Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_in_the_Street
  • Martha and the Vandellas - Dancing In The Street (1964)

(1965 - Ed Sullivan Show)
  • The Kinks - Dancing In the Street (1965)
  • The Mamas and the Papas - Dancing In The Street (1966)
  • Van Halen - Dancing in the Street (1982)
    ( US Festival 1983 (@42:25) )
  • Davie Bowie and Mick Jagger - Dancing in the Street (1985)

Rock & Motown :?: Maybe Bowie and Jagger can pull it off.But Van Halen?? They maybe can get by as a second/third rate rock band - But forget about Motown

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
"Danke Schoen" Originally composed by Bert Kaempfert as an instrumental

Likes pinball1970
morrobay said:
I didn't know there was a cover for Dick Dales classic: I like them both.It "sounds like the Dick Dale original has more horn. Sax ?
I forgot that too. Also, it was "Wipeout" by the Surfaris that I remembered. Ventures covered it, original better. Ventures' bit hit was "Walk, Don't Run".

DaveE said:
Anything written by Bob Dylan but performed by someone else. Just saying... that guy can write but just can't sing at all. YMMV
I want to respectfully suggest that Dylan's version of Lay lady Lay is actually the best of all the many versions out there. I propose that he could actually sing when he wanted to, but chose mostly to sing in that nasal style. I also like his version of All along the watchtower, but of course there he has Jimmy Hendricks to compete with.

As another example, I happen to think his unmusical singing style is actually perfect for Maggie's Farm, but can imagine enjoying Richie Havens singing it too.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre

. This cover sounds rock&roll or pop but not blues

Like Butterfield's blues version better. Pop is OK, but doesn't have Michael Bloomfield. Think the Monkees learned to play the musical instruments only after they started their band, if I remember right. "East/West" isn't really a blues song, too. It was like one of a kind. Too bad they all did not stay together longer as a band.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Indeed. For this style of blues Paul Butterfield Blues is it. Saw them live at Cuesta Junior college in Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo early 70's of all places. Was there when they arrived: Big city boys coming to this small converted army base with cows roaming around. Edit: Including Paul Butterfield

Last edited:
I may be the only one who feels this, but after listening again to All along the watch tower by Hendricks and Dylan, the Hendricks version was a macho rock version, while the Dylan version was moving and insightful. It was if Jimmie didn't understand the sadness in the song. I had to quit listening to Dylan's because it was making me sad, and turn to Jimmie's for the upbeat fun of it and showoff guitar riffs. I felt enjoyment and admiration of Hendricks version, but I felt no deeper emotion. I still like both very much, but no longer grant that it is Hendricks' song.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr
morrobay said:
Indeed. For this style of blues Paul Butterfield Blues is it. Saw them live at Cuesta Junior college in Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo early 70's of all places. Was there when they arrived: Big city boys coming to this small converted army base with cows roaming around.
Bet that was good. Most of that band stayed together for a short time after Butterfield left, and I saw them then at the Family Dog, where it was located for a short time at Ocean beach in San Francisco. It was exciting. Steve Miller also played that hard, fast blues style in Chicago and then in San Francisco with Boz Scaggs and Tim Davis, drums. But only a little on his first album (song "Stepping Stone") and then mostly did rock after that.

mathwonk said:
I felt enjoyment and admiration of Hendricks version, but I felt no deeper emotion. I still like both very much, but no longer grant that it is Hendricks' song.
Didn't really like that song that much ever. Thought all the other songs on that album were better, almost. Like Dylan's original version better too. Hendrix was a poet too, though. Words in this song have always stuck with me:

Likes pinball1970 and mathwonk
morrobay said:

morrobay said:
. This cover sounds rock&roll or pop but not blues

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Mary_(song)
"Mary, Mary" is a song written by Michael Nesmith and first recorded by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band for their 1966 album East-West. Nesmith's band, the Monkees, later recorded it for More of the Monkees (1967). Hip hop group Run–D.M.C. revived the song in the late 1980s, with an adaptation that appeared in the U.S. record charts.

Here's the Run DMC version ( start at t=50s )

• Haha
One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer:

John Lee Hooker:

George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers:

I favor George's version. It is to me a Bar Rocked up version of Blues.
Its very fun.

Likes pinball1970, difalcojr and robphy
BillTre said:
One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer:

John Lee Hooker:

George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers:

I favor George's version. It is to me a Bar Rocked up version of Blues.
Its very fun.

I also like George's version.

Here's an earlier version with this title
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Bourbon,_One_Scotch,_One_Beer
… Scotch and Bourbon switched.

https://theimmortaljukebox.com/2018...amos-milburn-one-scotch-one-bourbon-one-beer/

78rpm: One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer - Amos Milburn, 1953 - Aladdin 3197

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, difalcojr and BillTre
mathwonk said:
I want to respectfully suggest that Dylan's version of Lay lady Lay is actually the best of all the many versions out there. I propose that he could actually sing when he wanted to, but chose mostly to sing in that nasal style. I also like his version of All along the watchtower, but of course there he has Jimmy Hendricks to compete with.

As another example, I happen to think his unmusical singing style is actually perfect for Maggie's Farm, but can imagine enjoying Richie Havens singing it too.
Agreed.
Hendrix though ;)

fresh_42 said:
I think it has at least a reason to exist. It is differently interpreted and doesn't destroy the memory of the original. They both are good songs. What makes me angry is, if people cover an already perfect song and ruin it, i.e. if they do not add something, a different interpretation, a different arrangement, or whatever.

This is a cover that makes sense:

Original:

Cover:

... and this is an example where there wasn't any need to record the cover. The original was better and the cover didn't add or change anything. Just the same song, only worse.

Original:

Cover:

True. Imagine, e.g., a remake of Bohemian Rhapsody. How could you improve on that?

Likes pinball1970
How about Rod Stewart's " Do you Think I'm sexy", vs the original Brazilian song?

Or Kiss' 2000 man vs that of the Rolling Stones?

WWGD said:
True. Imagine, e.g., a remake of Bohemian Rhapsody. How could you improve on that?
Some songs can only be ruined by covers. I think John Miles's Music is another example. You can only pimp it with a larger orchestra.

Likes pinball1970
Eddie Cochran's Twenty Flight Rock by the Rolling Stones

Likes pinball1970, jack action and difalcojr
Which version do you like best? The Buddy Holly original?

Or this cover by Blind Faith with Stevie Winwood, Eric Clapton, and Ginger Baker:

Or this Santana cover?

Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Eddie Cochran's Twenty Flight Rock by the Rolling Stones

That was Macca's audition number July 1957 for the Beatles when he had just turned 15. John Lennon was impressed he knew all the words!

difalcojr said:
Like Butterfield's blues version better. Pop is OK, but doesn't have Michael Bloomfield. Think the Monkees learned to play the musical instruments only after they started their band, if I remember right. "East/West" isn't really a blues song, too. It was like one of a kind. Too bad they all did not stay together longer as a band.
They were all were all musical but they were put together for the TV show. Not much live footage of them playing live unfortunately.
Hendrix supported them at one point? That was a weird combo!
Did not last.

difalcojr said:
Which version do you like best? The Buddy Holly original?

Or this cover by Blind Faith with Stevie Winwood, Eric Clapton, and Ginger Baker:

Or this Santana cover?

Sorry but that is a very awkward style and a mistake for Buddy Holly. As well as the covers. Peggy Sue is Buddy Holly.

Likes pinball1970
Buddy Holly, although definitely not one of my favorite songs. My favorite song is, esp. for its punctured rhythm

And I want to mention this hommage to Buddy Holly by my favorite Punk (!) band:

Likes pinball1970
' On a crowded avenue' Oh how I miss New York City

Last edited:
This claimed cover of the Doo Wop song above, by the Skyliners sounds exactly the same?

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
morrobay said:
Sorry but that is a very awkward style and a mistake for Buddy Holly. As well as the covers. Peggy Sue is Buddy Holly.
Sounds good to me, anyway, all his songs. Peggy Sue, especially, good video, thks. Remember that the Flamingo's song was very good for slow dancing. Cover does sound just the same. Cows in New York City?!
How about this old original with three somewhat different covers? I like them all.

. Not bad for a white boy

Likes difalcojr

Likes difalcojr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Pigs

BLACK SABBATH - "War Pigs" (1970)

Faith No More - War Pigs Live at Brixton Academy (1990)

War Pigs - Black Sabbath Cover on Ukulele (2010)

Jack Black singing War Pigs | The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (2011)

Apocalyptica - "War Pigs" [Black Sabbath cover] (Live in Santa Ana 10-2-22)

T-Pain - War Pigs (Live in Detroit) (2023)

Likes difalcojr