Coefficient of friction on an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline plane for a block with a mass of 0.310kg moving at a constant velocity. The solution involves using the equations f=ma, fg=mg, and fparallel=mg*sin30 degrees to find the force applied and the net force for the block going up and down the incline. By equating the two forces and solving for the coefficient of kinetic friction, the value of μ=1 was obtained. The angle of the incline in this problem was given as 31 degrees. Overall, the solution appears to be correct, but it is always important to double check calculations to ensure accuracy.
Coco12

Homework Statement

a block with a mass of 0.310kg at a constant velocity , calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction on an incline plane

Homework Equations

f=ma
fg=mg
fparallel= mg* sin30 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the FN which is 2.60 and the f parallel to be 1.52. i found force applied to be 2n as the block moved up the incline and the as the block moved downwards to be 1N which is a 1/2 of that. I understand that you have to calculate net force going up and down the incline then since they will be equal to one another, try to isolate μ.
which will give you something like μ= x tan 30 degree. however how do i find out what the x is?
Is the force applied = to the f parallel
This is what I did:

F1 (block moving up) = 2F2 (moving downward)
fnet (for box going upward): fparallel + F1 + Ff(mu*Fn)
Fnet (for box going downward) : F2- Ff+ Fparallel
Then i made them equal to each other since they have a constant velocity, then i subtracted one from the other to get f parallel (m*g*sin31) = mu* mg Cos31 ,
then by dividing the fparallel by the mu*m g cos31, i got
mu= tan 31 degrees..Am i doing this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
...try to isolate μ. which will give you something like μ= x tan 30 degree. however how do i find out what the x is?
It will be obvious from the way you substituted the expressions for the forces into ƩF=ma. The final expression need not be in that form. Work through the derivation first, see where that leads you.

Note: 30deg is a very nice angle.
sin(30)=1/2
cos(30)=(√3)/2
tan(30)=1/√3
... use the RHS versions without converting to decimal.

Your problem statement does not give the angle of the incline however.

F1 (block moving up) = 2F2 (moving downward)
fnet (for box going upward): fparallel + F1 + Ff(mu*Fn)
Fnet (for box going downward) : F2- Ff+ Fparallel
Then i made them equal to each other since they have a constant velocity, then i subtracted one from the other to get f parallel (m*g*sin31) = mu* mg Cos31 ,
then by dividing the fparallel by the mu*m g cos31, i got
mu= tan 31 degrees..
... where did you get 31deg from?
Apart from that you appear to have answered your own question (above).
In your case it turned out that x=1.

Sorry I forgot to say that the angle given is 31 degrees

... where did you get 31deg from?
Apart from that you appear to have answered your own question (above).
In your case it turned out that x=1.[/QUOTE]

So apart from that did I do it correctly?

Do you have any reason not to be confident about it?
How could you check it?

Thanks I think I got it

Related to Coefficient of friction on an inclined plane

What is the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless quantity that determines the amount of force needed to move an object along the inclined plane.

How is the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane calculated?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which is the force exerted by the surface on the object. It can also be determined by measuring the angle of inclination and using trigonometric functions.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the angle of inclination. It may also be influenced by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and the presence of lubricants.

What is the significance of the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane is important in many applications, such as determining the force needed to move objects up or down ramps, calculating the braking distance of vehicles on sloped roads, and designing machines that require sliding or rolling motion on inclined surfaces.

How can the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane be reduced?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane can be reduced by using lubricants, making the surfaces smoother, or changing the angle of inclination. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction can also help to reduce the amount of force needed to move objects along an inclined plane.