Songs that pay homage to deceased artists, no covers.

I thought Bowie just made Ziggy up, then I found out (years ago) it was about Hendrix (played it left hand, Voodoo reference)
After reading the wiki page it has multiple possible references to different artists
Hendrix is probably in there, he died less than two years before the release/writing so I will stick with him.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
A tribute to Elvis. The song is absolutely awful but it is tribute non the less.

We have had a Beethoven reference so I am putting this one in, hopefully @fresh_42 will allow it.
This is Monty Python so you think it will be ridiculous but it is actually nicely put together and a touching if tongue in cheek tribute.
Michael Palin wrote it and the main tune is over Pachelbel canon but lots of other snippets in there.

pinball1970 said:
A tribute to Elvis. The song is absolutely awful but it is tribute non the less.

THIS is a tribute to Elvis ... and a mighty good one!

Likes fresh_42 and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
We have had a Beethoven reference so I am putting this one in, hopefully @fresh_42 will allow it.
Are you kidding? Never ever would I delete a Monty Python post.

My sister used to quote "Are you lonesome tonight" by "Bist Du langsam heut' nacht" so I'm rather tolerant. I had been quite slow on a night when I thought "Amadeus" was about Falco and not about Mozart and thought the song was meant as a tribute for Falco which would have been against the intention of this thread. It took me a while to identify Mozart as the musician who was meant. I like his G-minor symphony and Die Zauberflöte, but that's basically it. No wonder, I thought it was about Falco. I wonder if there is a tribute to him?

• Love
Likes pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
. I wonder if there is a tribute to him
The tributes tend to be about the big hitters. I will have a look though.

jack action said:
THIS is a tribute to Elvis ... and a mighty good one!

I like the track. Drunken Karaoke ladies tend to go for it which is a downside.
I had no idea it was about Elvis, probably never paid attention to the words.

Likes fresh_42
Stevie Nicks lost her uncle and John Lennon died in the same week. This is a tribute to them both.

I thought it was about teenage innocence but the "White wing dove" was Lennon. He stood for peace.

This is as also T.I.L. but better here.

pinball1970 said:
The tributes tend to be about the big hitters. I will have a look though.
I found an explicit tribute (screen on the stage) by Fettes Brot (2017) but they covered a Falco song.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
DaveE said:

Written about Gram Parsons after his death

Never heard that track and only discovered ELH fairly recently. Lovely tribute to her friend.

Still hard to believe we lost Will Machaut, only 77 years old

;) this is the first example I am aware of - written in 1377 to commemorate the death of Guillaume de Machaut