Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.
RufusDawes, nothing beats being an Electrical Engineer.

Physics news on Phys.org
True, but you CAN ship over foreign engineers to do the on-site stuff for reasonable time and money. That this doesn't happen in the United States (and other western countries) has more to do with accreditation requirements and other regulations than any fundamental aspect of the work. But it's very much commonplace for countries in the developing world to ship in foreign (usually Western) engineers when they want to build a skysraper or big bridge or dam.

Would it be worth it to ship workers to the U.S? The benefit of utilizing engineers in India is the low cost, and that's a result of the low cost of living in the area. When they're in the U.S., that's no longer the case.

It's definitely possible to outsource aspects of civil engineering overseas, and I hear it is being done today on some projects. These have been low-level work though, such as making CAD drawings.

If you're really concerned about job security in the civil engineering field, you can always fall back to government jobs. In fact, 1/3 of civil engineers are currently employed by municipal, state, or the federal government in the United States, and if these jobs get outsourced, then this country is in trouble.

Accreditation is something that will have to magically disappear in order for outsourcing to heavily impact the civil engineering field. And the only way professional engineering licensure requirements can even be relaxed is through the state government. What politician would want to do something that would hurt the local economy?

Another thing to consider is that there is an overabundance of work in India and China right now. That will keep them busy over there for quite a while. If anything, you may see more American companies taking part in complex projects overseas (with lower level working being outsourced). A company that I used to work for took on a few projects in India (partnered with a local Indian firm).

Serbian.matematika said:
RufusDawes, nothing beats being an Electrical Engineer.

What's so great about EE? I hear it requires a lot of complex analysis, but what are the benefits

Hydrargyrum said:
What's so great about EE? I hear it requires a lot of complex analysis, but what are the benefits
In the past, EE provided you with jobs involving cutting-edge information and communication technologies. Now, the majority of EE work is offshored to India and China. Recently, this has included advanced R&D centers too.

As for the academic benefits, EE boils down to: getting very comfortable with the application of Fourier transforms on signals. The longer version of the above statement? DSP (Digital Signal Processing), Radars, Automatic Control Systems, RF Circuits, Filters, Satellite Communication, Wireless Communication, etc.

Well if that's the case engineers should unionise their asses and demand what they deserve.
Without you guys this country would fall apart. Hell without you guys we wouldn't have undustry. People don't have nearly enough respect for technical people, tradesmen included.

But the won't hesistate to worship and I - banker.

If this is the case engineers need to toughen up.

ok guys I need some help. I am great at math. I am taking pretty much VERY advanced physics classes and math classes right now (in high school, basically higher than AP level) and I am doing fine. I also loved the technical drawing courses at my high school I love math, physics is my favorite subject and I am pretty sure I want to go into engineering. I love learning about how everyday things around us work and engineering seems like exactly what I want to do as a career. The only problem is that sometimes in my physics classes we are told to build something out of other things. I have a hard time thinking of ways I can build something that works. For instance we built a Rube Goldberg machine, the rest of my group thought of most of the ideas, I just couldn't think of anything. This is a key part of being an engineer, and just tell me, does it get better with practice?

When I can't think of things, i look at pictures for ideas

Would playing chess help you think like an engineer?

perfectchaos180 said:
ok guys I need some help. I am great at math. I am taking pretty much VERY advanced physics classes and math classes right now (in high school, basically higher than AP level) and I am doing fine. I also loved the technical drawing courses at my high school I love math, physics is my favorite subject and I am pretty sure I want to go into engineering. I love learning about how everyday things around us work and engineering seems like exactly what I want to do as a career. The only problem is that sometimes in my physics classes we are told to build something out of other things. I have a hard time thinking of ways I can build something that works. For instance we built a Rube Goldberg machine, the rest of my group thought of most of the ideas, I just couldn't think of anything. This is a key part of being an engineer, and just tell me, does it get better with practice?

Actually, much of what engineers build are made up of pieces and subassemblies that have been used before. It would be very unusual to start from scratch whether you design a bridge or a can opener. So, engineers accumulate "similar to" files that show how older models were built and sometimes how competitor's models were built. In addition, there are some standard books that show a lot of clever ideas. Finally, design engineers rely quite a bit on technical sales people to assist in selecting solutions.

From my perspective, the key question would be whether you are stymied because, for example, you don't know how to use bearings (that can be learned) or because you don't understand why bearings are needed (that's a fatal flaw).

Take a self inventory. What kinds of things have you worked with on your own? Have you rebuilt a go-kart. Do you have a Ham radio license? Do you like woodwork? Have you written a LIST program to translate AutoCad drawings into standard layers and colors? Have you built a desktop from components? If you have any experience like this, you probably have the ability to learn the design stuff. If you don't, you should look at some of the more theoretical fields such as Computational Fluid Dynamics or FEA or perhaps electromagnetics.

RufusDawes said:
Well if that's the case engineers should unionise their asses and demand what they deserve.
Without you guys this country would fall apart. Hell without you guys we wouldn't have undustry. People don't have nearly enough respect for technical people, tradesmen included.

But the won't hesistate to worship and I - banker.

If this is the case engineers need to toughen up.

A little background. Though I think Nebuqalia is a little blunt, his basic premises are true for at least the bottom quartile of American engineers and possibly the bottom two quartiles. Engineering, particularly EE, has been cyclical. In the late 70s, an EE named Irwin Feerst tried to unionize EEs and ultimately failed. But, he used to open his organizing speeches with the joke: What do you call a 40 year old engineer? Hey, cabbie!

I don't recommend against entering engineering, but I do caution that there is no longer any job security except the knowledge and skills you carry with you. And, I point out that, probably within the next thirty years, Chinese and Indian engineers will eat our lunch unless we become globally competitive. And, average salaries will fall significantly.

For me personally,

I really just think I might be too old. I'd give it a shot if I were a bit younger, but it would be horrible to work my ass off for four years, as it would be a struggle for me to graduate only to be denied a job because of my age ( 29 years ).

The possibility that I don't have the raw ability to get through the degree which could lead to 2 or 3 years of failing. I think it all just depends on what attitude employers have to late career starters, I don't think it is a terribly positive one in Engineering in particular. If I weren't in my mid 20's I would do it, but I am posting this because I really don't understand how it works out there.

IMHO, in the US, late starters have to sell the employer on why they started late. If you've been working as a draftsman and going to engineering school at nights and weekends, that's a plausible story. But, if you've been surfing the great beaches and finally decided you want to earn money, that's a problem.

TVP45 said:
IMHO, in the US, late starters have to sell the employer on why they started late. If you've been working as a draftsman and going to engineering school at nights and weekends, that's a plausible story. But, if you've been surfing the great beaches and finally decided you want to earn money, that's a problem.

I've always been working but nothing related to Engineering and I went to College, but not for Engineering. I enrolled in Engineering but never started classes because I didn't think I was smart enough but I regret having that attitude now. I am not from the USA I am from Australia. I am 24 at the moment.

Last edited:
RufusDawes said:
I've always been working but nothing related to Engineering and I went to College, but not for Engineering. I enrolled in Engineering but never started classes because I didn't think I was smart enough but I regret having that attitude now. I am not from the USA I am from Australia. I am 24 at the moment.

OK, so when the interviewer asks you why you changed careers, what will you say?

TVP45 said:
OK, so when the interviewer asks you why you changed careers, what will you say?

Hypothetically speaking If I am able to get a BE I don't understand how an employer could rightfully question my motivation if not on superficial grounds. I understand that even for the most gifted of students they are difficult to obtain.

I can't think of a good answer other than to say the truth which is that I am interested in the science behind how machinery operates as I assume completion would demonstrate.

RufusDawes said:
Hypothetically speaking If I am able to get a BE I don't understand how an employer could rightfully question my motivation if not on superficial grounds. I understand that even for the most gifted of students they are difficult to obtain.

I can't think of a good answer other than to say the truth which is that I am interested in the science behind how machinery operates as I assume completion would demonstrate.

So, I don't know Australian law, but in the US, that is a legal question and one you almost certainly will be asked. I suspect that you will need to answer it in a straightforward, somewhat humble manner. Remember that interviewers really are interested in 3 things: Can you do the job? Will you do the job? Will you be trustworthy?

You have asked whether you will be able to overcome being a late starter and I have now popped the question. To be blunt, your answer would not convince me to hire you. Can you tell me why you really, really, really want to be an engineer and why you took a detour on the way to your lifelong dream and how the lessons that taught you will make you the most loyal employee I've ever seen?

Thanks a lot for the honesty it is appreciated.

Basically I just want to learn the mathematics and physics, engineering is very powerful. Or maybe I just like the idea of liking maths and physics, hard to tell sometimes.

Why now ? I don't know... I just mustered a little bit more confidence as I got older and thought why not give it a shot ? Not like I had anyone in school tapping me on the shoulder saying ' how about you do engineering ? ' I didn't really know what it was until the end of school when we learned calculus. It was really something I got introduced to slowly and have taken an interest in gradually.

I don't know kind of tired right now.

Last edited:
What would an employer want to hear ? I know why I want to do EE and pretty much stems down to liking math.

What should I be saying ? I have this problem with all job interviews for anything.

It's a lot like asking someone to marry you. It's all about her and why she's your first choice and how you feel so great just being near her.

So, in the case of an engineering job, at least one of the interviewers will be an engineer; so you don't want even a hint that this is your second choice. Rather, you can tell how you were always interested in math and science and how things work and so on, but went into (whatever you do) because of family presuures, or because your uncle that you like so much did that, or because your friends all did that, or whatever reason you had. BUT, it's not that you thought you weren't smart enough to do engineering or that you didn't think it was a great career but that you just hadn't known any engineers and didn't know how much you would like it until you were already a 3rd year student in (?) and you thought it very important not to be a quitter, so you finished what you'd started. Now that you've given that a decent effort and amount of time, and have suceeded at it (I hope you have), you feel like you can follow your dream and become an engineer. Or, something like that. Be positive, never negative. Don't give the interviewers any reason to reject you.

I'm trying to figure out how an employer would know your age, and that this is a second career choice. It's illegal for them to ask for it at any point during the interview process (at least that's the case in the U.S.). Do you actually look that much older at age 24? How would the interviewer know you changed careers? Your resume doesn't have to list out all the jobs that you've had, just recent relevant experience.

Ok guys, I read some of your replies, and honestly, so far this has resounded in me:

"i'm a student in physics and chemical engineering. if you find everything interesting - go for this mix."

I do, but not everything, I LOVE physics, I mean I love it, I could hate it during test-week in Physics II (calc-based) but I always went back to loving it. Thing is, I don't just want to do physics, I want to make a difference, not even because I "want to be remembered" but because I want to be part of doing something beneficial for the world, if not for the world at least for people.

I like working in groups, actually, a lot, I am really good at it (for anyone who knows about this I am an INTP/J, with a high J percentage) but in college a lot of people just didn't want to work, I always got stuck with the lazy-bums and I ended up having to do a lot of the work (if you haven't figured it out by now I am female).

Is that really how it is in the real world? I am specifically interested in CS, maybe computer engineering and physical models, how hard is it to get in that discipline? I know I want to double major, I really like outerspace, and I know I have to learn as much math as I can, and I only want to do that just so I can understand physics.

Any thoughts?

KennyCivE said:
I'm trying to figure out how an employer would know your age, and that this is a second career choice. It's illegal for them to ask for it at any point during the interview process (at least that's the case in the U.S.). Do you actually look that much older at age 24? How would the interviewer know you changed careers? Your resume doesn't have to list out all the jobs that you've had, just recent relevant experience.

Yes I look a fair bit older and I would be 29 when I graduate. Considering how much my mind has already decayed due to inactivity it would be a challenge to get through the degree. I think at that age it is fair call to question my motivation.

Last edited:
elephantorz said:
Ok guys, I read some of your replies, and honestly, so far this has resounded in me:

"i'm a student in physics and chemical engineering. if you find everything interesting - go for this mix."

I do, but not everything, I LOVE physics, I mean I love it, I could hate it during test-week in Physics II (calc-based) but I always went back to loving it. Thing is, I don't just want to do physics, I want to make a difference, not even because I "want to be remembered" but because I want to be part of doing something beneficial for the world, if not for the world at least for people.

I like working in groups, actually, a lot, I am really good at it (for anyone who knows about this I am an INTP/J, with a high J percentage) but in college a lot of people just didn't want to work, I always got stuck with the lazy-bums and I ended up having to do a lot of the work (if you haven't figured it out by now I am female).

Is that really how it is in the real world? I am specifically interested in CS, maybe computer engineering and physical models, how hard is it to get in that discipline? I know I want to double major, I really like outerspace, and I know I have to learn as much math as I can, and I only want to do that just so I can understand physics.

Any thoughts?

Personally If I had my time over again I would take a double degee (major ?) of science and engingeering. Vanilla discipline, mechanical, electrical or civil.

One of the following.

electrical/computer science.

mechanical/microbiology

civil engineering/geology -- > mining big money $$$.

I'd recommend putting in that hard yards and getting a double major electrical eng./comsci if that is what you are interested while you are young. The reason is that in my country there are many more opportunities for the vanilla contruction or mining related disciplines than there are more tech and computer orientated engineering.

Can't really speak for the USA.

Ahhh I need some help determining what i should do.

right now I'm enrolled in Texas A&M as a civil engineer and if i stay an engineer, i will be transferring to mechanical engineering. In a month I will be done with my first semester. It wasn't particularly hard but I really having doubts about doing this for the rest of my life.

Lets see. I love math. Absolutely love doing it. And I like to take things apart to see how they work. I was looking at salaries for mech engineers and wikipedia said they make about $50000 annually for those with a BA degree. Now that is still a good bit of money (I'm not greedy) but it seems everyone was telling me that they made more than that. Now money isn't everything but it sure is a lot.

My other option that intrigues me is becoming a surgeon. Its very hands on and I still get to learn about how things work. It would just be the human body instead of something mechanical. The bureau of labor statistics pegged surgeons making a mean of ~180,000. This is significantly more money. And the American College of Surgeons says they make 249,700 to $336,000. The only problem is the 13 years I'd spend in training as opposed to 4 as a mech eng.

So what do you all think?

Whoa Oki... whoa.

I'm a Junior at A&M, and I was in your EXACT situation two years ago, a freshman civil engineer intrigued by math and conflicted about what I wanted to do. A few words:

1) Don't feel like you have to make any sort of decision on this right now. It's only your first semester of freshman year! If you were a junior it'd be freak out time, but you're not and you have plenty of time to figure things out.

Actually, I'd reccomend giving engineering at least three semesters to see if it grows on you. The first two semesters are just plain, utter garbage; weed out classes designed to test your will. Real engineering classes start happening in your third semester so once you've had those you'll have a better idea of how you'll want to procede.

2) If you're considering math take Math 220 next semester for a dose of real math.

3) Have you considered Biomedical Engineering? It sounds right up your alley, and I think we have a pretty decent program for it.

Last edited:
RufusDawes said:
Yes I look a fair bit older and I would be 29 when I graduate. Considering how much my mind has already decayed due to inactivity it would be a challenge to get through the degree. I think at that age it is fair call to question my motivation.

Some time back, I had a summer intern who had served 8 years in the Army and then gone to college for a BSME. He had little trouble getting a job, BUT he was good at selling his experience and maturity as positives rather than obstacles to be overcome. You should be able to do this if it's something you really want. And, most schools have support programs to help older students get back into good study habits.

RufusDawes said:
Personally If I had my time over again I would take a double degee (major ?) of science and engingeering. Vanilla discipline, mechanical, electrical or civil.

One of the following.

electrical/computer science.

mechanical/microbiology

civil engineering/geology -- > mining big money $$$.

I'd recommend putting in that hard yards and getting a double major electrical eng./comsci if that is what you are interested while you are young. The reason is that in my country there are many more opportunities for the vanilla contruction or mining related disciplines than there are more tech and computer orientated engineering.

Can't really speak for the USA.

I don't really like EE, so CE seems very plausible, however, they have a major here called Engineering Physics (I'm in CO, USA), and also CS, so that seems to be up my alley.

I don't really care about the money so much, of course I want a stable job, I just want to be happy with what I choose. I am still really interested in physical models since I seem to be good at systems.

SOS i need help here people.
am doing heavy equipments repairs (technician level) i really like learning about how things work,and i have fallen in love with physics and maths, its going to take me three years to only get an advanced certificate, i trying to encourage myself by saying even the smallest building started with the laying of the first stones.

i want to with car designing firms,aerospace,staff like that you know.i want to make better engines with maximum with work efficiency becuase that's what am all about making things btter.
my question is am i going the right way?
is there anywhere in africa where there offering a degree course in this same field?

Last edited:
elephantorz said:
I don't really like EE, so CE seems very plausible, however, they have a major here called Engineering Physics (I'm in CO, USA), and also CS, so that seems to be up my alley.

I don't really care about the money so much, of course I want a stable job, I just want to be happy with what I choose. I am still really interested in physical models since I seem to be good at systems.

When you say a stable job and to be happy what do you mean ? I could find a stable job at the pub making pizzas and I would be happy, I enjoy making pizzas. However, that is not going to provide the opportunity to do a lot of things including buying a house. So I will need to look for something arguably less fun due to stress that pays a lot more money.

RufusDawes said:
When you say a stable job and to be happy what do you mean ? I could find a stable job at the pub making pizzas and I would be happy, I enjoy making pizzas. However, that is not going to provide the opportunity to do a lot of things including buying a house. So I will need to look for something arguably less fun due to stress that pays a lot more money.

I wouldn't be happy making pizzas.

If you can make pizzas and be happy then more power to ya, although by what you said up there you seem to imply you wouldn't be because you wouldn't be able to buy a house.

I meant, however, that I want to be happy with what I do, I need a constant set of challenges for my mind, otherwise I become depressed and downright unhappy, I am fully aware not a lot of people are like this, but I am, and therefore I need to use my mind or I will go crazy.

Or just be unhappy, or both.

Of course money is important, but like I said, it's important enough but it is also not my uber top priority, I'm going to shoot for two for one, meaning stable enough job monetarily wise that I will be able to live comfortably but also something I like to do most of the time, not always, that's impossible.

am going the right way

thanks a lot man but there is another problem, i was just from writing my engineering math exams i didnt do very well, i would love to wake up in da nite to study but i enjoy it more when i study before going to sleep. what should i do to improve my grades? any study plan that you can suggest?

Can any electrical engineering students give me an idea of what course I should take here?

I can choose between Electric Circuits 1 and Microelectronic Devices.
Which should I choose first? I satisfy all the prereqs but I don't know which one to choose. Honestly, I would probably be more interested in microelectronic devices because it seems to be related more to physics rather than just messing around with circuits, but if someone with some experience can give me some advice.
Here are the descriptions
340 Electronic Circuits I. I, II, SS; 3 cr (P-I). A first course in modeling, characterization, and application of semiconductor devices and integrated circuits. Development of appropriate models for circuit-level behavior of diodes, bi-polar and field effect transistors, and non-ideal op-amps. Application in analysis and design of linear amplifiers. Frequency domain characterizaion of transistor circuits. P: ECE 230.

335 Microelectronic Devices. I, II; 3 cr (P-E). Characteristics of semiconductors; study of physical mechanisms and circuit modeling of solid state electronic and photonic devices; principles of microelectronic processing and examples of integrated circuits. P: ECE 220 & 230.

340: Electronic Circuits seems like its necesary for other circuit courses dealing with electronics. It introduces you to diodes and transistors, which are some of the most important topics in electronics. Also, the description reads " A first course..." shouldn't This course be a pre req to most other EE courses? In any case, it seems like Electronic Circuits I is the sensible choice.

Hello, What does anyone think about a major in Software engineering with a minor in EE vs a minor in Financial mathematics / finance&stats.

I really don't know what I want to do, so I want to keep as many doors open as possible although I would rather have a job in finance.

I am currently MechEng but don't like it, so I'm looking for an alternative