Christmas Thread: Santa, Reindeer, Elves & Yule Goats

In summary: Add 1 cup sugar a little at a time while beating (egg whites should hold stiff peak).Fold in (gently) 1 cup chocolate bits and 1/2 cup pecan...Sift together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.Add 1 cup sugar a little at a time while beating (egg whites should hold stiff peak).Fold in (gently) 1 cup chocolate bits and 1/2 cup pecan...Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets.Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.Add 3 egg whites in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.
gravenewworld said:
Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?

It just proves how much of a commercial joke Christmas has turned into.

The real question is why do Christians celebrate the solstice, which is the real reason for the season. Christ was NOT born on Christmas day. Most of the traditions of Christmas are pagan in origin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integral said:
The real question is why do Christians celebrate the solstice, which is the real reason for the season.

We know that answer: Competition.

Moridin said:
For the same reasons as all others who celebrate Christmas celebrate Christmas; because it is fun and you can spend time with loved ones.

Furthermore, Christmas is not a Christian holiday, but has pagan roots. Christianity made it up so that the transition would be smoother in the Roman Empire. Notice that the Winter solstice is right around Christmas. If you read the bible carefully, you will also notice that the supposed birth of "Jesus" does not seem to take place in the winter at all.

Right, Christmas really isn't about the birth of CHRIST at all...Christmas is first and foremost about celebrating the birth of Christ.

Yeah Christ supposedly wasn't born on Dec. 25th, but so what? That doesn't change the fact that Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ. Christmas traditions only exist today because Christianity preserved the pagan practices of gift giving and tree decorating. The birth of Christ is associated with the pagan traditions because many of the people who converted to Christianity still held onto some of their old folk traditions. Christians aren't celebrating the solstice, they celebrate the birth of Christ. The traditions that go along with it are pagan, but again this does not change why Christians celebrate Christmas in the first place.So you want to celebrate pagan holidays? Why not celebrate something like Samhain as well?

gravenewworld said:
Why do atheists celebrate Christmas?

It just proves how much of a commercial joke Christmas has turned into.
It was originally a pagan holiday. The early christian priests were losing customers, so they decided to create a holiday at the same time for christians. December 25th has absolutely nothing to do with the time of year that Jesus is believed to have been born, it's all bogus.

It's the holiday season, I enjoy the lights, ornaments and food, I don't have a religious celebration.

Last edited:
Right, Christmas really isn't about the birth of CHRIST at all...

Indeed. In other languages, Christmas does not contain references to "Christ".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

Moridin said:
Indeed. In other languages, Christmas does not contain references to "Christ".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule
Christmas is derived from Olde English from the phrase "Christ's Mass" or "the festival of Christ".

Yule still refers to the birth of a sun god, so either way you look at it--Christmas as the celebration of the birth of Christ, or a pagan holiday, it is still a religious celebration on all accounts.

It was originally a pagan holiday. The early Christian priests were losing customers, so they decided to create a holiday at the same time for Christians. December 25th has absolutely nothing to do with the time of the year that Jesus is believed to have been born, it's all bogus.

It's the holiday season, I enjoy the lights, ornaments and food, I don't have a religious celebration.
I'm not religious at all either, but if you are celebrating Christmas you are celebrating the birth of Christ by the very definition of the word Christmas. Okay so you don't celebrate the birth of Christ, then don't say you celebrate Christmas, say you celebrate the winter solstice through gift giving. Once again, it doesn't matter that Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th, Christmas is still the time of celebrating the birth of Christ. No one knows exactly when Christ was born.

The tradition for the celebration of the winter solstice by Roman pagans is even dumber. All it was a festival of lawlessness for 1 week in which no one would be punished for damaging property or harming another person during the celebration. 1 person from every community was also chosen to represent an enemy of Rome. That person during the entire week was forced to indulge in food and physical pleasures. At the end of the week/festival that innocent person was brutally murdered.So what is dumber?

celebrating the holidays as the birth of Christ or the festival of Roman indulgence and murder?I'll go with the latter.In fact if you want to go even further back to ancient Babylon, Dec. 25th was celebrated for the festival of the Son of Isis. Again, no matter how you look at why you celebrate the holidays, you celebrate it based on religious traditions. Thus, it makes no sense for an atheist to celebrate in a religious tradition.

Last edited:
Why in the world should I not celebrate the solstice, just because some wacky cult decided to adapt the day for their sort of religious celebration? It it the dark days of winter, so I put out lights to chase away the darkness, I bring in evergreens to recognise the regeneration of life in the coming spring. I share food and gifts with family and friends in recognition/celebration of yet another year survived.

What of these traditions is Christian in origin?

We're thinking about celebrating Festivus at my parents' house this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

The holiday includes novel practices such as the "Airing of Grievances", in which each person tells everyone else all the ways they've disappointed him/her over the past year. Also, after the Festivus meal, the "Feats of Strength" are performed, involving wrestling the head of the household to the floor, the holiday only ending if the head of the household is actually pinned.

Can't wait to see Mom put Dad in a headlock. :smile:

Integral said:
Why in the world should I not celebrate the solstice, just because some wacky cult decided to adapt the day for their sort of religious celebration? It it the dark days of winter, so I put out lights to chase away the darkness, I bring in evergreens to recognise the regeneration of life in the coming spring. I share food and gifts with family and friends in recognition/celebration of yet another year survived.

What of these traditions is Christian in origin?

You are missing the point. EVERYTHING ABOUT THE HOLIDAYS IS BASED OF SOME RELIGIOUS TRADITION. It makes no sense for an atheist to celebrate the holidays, because everything originated from some religious practice. Any atheist that has any figure in their house of Santa Claus is a hypocrite.

Lights? Sorry based on a religious tradition

Tree? Sorry based on a religious tradition

Mistletoe? Sorry based on a religious tradition/ "magical powers"

Holly? Sorry based on a religious tradition

gravenewworld said:
It makes no sense for an atheist to celebrate the holidays, because everything originated from some religious practice. Any atheist that has any figure in their house of Santa Claus is a hypocrite.

Atheism just means absences of belief in a god. It doesn't mean an atheist can't find the festivities fun and celebrate them as a purely secular event; who doesn't like lots of decorations, good food, and brightly wrapped presents? Just because the traditions originated from religious celebrations doesn't mean people can't celebrate them without believing in any of the religious associations; they just celebrate them a bit differently.

Please don't spoil an otherwise fun thread by turning this into a religious battle.

Yeah, let's all stay on topic and complain about the shopping. :-p

Moonbear said:
Atheism just means absences of belief in a god. It doesn't mean an atheist can't find the festivities fun and celebrate them as a purely secular event; who doesn't like lots of decorations, good food, and brightly wrapped presents? Just because the traditions originated from religious celebrations doesn't mean people can't celebrate them without believing in any of the religious associations; they just celebrate them a bit differently.

Please don't spoil an otherwise fun thread by turning this into a religious battle.

So people who constantly attack religion (aka Atheists) can choose which religious traditions they attack while others they celebrate? That is hypocrisy in its purest form.

Fine, I won't spoil the thread. I am done now.

gravenewworld said:
So people who constantly attack religion (aka Atheists) can choose which religious traditions they attack while others they celebrate? That is hypocrisy in its purest form.
Who is attacking religion here? Your posts are the only ones attacking anyone's beliefs, and it's not going any further than this.

gravenewworld said:
You are missing the point. EVERYTHING ABOUT THE HOLIDAYS IS BASED OF SOME RELIGIOUS TRADITION. It makes no sense for an atheist to celebrate the holidays, because everything originated from some religious practice. Any atheist that has any figure in their house of Santa Claus is a hypocrite.

Lights? Sorry based on a religious tradition

Tree? Sorry based on a religious tradition

Mistletoe? Sorry based on a religious tradition/ "magical powers"

Holly? Sorry based on a religious tradition

Udder and complete nonsense
These are all pagan concepts adapted by the cults
the solstice is a physical event, no worship is needed to recognize its occurrence

Edit: Perhaps I ought to explain myself further:
While you can find religious justifications for each of those traditions you fail to understand that the traditions PREDATE the religion. Your adaption of pagan rituals is independent of my holding to these traditions. The difference is that I am not lying to myself and everyone else about their significance. I gave you non religious reasons for each if the traditions, the fact that you have found other justification is not my problem.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:

What's so hard about shopping? Gift cards all around, and I did not even miss 30min of PF.

Integral said:
What's so hard about shopping? Gift cards all around, and I did not even miss 30min of PF.

So you give Mrs Integral a gift card for Christmas?

Ivan Seeking said:
I heard a comment that the season of re-gifting will soon be upon us. :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
So you give Mrs Integral a gift card for Christmas?

Oh .~^ I am supposed to ger her something?

Integral said:

A puppy!

Integral said:

Ivan Seeking said:
A puppy!

Do they come in any smaller sizes than what you already have? :biggrin:

gravenewworld said:

Fine, I won't spoil the thread. I am done now.

Athiests could be celebrating holidays because their families do, and they want to spend time with and bond with their families. Ever think of that?

And people like you are the reason I gave up on organized christianity and the reason atheism is sky-rocketing. You can't be a representative of a religion that espouces love and brotherhood and spread hate and prejudice without coming off as a huge hypocrite. Isn't pushing people away from God one of those Instantly-Hell-Worthy sins? Because spreading those kind of attitudes around is exactly what you are doing. I gave up on organized christianity because of people like you, because I felt and still feel I can't be associated with christianity without pushing people away from God. Disorganized religion has nowhere near the same level of discriminiation and out-right contempt for their fellow man. Not to mention greed and hypocrisy.

But this is a christmas thread, so it's time for an attempt at a happy message.

Puppies are yay! Some are very ugly, like Boston Terriers. I seem to be alone in that opinion however so knock yourself out.

Moonbear said:
Do they come in any smaller sizes than what you already have? :biggrin:

Their smallest dog weighs less than what one of our cats eats every day. What they need now is a 90 pounder that will play in the house with the rest.

Years back when my wife and I were operating an ad-hoc ferret rescue, we placed a pair of inseparable females with a family that had a fairly good-sized dog. It was around Christmas, and I know Christmas pet adoptions are discouraged, but their son loved those ferrets, and we knew they would be in good hands. Those girls drove poor Gollum to distraction. The house had cast-iron radiators that they could fit under very easily, and they would taunt him, nip him, and urge him to play, then one would hide under a radiator and bait him while the other would stage commando attacks on his back legs and tail. If he decide to go after the one that was nipping him, she'd head for a radiator, and the other girl would tease him for a while. Poor Gollum! He had had the house to himself for years (except for a rat named Al) only to be saddled with two VERY active little buddies who could out-maneuver him.

In fairness, I should mention that the girls loved him and curled up with him to sleep every night. Bill put up a barrier at the bottom of the stairs to the 2nd story, so if the girls wanted to play in the middle of the night (part of the ferret schedule) Gollum could go upstairs and get some sleep.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
A puppy!

:!)

A gift card sounds real good.

No more puppies, Please. :smile:

Integral said:
:!)

A gift card sounds real good.

No more puppies, Please. :smile:
How about a gift card to a pet shop that cannot be used for food, bedding, toys, etc? Don't you need a nice conure, ferret, or some other critter?

I just made the Hidden Valley Ranch Oyster crackers. I do make one slight change, I mix half the vegetable oil with half extra virgin olive oil.

Oyster crackers?

These guys?

http://www.scottsbt.com/fishids/idcom/phoysta1.gif

Oyster cracker

Last edited by a moderator:
Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer is on tonight! I know the Fruit Bat, Dr foofer and I will be sipping eggnog and watching with my Abominable Snowman live action figure the girls bought me. It's over a foot tall with shaggy white fur. :approve:

http://www.scifi-toyz.com/abominable.jpg

Evo said:
Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer is on tonight! I know the Fruit Bat, Dr foofer and I will be sipping eggnog and watching with my Abominable Snowman live action figure the girls bought me. It's over a foot tall with shaggy white fur. :approve:

Heh, I always loved Rudolf.

Evo said:
I just made the Hidden Valley Ranch Oyster crackers. I do make one slight change, I mix half the vegetable oil with half extra virgin olive oil.
I forgot to mention earlier, that when I visited my sister's family at Thanksgiving, the day before, we had Ninfa's fajitas - with the green tomatillo sauce/dressing. Mmmm, Mmmm!

I thought Evo might appreciate that. :biggrin:

http://www.ninfas.com/default.asp?ID=74

Andre said:
Oyster crackers?

These guys?

http://www.scottsbt.com/fishids/idcom/phoysta1.gif

Oyster cracker

:smile: We always called those oyster crunchers. So ugly they're just fascinating.

These are what I call oyster crackers:
http://www.sbamerica.com/OTC/otc.htm
Horrid, rock-like tasteless things you MUST drown in soup to make edible.

Now I see things labeled oyster crackers that look more like a Ritz cracker or Saltine someone cut into tiny hexagons. They aren't so bland as the originals, and definitely not so hard, so you could actually eat them on their own if you really wanted to.

Moonbear said:
Now I see things labeled oyster crackers that look more like a Ritz cracker or Saltine someone cut into tiny hexagons. They aren't so bland as the originals, and definitely not so hard, so you could actually eat them on their own if you really wanted to.
I used Saltine oyster crackers, very yummy.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21MBE4AS2EL._AA160_.jpg

Astronuc said:
I forgot to mention earlier, that when I visited my sister's family at Thanksgiving, the day before, we had Ninfa's fajitas - with the green Tomatia sauce/dressing. Mmmm, Mmmm!

I thought Evo might appreciate that. :biggrin:

http://www.ninfas.com/default.asp?ID=74
I love their tomatillo guacamole.

Evo said:

That's so COOL! :approve:

WANT!

Ivan Seeking said:
Heh, I always loved Rudolf.

Yet another one of those ancient religious Christmas time traditions. :smile:

Yeah I have always been partial to Rudolf, sorry I am going to miss it.

Back