Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

• Music
  • Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation discussed which songs were performed, arranged, or produced better in a cover than the original version. They also debated which songs should have been left alone and whether restricting covers to released singles limits interesting comparisons. The discussion also touched on the subjectivity of judging which version is "better" and the importance of adding something unique to a cover. Examples of good and unnecessary covers were also mentioned. Overall, the conversation highlighted the different interpretations and emotions that can be evoked by a cover compared to the original version.
pinball1970 said:
@strangerep will recognize the Ian Gillan connection!
Indeed!

Have you seen the (very poor quality) video of Ian Gillan recording "Gethsemane"? Every time I hear someone else (except Petr Elfimov) sing that song (e.g., John Farnum, and others) I just want to sigh and turn them off. :oldfrown:

Have you seen Petr Elfimov's orchestral renditions of both Gethsemane and Child in Time? Not bad, I thought, although the theatrical aspects of his performance seemed to me a touch (but only a touch) less genuine than Gillan, who always comes across as totally committed.

Likes pinball1970 and Astranut
Science news on Phys.org
strangerep said:
Have you seen the (very poor quality) video of Ian Gillan recording "Gethsemane"?
Yes post #705! The film of JCSS was unwatchable for me. Murray Head was fantastic on the album as was Gillan. @strangerep

Last edited:
These dudes are cover masters (by no means I think the original Zeppelin one is any worse though):

But oh, that guitar solo...

• Love
Likes pinball1970
jogezep said:
These dudes are cover masters (by no means I think the original Zeppelin one is any worse though):

But oh, that guitar solo...

This was posted before I think and I did not give it a chance. Yeah I was very hasty. Great cover.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
The Japanese music scene revolves around TV theme songs. Here's Go Go Maniac!, the theme song to an anime about high school girls who form a rock band. After a year they can play like experts.

Jazz bands do covers of TV theme songs.

Cover by Platina Jazz, Count Basie style. I think they are Russians who live in Tokyo.

Here's another cover, by Maurry. It's pretty close to the not-quite-as-frantic original. Finally someone found a use for the thin sound of the Fender Jazzmaster.

Likes difalcojr

Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
Orig Shake Your Hips by Slim Harpo

Cover by Jesse Dayton

Likes pinball1970
Covering Van Halen's Dreams. I usually don't go for highly accurate covers but this is flabbergasting. A one-man van Halen! I would have thought it a very remote possibility.

Electronic drums are starting to sound as good as the real thing. Easier to carry around, easier to record, easier to control the volume live, and the neighbors less likely to call the cops. Are they cheaper? Real drums appear to be on the way out.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Electronic drums are starting to sound as good as the real thing.
What they are doing with [rubber!] cymbals just amaze me! In the following video, they talk about muting the sound just by touching the cymbal with your fingers! It simply uses the static electricity as a signal.

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
Covering Van Halen's Dreams. I usually don't go for highly accurate covers but this is flabbergasting. A one-man van Halen! I would have thought it a very remote possibility.

Electronic drums are starting to sound as good as the real thing. Easier to carry around, easier to record, easier to control the volume live, and the neighbors less likely to call the cops. Are they cheaper? Real drums appear to be on the way out.
I have played a few and my biggest complaint is that they look, feel and sound crap.
I played bass for a bit just after Covid and the drummer had a set, he spent forever getting a sound and it still sounded rubbish.
I had a go and nothing about it felt or sounded right.
Good for practice if you do not have sound proofing but the feel could affect your technique. Another thread perhaps in the NY.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and difalcojr
This lady is amazing, stumbled upon her looking for Cloud busting, Kate Bush.

"Suspended in Gaffa."

Last edited:
Likes difalcojr
jack action said:
What they are doing with [rubber!] cymbals just amaze me! In the following video, they talk about muting the sound just by touching the cymbal with your fingers! It simply uses the static electricity as a signal.

They are horrible, I never got used to them.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
At local clubs here in Bali three out of three drummers were using electronic drums. Cajon or a suitcase-like thing played with sticks.

Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
At local clubs here in Bali three out of three drummers were using electronic drums. Cajon or a suitcase-like thing played with sticks.
Mm...

These guys don't use them, I've listened to a few now and I think they are great.

Likes Astranut
pinball1970 said:
Mm...

These guys don't use them, I've listened to a few now and I think they are great.

Them boys shore kin sing.

Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970
Enthusiasts of Surf Rock might like to look for recordings (or videos) of Huevos Rancheros group, who do or did cover versions. Very good or excellent in my opinion.

Josh Turner & band - Late In The Evening

Likes pinball1970
rcgldr said:
Josh Turner & band - Late In The Evening

Wow, that's uncanny! He sounds so much like him!

• Wow
Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
Hornbein said:

Wow, that's different! I loved it.

Hornbein said:

This could go on the funk thread!

Likes Astranut
This lass is from Yorkshire, the original was by The Toys and the tune is a based on Bach piece.

Listen to the girls tone, she captures the original I think.

Last edited:
Likes Astranut
Some Yes, just voice and piano.

Likes difalcojr
Tell me you don't want to be 19 again living in a student house like this.
Baby Driver

Likes Astranut
These guys are great.

And your bird can sing

Likes Hornbein
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_of_Souls
When I finished the solo to this one, Mustaine came into the studio, listened to it down once, turned around and without saying a word, shook my hand. It was at that moment that I felt like I was truly the guitarist for this band.

https://martyfriedman.com/info_archive_detail.php?id=13&det=83

Megadeth - "Tornado of Souls" [London '92] | Remastered 4K 60FPS
(solo)

each version below has its merits

[ funny ]
Marty Friedman - Tornado of Souls (Solo) - Live at Bogota (Colombia) Fernando Sor Auditorium 12/04/2018

Megadeth - Tornado Of Souls - Cover by Tina S
(solo)

Tornado of Souls - Megadeth - Solo Cover by Federica Golisano with Cort X700 Duality

Tornado of Souls cover by Metabrigade @IET LUCKNOW
(solo)

Tornado of Souls - Megadeth (Multi-Instrumental Cover) By Owen Davey
(solo)

Honorable mention:

(update) - SENA_DIH - Megadeth - Tornado of souls Guitar Cover | Cort G300 Glam #윤세나 - (solo)

[silly but creative, last one is serious]
Bradley Hall - Tornado Of Souls Solo But It's REALLY HAPPY
Bradley Hall - Playing The Tornado Of Souls Solo With My Shoes (Tornado Of SOLES!)
Bradley Hall - Tornado Of Souls Solo On STEROIDS (150% Speed)
Bradley Hall - Tornado Of Souls Solo BACKWARDS
(update) - Bradley Hall - If Tornado Of Souls And Hotel California SWITCHED Solos!
Bradley Hall - ☢️ RUST IN PEACE ☢️ Full Album, Full Band Playthrough! - (solo)

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970
While touring Marty Friedman needed something to do other than drugs, so he took courses in Japanese. He then moved there long ago. He has his own tv show.

pinball1970 said:
These guys are great.

And your bird can sing

I believe this is the origin of the double guitar thing, later picked up by Thin Lizzy.

Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
I believe this is the origin of the double guitar thing, later picked up by Thin Lizzy.
I always thought George recorded this double track as it is so hard to play.
That sound was unique at the time, I cannot think of a harmonized solo like this prior to 1964 in popular music. Some of the jazz guys did that George Benson octave stuff and guys like Joe Pass could play insane things but I don't think the Beatles would have been exposed to that sort of Jazz very much? From what I remember anyway, it was Rock and roll, concert hall, ballads, skiffle, folk. Specifically Elvis, Bill Hayley, Roy Orbison,Lonnie Donegan, Everly Bros, Buddy Holly.

EDIT: Paul and George played this and I had forgot about The Byrds. They were listening to Dylan and those guys at that time too.

The great thing about the Beatles was that they did everything in one take in those days, hardly any wasted studio time. Totally professional at such a young age.

Mostly....