Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.

Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
Van Halen covers Little Feat's Apolitical Blues

I mostly listen to music from Japan, but I must say that Caucasians have something the others can't quite duplicate. (Though the Van Halen brothers had an Asian grandmother.)

These guys are great, thanks again @Hornbein

I love Holly Cole. Her voice just melts my heart every time. She made a lot of covers, here are a few of my favorites:

Original (I want you):

Cover:

Original (Calling you):

Cover:

Original (If I were a bell):

Cover:

Original (Jersey girl):

Cover:

Original (Falling down):

Cover:

Original (The Tennesee Waltz):

Cover:

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
These guys are great, thanks again @Hornbein

That two-guitar intro is SO cool.

Likes pinball1970
jack action said:
I love Holly Cole. Her voice just melts my heart every time. She made a lot of covers, here are a few of my favorites:

Original (I want you):

Cover:

Original (Calling you):

Cover:

Original (If I were a bell):

Cover:

Original (Jersey girl):

Cover:

Original (Falling down):

Cover:

Original (The Tennesee Waltz):

Cover:

My that's a beautiful arrangement. 3K views a year? Tough business, music. Can swing her tushy off too. Can't hate that. It's always a pleasure to welcome such a fine artist into one's musical life.

Tom Waits later became a disciple of Captain Beefheart. I'm not so sure it was an influence beneficial for him. Maybe it unleashed something that had better been kept in confinement.

Trap drummer Anika Niiles covers the Mahavishnu Orchestra's You Know You Know. It made my hair stand on end. That hardly ever happens.

Likes pinball1970
This guy records buskers in Cardiff centre.

pinball1970 said:
This guy records buskers in Cardiff centre.

Anyone who can wear a little black dress like that has won my approval.

I'll see your Wales and raise you Northern Ireland. In the winter yet.

Too bad that Mariel Hemingway is no longer drumming for them.

Likes pinball1970
Orig

Today

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Orig

Today

I have complimented Walter on his Jazz playing before.

How can he do that with only a pick? I see it but I can't believe it. From Romania.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:

Wow she is good. I found this

Likes Hornbein
Hornbein said:
How can he do that with only a pick? I see it but I can't believe it. From Romania.

It's a recording over the video but I don't think it's impossible with a pick.
This girl is amazing btw. Her voice is perfect for Plant.

Kevin Gilbert recorded this solo in one night for a LZ tribute album but somehow it was rejected! An LA radio station got a copy and it became a local hit. Kevin Gilbert had it all and seemed destined for stardom but died young under sordid circumstances you would rather not know about.

Then there's Ofra Haza of Yemen, who also died young.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970
Foxes and Fossils, California Dreaming. For me the high point is the doubled eguitar solo. I hear that a lot from Japan, it appears to be making it to the States. Or maybe it's electronics, I can't tell.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Wow she is good. I found this

Dang, better than the orig.

Amazing. I think the drummer is a 13-year-old Chinese girl who appears in another of their videos packing an extremely authoritative sound.

Those images at 0:17 were in Life magazine. I liked them so much I cut them out and put them on my walls. They might still be in storage somewhere.

I checked out one of those basses in a used goods store in Kashiwa. Some sleazeball had stolen the bridge, which isn't attached. I somehow took another bass home without paying for it. (Maybe the checkout got confused.) The Kashiwa police knocked on my door and drove me back to the place to make restitution.

Ellen A sings too,.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Foxes and Fossils, California Dreaming. For me the high point is the doubled eguitar solo. I hear that a lot from Japan, it appears to be making it to the States. Or maybe it's electronics, I can't tell.

You know what I think of F&F, just great you posted "Carry on" and I have been watching them ever since.
If I would have had girls we would have a band now! Certainly growing up.
My son is an ok guitar player, nothing fiddly though.

Orig. (Superhuman style)

Cover on Guzheng

Here's a translation of the artist's comments.

Let me replay Conny Berghäll's Fingerstyle Divine Comedy. After playing it, I want to publish an article called "About the things I was abused to crack when I played the 6-string guitar with a 21-string guzheng". Cry, family! Some phrases of this song can be said to be anti-human on the guzheng, so the original speed of 190 is really not up, and 186 is really trying. Special thanks to Teacher Xiaoxiao for the detailed scores and tutorials!

Hope you like it! Remember to subscribe to this channel!
Please subscribe to my channel!
music
SONG
【Fingerstyle Guzheng】Revolution —— Touch Porcelain
ARTIST
ink rhyme

This is the original of California Dreaming. I sure didn't know that.

Here's the peculiar story of Eve Of Destruction. It was done in one take as a rough cut. Barry McQuire didn't really know the song. They were going to do it again. This demo leaked to a radio station and was a massive hit. So they released it that way.

Often times the first take is the best. Drummer Dennis Chambers says he never plans anything out.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
This is the original of California Dreaming. I sure didn't know that.

Here's the peculiar story of Eve Of Destruction. It was done in one take as a rough cut. Barry McQuire didn't really know the song. They were going to do it again. This demo leaked to a radio station and was a massive hit. So they released it that way.

Often times the first take is the best. Drummer Dennis Chambers says he never plans anything out.

Ok, so that is a story I did not know. First, thank heavens they gave it back to the Mamas and Papas!
McGuire can be heard left pan at the beginning, they just taped over his vocal.
You are supposed to be able to hear the harmonica solo too under the flute but my ear cannot pick it out (loss of some higher frequencies I think)
Not mentioned is Mamas and Papas backing on first recording can be heard.
"I passed along the way."

Here it is, nice story of the recording.

I never knew this was about Lord of the Rings till fairly recently!?

Only criticism of this is the drums, it Bonham crying out loud! PLAY with power! You cannot tippy tappy the chorus like that.

Likes Hornbein
pinball1970 said:
I never knew this was about Lord of the Rings till fairly recently!?

Only criticism of this is the drums, it Bonham crying out loud! PLAY with power! You cannot tippy tappy the chorus like that.

And you gotta sing "do doot do dodo ya do yeah" over the fadeout.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
The Allman Brothers' Little Martha. Leo Kottke said this was the best guitar piece ever written. I guess he oughta know.

Last edited:
A two-man band. That guy has the Robert Plant-style hyper nature. I believe he's German.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970
The images she sings of appear in my mind's eye. It's like magic.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Walters girl. Not an easy tune for a kid, a lot of the phrases end on the maj 7th.
Be interesting to see what happens as her voice matures.
I love the high five with dad at the end.

Likes pinball1970