Calculating Locomotive Force: Tension in 2nd & 3rd Cars

In summary, the tension in the coupling between the second and third cars in a train pulling 15 freight cars with a mass of 37,000 kg each and accelerating at 0.72 m/s^2 is 346,320 N.
chrizzilla

Homework Statement

A locomotive is pulling 15 freight cars, each of which is loaded with roughly the same weight. The mass of each can be taken to be 37,000 kg. If the train is accelerating at 0.72 m/s^2 on a level track, what is the tension in the coupling between the second and third cars? The car nearest the locomotive is counted as the first.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I used F=ma to find that 37,000 kg * 0.72 m/s^2 = 26640 N. I know that this is the force for each traincar, I just don't know what to do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out.

Since we are looking at the tension between the second and third cars, we only have to look at the force of 13 cars. You simply have to multiply the weight of one car by 13 and use the equation F=ma to calculate:

F = (13)(37,000kg)(.72m/s^2)

F= 346,320 N

FAQ: Calculating Locomotive Force: Tension in 2nd & 3rd Cars

1. What is locomotive force?

Locomotive force is the force that is used to move a train. It is generated by the locomotive engine and is responsible for pulling the entire train along the tracks.

2. How is locomotive force calculated?

Locomotive force is calculated by taking into account the weight of the train, the friction between the wheels and the tracks, and the grade of the track (i.e. how steep or flat it is). The formula for calculating locomotive force is: F = m * a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the train, and a is the acceleration.

3. What is the role of tension in the 2nd and 3rd cars?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through the couplers (the connectors between train cars) to keep the train cars together. In the 2nd and 3rd cars, tension helps to distribute the locomotive force generated by the engine evenly, so that the cars can move smoothly along the tracks.

4. How is tension in the 2nd and 3rd cars related to locomotive force?

Tension in the 2nd and 3rd cars is directly related to the locomotive force. The more locomotive force that is generated by the engine, the greater the tension will be in the couplers between the 2nd and 3rd cars. This tension is what allows the cars to move along with the locomotive and maintain a steady speed.

5. What factors can affect the tension in the 2nd and 3rd cars?

The tension in the 2nd and 3rd cars can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the train, the condition of the couplers, and the grade of the track. If the train is too heavy, the tension may be too great and cause strain on the couplers. If the couplers are not properly maintained, they may not be able to handle the tension. And if the track is too steep, the tension may need to be adjusted to prevent the train from derailing.