretty fun and interesting but I do wanna see what else I can give a shot at.

It need not be something crazily popular with an immense amount of crowd dying to going there... I would warmly welcome all kinds of opportunities to grow - big or small!

Is there anything available to do for a high school graduate transitioning to college in the STEM field? (again: a good grasp of high-level physics, engineering, maths and programming... and of course, would love to learn anything necessary). It would be nice if it's some virtual collaboration since I am in India. Also, I'm not looking for an expensive course or something although I wouldn't mind if I have to spend a little from my own pocket.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Wanna" is not a word. It's not even slang. It's baby talk. Using it will not help you reach your goals.

I an unaware of any such programs, but I think you have a bigger problem with summer programs. It's already summer. People running programs already have lists of participants in place.

Likes Astronuc
I am sorry for using such language. I will keep that in mind from now on, thank you!

That is precisely it! Most summer program registration deadlines are over. Is there any other activity that you might recommend? Anything that would help me develop practices crucial for scientific pursuits as well as some decent communication skills (which I know I lack)?

I am currently planning to create some simulations, and YouTube videos and take a few online courses.

What is the value of creating Youtube videos?

Are you comfortable with calculus? If not, learning the BASICS of differential and integral calculus is your highest priority.

You sound comfortable with programming. You could look at basic numerical methods.

How about working through this:
https://www.eftaylor.com/spacetimephysics/

Last edited:
Frabjous said:
How about working through this:

That would be an excellent use of a summer, in my opinion. You won't get any "credit" for it but it could pay off well in future classes.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Frabjous said:
What is the value of creating Youtube videos?
To be honest, a part of me would love to be a science communicator when I grow up.
I know there is a plethora of communicators out there already who are creating amazing explainers and YouTube videos but I just love creating my own!

I learn so much in the process! I love how facts and details emerge from the depths of topics during my research for video content, revealing information I didn't previously know. It helps me be confident with my voice, helps develop some great editing skills and whatnot!
Additionally, I incorporate the use of Manim among other such packages/software which helps me keep my programming muscles working.

Frabjous said:
Are you comfortable with calculus? If not, learning the BASICS of differential and integral calculus is your highest priority.
Yes, I'm quite comfortable with that; a decent amount of multivariable calculus as well.
Frabjous said:
You sound comfortable with programming. You could look at basic numerical methods.
Which is exactly what I would play around with while creating my simulations.
Frabjous said:
How about working through this.
Sure thing! Thank you so much!

gmax137 said:
That would be an excellent use of a summer, in my opinion. You won't get any "credit" for it but it could pay off well in future classes.
I would love to dive into that and I will. But honestly, I've got some great skills already that I've recently come to realise aren't as useful as one would expect them to be unless you have a "certificate" showing you have those skills.

I am an international student. We have rigorous STEM coursework here in India. At least enough to get me through Calc I and II without studying (not to brag about it). However, the absence of AP courses in India makes it challenging to demonstrate my skills to colleges. The same is the case with Physics and Chemistry.

Does that mean all that learning is useless? No! I loved the entire journey and it is super useful to have all this great knowledge!

I'm not complaining about it, it's just how things are. And if this is all I can do, I would do it with all my passion! After all, learning is what I love the most.
Nevertheless, it would just be nice for me to explore more options that give me a concrete way to showcase what I did.

Maddy467 said:
However, the absence of AP courses in India makes it challenging to demonstrate my skills to colleges.

Maddy467 said:
Nevertheless, it would just be nice for me to explore more options that give me a concrete way to showcase what I did.
You are going to Rutgers. You should never need to demonstrate your pre-college skills again.

Frabjous said:
You are going to Rutgers. You should never need to demonstrate your pre-college skills again.
I'm sorry... What do you mean?

Maddy467 said:
I'm sorry... What do you mean?
There is no advantage to “demonstrating” or “showcasing” what you learned before college. You will next be judged on your college performance.

Likes PhDeezNutz and Vanadium 50
Frabjous said:
There is no advantage to “demonstrating” or “showcasing” what you learned before college. You will next be judged on your college performance.
Huh... I guess you're right. It doesn't hurt to try out more things though; but sure! I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Thank you!

Maddy467 said:
Most summer program registration deadlines are over.
Exactly. I don't know how things are in India, but in the US these are taken seriously. You might (or might not) get a day or two of grace, but not weeks or months.

In your shoes, I'd try not to get a jump on physics. I'd try and build up my non-physics knowledge. Take a class on public speaking. Make sure your visa is in order. How do banks work in the US? If I need socks, where do I buy them? Learn to cook. You'll need to know these non-physics things to succeed.

Frabjous said:
They will have an easier time getting research opportunities as a freshman/sophomore if they have previous research experience.

Muu9 said:
They will have an easier time getting research opportunities as a freshman/sophomore if they have previous research experience.
Yeah! That is exactly why I want to seek any opportunity to gain hands-on experience with research and collaboration.

Vanadium 50 said:
Exactly. I don't know how things are in India, but in the US these are taken seriously. You might (or might not) get a day or two of grace, but not weeks or months.
All right, do you have any ideas for something that runs year-round?

Vanadium 50 said:
In your shoes, I'd try not to get a jump on physics. I'd try and build up my non-physics knowledge. Take a class on public speaking. Make sure your visa is in order. How do banks work in the US? If I need socks, where do I buy them? Learn to cook. You'll need to know these non-physics things to succeed.
Good point! I sure would learn those things as well. But it wouldn't take all summer to learn about all that. I've attended several Virtual events briefing us about how things work. I also have an in-person event scheduled for next month, along with my visa interview.

So I would have 2 months of free time for any experience that I can gain. As @Muu9 pointed out, everything (as far as I have come to understand) falls into place like dominos. If you gain some experience to start with, your "college performance" will receive a great boost. I would have an easier time and a much higher chance of finding opportunities with that.

Honestly, I would not try to cram anything academic into 2 months. What is the point? Rutgers said they'd teach you physics. Why go to extremes to have someone else do it instead?

As far as working on other issues - if you can't pay your bills, or have visa problems, or can't buy a pair of socks etc. it will end your Rutgers tenure just as much as flunking out will.

Vanadium 50 said:
Honestly, I would not try to cram anything academic into 2 months. What is the point? Rutgers said they'd teach you physics
Oh no! Not cramming physics. I don't mean to learn anything/everything in advance. All the learning I do is for fun. I just mean I wish to gain some hands-on experience with projects that would further help me with opportunities in the future.

Vanadium 50 said:
As far as working on other issues - if you can't pay your bills, or have visa problems, or can't buy a pair of socks etc. it will end your Rutgers tenure just as much as flunking out will.
There aren't any such issues as of now. Everything is going smoothly as planned as far as "non-physics" things go. So I wouldn't worry about that.

If you have nothing to learn, good for you! You are a lot more prepared than I was before I started school.